PDA

View Full Version : Growth Rate question

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Hey guys,

I purchased 14 discus from Hans at the end of April. I am wanting to see how my growth rate measures.

The discus I grabbed for measurement isn't my biggest but isn't my smallest either. It is above average for the school.

I purchased the discus at 2.5". It is now a tad bit over 5.5" and its middle Oct. So a little over 5 1/2 months, close to 6 months.

Is that rate good, decent, bad? Any help or comparisons would be great and much appreciated.

The discus are kept in a 180 gallon community tank built around the discus.

Skip
10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=83071

go to this link. it talks about how to measure a discus.. just a little fyi

read john_nicholsons post at the bottom

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Okay, good response.

I took the fish out of the tank and measured from nose to the end of the tail. So that is where the 5.5 inch just a tad bit over came from.

Jennie
10-14-2010, 10:35 PM
hmmm that's kinda extreme growth. can you post a pic with it swimming by a ruler against the glass?
Hey guys,

I purchased 14 discus from Hans at the end of April. I am wanting to see how my growth rate measures.

The discus I grabbed for measurement isn't my biggest but isn't my smallest either. It is above average for the school.

I purchased the discus at 2.5". It is now a tad bit over 5.5" and its middle Oct. So a little over 5 1/2 months, close to 6 months.

Is that rate good, decent, bad? Any help or comparisons would be great and much appreciated.

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
You may have to wait on me getting a good picture with the tape measure or ruler up against the glass with them. Its the first time I've ever pulled one of them out of the tank and they are a little nervous, not bad.

I can get some general pictures though and will try to post them in a bit.

I am not very good at posting pictures though, so bear with me.

Skip
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
You may have to wait on me getting a good picture with the tape measure or ruler up against the glass with them. Its the first time I've ever pulled one of them out of the tank and they are a little nervous, not bad.

I can get some general pictures though and will try to post them in a bit.

I am not very good at posting pictures though, so bear with me.

you need to get a photobucket account. its free.. then you get the link from there and insert into the PHOTO icon.. BAMM!!! done!..

ZX10R
10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey guys,

That is good for you but sucks for me. I ordered 8 2.5" discus from him in April also and mine might be 3.5" now. I swear I am doing something wrong because I feel like they just are not growing like they should.

Skip
10-14-2010, 11:00 PM
ZX.. did you read the thread i posted about HOW TO MEASURE>.. it might help..

ZX10R
10-14-2010, 11:08 PM
ZX.. did you read the thread i posted about HOW TO MEASURE>.. it might help..

Ya it is very hard for me to tell since I have a 92 gallon corner tank. My front glass is curved and the two straight side are against the wall. That curved glass makes everything look bigger then what it is.

Altum Nut
10-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Thats a bonus ZX10R.
Your 3.5" fish may look like a 8"-10" in your bow front tank.

...Ralph

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Anyone have any ideas why I am getting an error everytime i try to save these pictures to photobucket? Doesn't give me an explanation, just says failed.

The pictures aren't the best in the world, but they should give a general idea.

Upload failed for fish1.JPG with error: File not uploaded

95 kb pic size.

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 11:39 PM
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10820.jpg

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10821.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10822.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10824.jpg

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm a terrible photographer with a not so hot camera. The tank looks a lot better I promise. I can't get the damn flash off on this camera so everything looks weird.

You should still be able to see the overall body of the fish. Once again the tank is a 180 gallon so keep that in perspective.

I am going to have some really good pictures taken in the next couple weeks by a good photographer.

Skip
10-14-2010, 11:46 PM
nice reds... sir! what do you/have you been feeding them?

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Thank you.

Sheez I really wish these pictures did them any justice what-so-ever.

I make my own beefheart/seafood mix at home. I use Al's blackworms, tetra color bits, ON Prime Reef and ON Formula one, bloodworms, brine shrimp and some different flakes from Ken.

I feed a lot. A whole lot while I'm here and not working. i was hoping I was getting some good growth rate.

I'll try to get some actual good pictures soon.

Skip
10-14-2010, 11:51 PM
where in texas are you

TonyAPBTx
10-14-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm in WV. On the Western side close to KY and OH.

APBT is a dog breed. I had to put the X on the end of my name because on another dog site I posted on in the past the name without the x was taken. Consistency helps me remember my logins/passwords. I need all the help I can get with all my various logins and passwords at work.

Skip
10-14-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm in WV. On the Western side close to KY and OH.

APBT is a dog breed. I had to put the X on the end of my name because on another dog site I posted on in the past the name without the x was taken. Consistency helps me remember my logins/passwords. I need all the help I can get with all my various logins and passwords at work.

:thumbsup:

TonyAPBTx
10-15-2010, 12:07 AM
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10826.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10827.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10828.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/stephesi82/SDC10829.jpg

Here are a couple more I managed.

Please, as many opinions on the growth rate and size is appreciated.

I do have a couple runts and am already planning a new home for them grow in. A 30 gallon I'm getting little use out of. I will then be replacing those discus with some discus I've been wanting a while :) Wahoo.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Yup, thats decent growth, you did a good job. ;)

Jennie
10-15-2010, 06:21 AM
i'm jealous.:(

Eddie
10-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Don't be worried. ;)

ZX10R
10-15-2010, 06:58 AM

I am also jealous mine are no were near that size in the same amount of time.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 07:01 AM

I am also jealous mine are no were near that size in the same amount of time.

Few things you guys might to take a look at are the foods you feed, how often you feed, are there larger fish in the tank, water change frequency, water composition, etc.

Jennie
10-15-2010, 07:02 AM
weird I thought I replied. In almost 5 months I've tripled the size of my turk but
am only 3.5 in SL size. Here I thought I was doing good

Jennie
10-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Eddie, I'm as anal as you EXCEPT I don't keep barebottom and yet to make beefheart. so feed BH flake.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Eddie, I'm as anal as you EXCEPT I don't keep barebottom and yet to make beefheart. so feed BH flake.

LOL, yeah....I am pretty (highlighted word above). Whats your GH and KH? Just curious

Jennie
10-15-2010, 07:18 AM
got no clue. never tested. would this have an effect on slow growth, yet just slow it and not cause stunting? Other people grow their fish out in Co. tap water just fine but I never think to ask them the time frame in which they do this
LOL, yeah....I am pretty (highlighted word above). Whats your GH and KH? Just curious

Eddie
10-15-2010, 07:25 AM
got no clue. never tested. would this have an effect on slow growth, yet just slow it and not cause stunting? Other people grow their fish out in Co. tap water just fine but I never think to ask them the time frame in which they do this

If the fish don't get a certain amount of nutrients from food, water can also be a big help. Biggest and fastest growing fish I have ever seen EVER, were raised in some HARD water. Growth like you could not imagine! Some people have the same growth in very soft water also but they feed a good mix that is full of essential vitamins/minerals.

Jennie
10-15-2010, 07:26 AM
what's your take on BH flake verses BH mix

Eddie
10-15-2010, 07:29 AM
what's your take on BH flake verses BH mix

Not the same, nothing like a thick chunk of homemade mix. I feel that it retains more, nutrient wise.

Jennie
10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
thanx

Altum Nut
10-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Jen, I thought all Italian women were good in the kitchen.
Making your own mix should be a breeze.
I sure sometime during your life you witnessed sausage making in the basement.

...Ralph

Jennie
10-15-2010, 08:21 AM
I was raised by an italian mother, but I am german,scotch and irish:D that throws a wrench in EVERYTHING!

Tito
10-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Based on the OP said - everything posible is fed to these fish and since the OP is at home throughout the fish can be fed throughout.

Want fast growing Discus - spend 10 hours a day in front of the tank and just feed them and feed them and feed them.

If you work for a living and feed in the morning and when you get home...
the fish will grow slower, much slower. I think that's why it's best to purchase 4.5 fish or better. Forget about growing them out.

Here's my new Simply Discus exclusive slogan....

Gotta job, don't grow Discus out. Fogedabouit.

P.S. This is a very cruel reality about the Discus hobby - growing Discus is an extremly dificult task and many fail.

I even consider my efforts a failure - while I've done ok, I see now that in order to get that perfect round shape in a Discus - you really need to get them to that 6" mark and I'm talking mouth to base of tail (SL) not TL. It seems that the larger they are the more readily they attain this shape. Kinda sorta like they fill in right at the larger size.

Jennie
10-15-2010, 08:33 AM
oh, you make me think about the food now! back years ago I would go with my mom to the mom/pop meat deli. Loved the smells when I walked in. tThose stores long gone now:(

ZX10R
10-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Few things you guys might to take a look at are the foods you feed, how often you feed, are there larger fish in the tank, water change frequency, water composition, etc.

I feed mine 5 times a day with FDBW, FBS, FBW, Hans food recipe, and flake. I can't remember off the top of my head what my water hardness is but I know it is more on the hard side. I am doing a 40% WC every night with aged water. I think some of my problem started back when I first got my juvies. I was only doing a WC every three days with feeding 5 times a day. I believe this was making my water pretty dirty and it was not clean enough for the fish.

Skip
10-15-2010, 09:17 AM
:computer:Tito.. i am with you! i wish i could feed them every 2-3 hrs. .but this dang work gets in the way.. NOW>. if Discus was my JOB .. that would be another story.. ummmm.. we do have about 1/3 of our office building that isn't being used except for little storage.. maybe i should just ask my dad (the boss).. i want to start my own company?! maybe i could the space for free!! being that i am "down the brown" probably get some kind of small bizness loan.. since the goverment likes to give money out small bizness minority owners.. well, in AUSTIN they do.. its kind of liberal town stuck in the middle of a very conservative state... ... :gossip: i need to do research!! :computer:

TonyAPBTx
10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey thanks for all the responses.

I do work all day during the day and have an hour commute each way, so I'm not at home all that often. Occasionally the wifey will throw some food in there for me.

When I am home though I feed a lot and feed some pretty good foods.

I use a very similar beef heart mix as to what Eddie uses and I tried to use his recipe as a guideline for mine. I think this makes a HUGE difference and a big thank you to Eddie for the help there.

On a scale of 1-10 how would this growth rate? I'm just really curious as this is the first time I've ever grown out discus and don't really have anything else to base my experience on.

I am also curious because I have put in quite a bit of work to get some growth, haha.

Thanks again guys.

Oh and I do have a harder water than what would be considered normal.

ZX10R
10-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey thanks for all the responses.

I do work all day during the day and have an hour commute each way, so I'm not at home all that often. Occasionally the wifey will throw some food in there for me.

When I am home though I feed a lot and feed some pretty good foods.

I use a very similar beef heart mix as to what Eddie uses and I tried to use his recipe as a guideline for mine. I think this makes a HUGE difference and a big thank you to Eddie for the help there.

On a scale of 1-10 how would this growth rate? I'm just really curious as this is the first time I've ever grown out discus and don't really have anything else to base my experience on.

I am also curious because I have put in quite a bit of work to get some growth, haha.

Thanks again guys.

I know I am not a expert but I give you a 10 :thumbsup:
For being a beginner like me with raising juvies and you got your fish to grow 3" in 6 months. I couldn't do it with fish from the same source and around the same time frame.

DerekFF
10-15-2010, 01:31 PM
How about mixing in some sea salt? Not a lot, but some, to help raise the KH/HG and overall mineral content of our water for grow out? Do you think this would benefit as there are a TON of minerals in sea salt.

If the fish don't get a certain amount of nutrients from food, water can also be a big help. Biggest and fastest growing fish I have ever seen EVER, were raised in some HARD water. Growth like you could not imagine! Some people have the same growth in very soft water also but they feed a good mix that is full of essential vitamins/minerals.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 06:50 PM

You are welcome Tony, anything I can do to help out. If you are looking for a rating on how well for your first time then I'd say around 10 also. Really good growth on them, no set backs from disease, good genetics and your hard wark really paid off. They still have growing to do and will definitely fill out over the next 6 months.

I figured your water was bit on the hard side, thats always a plus.

How about mixing in some sea salt? Not a lot, but some, to help raise the KH/HG and overall mineral content of our water for grow out? Do you think this would benefit as there are a TON of minerals in sea salt.

I've used it before Derek, my last group of fry were raised with a good amount of sea salt mix in the water but I have moved on to something more concentrated. Something without the added salt. ;)

TonyAPBTx
10-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I also want to say that the freeze dried black worms I got from Al also make a huge difference.

Without a doubt it adds mass and I can tell a big difference since I started feeding the worms. I didn't start using them until about half way through. Very clean as well and just a great overall food.