PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Bloods

nc0gnet0
10-15-2010, 01:10 PM
I have seen countless threads regarding the crossing of Pigeon Bloods strains with other strains and the resultant offspring being heavily peppered. But, does the same apply when you cross two clean Pigeon Bloods together as well? Do you always have a high cull ratio when breeding PB's?

Keith Perkins
10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
No, the same does not apply when you match up a good pair of pigeons. You may end up with just the same amount and types of culls as you would with a pair of turqs, or only have a few that you cull for peppering.

Harriett
10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
My understanding is that oddly enough, when you breed 2 pretty clean PBs together, the fry have LESS of a tendency to pepper, i.e. they are cleaner. That's how you get a clean PB line--breed clean with clean for a few generations and they get REAL clean! A mix of PB + non PB and they get schmutzier.
Best regards,
Harriett

nc0gnet0
10-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Ok, but does the same apply when crossing different types of pigeon bloods, as long as both types are clean? For instance a really clean Red Melon with a really clean Pearl Pigeon (just picked that out of the blue) or any other number of possibilities?

DiscusOnly
10-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I haven't bred and grow out enough different pairs but I had about 10%-15% of heavy peppered babies from this pair.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Funny enough, people say crossing a pigeon with a none pigeon will produce heavily peppered fry. I have seen some SUPER clean pigeons come from crosses with non pigeon types. And actually, Andrew Soh gives pointers in one of his books on how to clean up peppering in pigeons BY crossing with non-pigeon strains. Just wanted to throw that out there. ;)

But as other mentioned, crossing pigeon to pigeon will keep peppering to a minimum. Something else to consider is the parents of the male and female, their genes.

Keith Perkins
10-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Funny enough, people say crossing a pigeon with a none pigeon will produce heavily peppered fry. I have seen some SUPER clean pigeons come from crosses with non pigeon types. And actually, Andrew Soh gives pointers in one of his books on how to clean up peppering in pigeons BY crossing with non-pigeon strains. Just wanted to throw that out there. ;)

But as other mentioned, crossing pigeon to pigeon will keep peppering to a minimum. Something else to consider is the parents of the male and female, their genes.

This is certainly true, crossing with a golden discus is often talked about to get cleaner pigeons. I just didn't go there because the question was about breeding a pair of clean pigeons, good additional info though.