PDA

View Full Version : slightly worried about my discus

matt morgan
10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi all,
Just wondering if this is normal behaviour or not?

My lights turn off at around 7-8 pm, just checked my discus now at 9 and they are all very lathargic and staying close to the bottom almost looking ill. The fish were eating healthily and swimming around as normal earlier.

Do discus "sleep" in a way by becoming lethargic and breathing slowly?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Jennie
10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
yes, they rest

boxters
10-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Discus commonly lye flat on their sides when tired. If they were sick you will notice an increase in gill rate which is a sign of stress

Love Discus
10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
yes, they rest
+1 DL

fishorama
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
My discus don't lie down in the evening or ever, I'd freak out if they did. They do rest lower in the tank all at 1 end, maybe tummies touching the bottom but nothing sideways...

scottthomas
10-15-2010, 10:09 PM
As others have said, It is normal for your discus to become pale and rest near the bottom when lights are out. Be careful not to startle them or they can become injured from crashing into the glass when in this state.

I have had a couple that always lie down flat whenever I do water changes. They only do this during the actual change and then swim around as if nothing happened as soon as I am finished cleaning the tank. I assumed that others have this happen as well.

Keith Perkins
10-15-2010, 10:29 PM
All mine lie flat when I'm doing WCs, but in 2 inches of water or less they don't have much choice. :D