PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Help, Please!

JaVia
10-17-2010, 09:56 PM
So My 65 gallon tank needs a new light.... it is 36 across and 24 inches deep.... It is going to be a planted tank, the substrate is sand.... So here is my issue, I have been doing A LOT of research and after it all, I am more confused than ever....
First I was told a minimum 96 w, but preferably over 120 watts, after that I was told something different so, I was planning on getting T5 lighting, I was told with T5 that for a low-tech tank I would only need 78 watts, but then I was told T5 is too much for a low-tech tank and I will have issues with green water and algae bloom.
So then I was looking at LED which I have little to no information about....

So someone PLEASE help, I am beyond confused. My plans are Low-tech (no CO2 injection), some fert, sand base (already in place and cycled), Swords and Crypts, plus Discus

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2010, 10:24 PM
So My 65 gallon tank needs a new light.... it is 36 across and 24 inches deep.... It is going to be a planted tank, the substrate is sand.... So here is my issue, I have been doing A LOT of research and after it all, I am more confused than ever....
First I was told a minimum 96 w, but preferably over 120 watts, after that I was told something different so, I was planning on getting T5 lighting, I was told with T5 that for a low-tech tank I would only need 78 watts, but then I was told T5 is too much for a low-tech tank and I will have issues with green water and algae bloom.
So then I was looking at LED which I have little to no information about....

So someone PLEASE help, I am beyond confused. My plans are Low-tech (no CO2 injection), some fert, sand base (already in place and cycled), Swords and Crypts, plus Discus

I did a two light T5 for my low light, planted tank. The one on my 46 bow front 36x16x21 is a wave point with 78 watts. I would replace the marine bulbs with freshwater bulbs.

cooksa
10-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Have you tried "the Planted Tank" forum? I've been doing some research as I'm going to convert my 60cube into planted. Just a thought. They probably can help (if they're not the one's who confused you in the first place!). :)

waj8
10-18-2010, 09:00 PM
The watts per gallon rule has always been a very rough guide. These days with the first class fixtures that are available the rule is an even worse predictor of light levels. There is a vast difference in the efficiency of light fixtures at getting light to the bottom of a 2' deep tank. The best fixtures are those that have linear T5 lamps with individual specular reflectors.

One of the best resources for choosing plants is the Tropica.com. They have all the plants rated for the range of light they grow in with a little graphic of 1 to 5 dots. You should be able to grow quite a few plants that require only 2 out of 5 lighting with just 2 t5 39 watt lamps. The medium light plants would do better with 3 lamps. 4 lamps would be a high light tank. I very strongly recommend to go with the T5 lamps and good reflectors. I recently switched from a poorly designed light fixture with 8 T5HO lamps to a fixture with 6 T5HO lamps in my 120 gallon tank. I measured the light levels at the bottom of the tank using the same lamps and the high quality fixture doubled the light at the bottom of the tank. Less wattage, more light.

scottishbloke
10-19-2010, 12:01 AM
The watts per gallon rule has always been a very rough guide. These days with the first class fixtures that are available the rule is an even worse predictor of light levels. There is a vast difference in the efficiency of light fixtures at getting light to the bottom of a 2' deep tank. The best fixtures are those that have linear T5 lamps with individual specular reflectors.

One of the best resources for choosing plants is the Tropica.com. They have all the plants rated for the range of light they grow in with a little graphic of 1 to 5 dots. You should be able to grow quite a few plants that require only 2 out of 5 lighting with just 2 t5 39 watt lamps. The medium light plants would do better with 3 lamps. 4 lamps would be a high light tank. I very strongly recommend to go with the T5 lamps and good reflectors. I recently switched from a poorly designed light fixture with 8 T5HO lamps to a fixture with 6 T5HO lamps in my 120 gallon tank. I measured the light levels at the bottom of the tank using the same lamps and the high quality fixture doubled the light at the bottom of the tank. Less wattage, more light.

+1 The above is excellent advice. The watts per gallon rule is virtually useless for today's T5HO bulbs, even if the efficiency of the actual fixture itself and reflectors are not factored in. I use Hagen Glo T5HO linear fixtures which have excellent reflectors. My former 55g low-tech planted grew in nicely using only one 54watt T5HO bulb, and after a year traded all my excess plants to the LFS to get a double fixture of the same type. With 3 bulbs, I ended up with so many plants to trade, I got an Eheim Pro 2224 and eventually a Pro 3 2075 as well; I could not have bought these filters otherwise, they are so expensive. So, yes, get a quality T5HO fixture with good reflectors and 6700k bulbs to go with it, and your plants should do great. Just don't leave them on much longer than 8 hours a day, as doing that will indeed result in algae problems later.

My 2 cents,

Scottishbloke

JaVia
10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys! One more question, what brand makes a good T5 light?
I have a coral life in my back tank but I am not sure how good of a light that is.

Second Hand Pat
10-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Check out the online reviews at place like marine depot or foster and smith.

Herbicidal
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys! One more question, what brand makes a good T5 light?
I have a coral life in my back tank but I am not sure how good of a light that is.I'm partial to the offerings by Catalina Aquarium (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/). I've purchased T5HO lights for my 155 gallon tank (mounted within the canopy) and for my wife's 90 gallon. We bought her a 48 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 54W light with built in 'moonlights'. It sits on the optional 'legs'. It is a very nice unit! This is in the Aquatic Specials section. I am very fortunate that I live close enough I can drive over and pick them up from the shop.

JaVia
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm partial to the offerings by Catalina Aquarium (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/). I've purchased T5HO lights for my 155 gallon tank (mounted within the canopy) and for my wife's 90 gallon. We bought her a 48 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 54W light with built in 'moonlights'. It sits on the optional 'legs'. It is a very nice unit! This is in the Aquatic Specials section. I am very fortunate that I live close enough I can drive over and pick them up from the shop.

That is actually a brand I am highly considering right now!
This is the light I am looking at:

Any input?
36 IN SOLAR AQUARIUM HOOD POWER COMPACT-4 X 36W
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_74&products_id=1169

Herbicidal
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM
That is actually a brand I am highly considering right now!
This is the light I am looking at:

Any input?
36 IN SOLAR AQUARIUM HOOD POWER COMPACT-4 X 36W
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_74&products_id=1169From personal experience I don't think you can go wrong with lighting from Catalina. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of their products. I've met the owner, Jim, several times and he's a real stand up guy. If you choose to order it, you can have him swap the bulbs around to what you want. I don't think you would want a blue actinic which comes standard. I don't see it listed as an option, but I think you can get legs for it too. Would you be hanging it above your aquarium or sitting it on top? What size aquarium? My 155 has a canopy, so I bought the retrofit versions that I mounted to the top of the inside of the canopy. This keeps them completely out of the way when I open the glass top for feeding, etc.

JaVia
10-29-2010, 06:11 PM
My tank is a 65 gallon 24 inch tall tank. I am planning on sitting it on top of the tank (glass) because it has a canopy on top. Do not worry, it is not an enclosed canopy! It looks solid, but the top is slated with PLENTY of ventilation.

I was thinking two 6500k lights and two 10,000k lights. I do not think I would run all four lights at the same time except maybe for an hour or two around noon.

Should I pay extra to have a fan installed or will it be noisy?
Also is the power compact bad? Should I go for the T5?

How would this compare
36 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 2 X 39W

I want this:
36 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 39W but I can not afford it right now :(

waj8
10-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I would not get the compact hood. It is impossible to design a proper reflector that will work in such a small space. For planted tanks it is the light at the bottom of the tank that matters. A proper reflector makes a huge difference. You are far better served buying the more expensive hood with the individual reflectors. In addition if t5 lamps are operated at temperatures significantly above 35 degrees C. lamp life and light output will be adversely affected. Looks like you might need a fan especially with the compact hood. I think the price they are asking including the lamps for the better fixture is very reasonable. The other one though, you get what you pay for.