PDA

View Full Version : Fluval FX5 Mechanical Noise...

Sharkbait
10-18-2010, 12:35 AM
This is the first time I've experienced this...

I've had my Fluval FX5 (and have loved it) for 2 years. It's been quiet as a mouse, minus a couple times that it would sound like bubbles were inside it, but that subsided.

I did a water change today and now all of a sudden I hear a mechanical noise.

I took the filter apart again, cleaned out the the canister portion, put it back, and the noise is still there. It's late and I'm going to bed soon, so I'll have another look in the morning.

I'm thinking that I might have to take apart the motor and clean that out.

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do?

Cheers
-Aaron

Sharkbait
10-18-2010, 12:54 AM
...Update...

Yes...quick I know. So I did some reading (got really flustered about this - I'm a stickler for noise) and apparently the media had something to do with it.

I removed a water polishing pad, and it seemed to do the trick. It's doing it's gurgling noise, but I know that subsides in time.

Just in case anyone else has this problem, don't replace your motor yet - you might just have to remove some media.

Any idea why it would sound like that?

2wheelsx2
10-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Putting in the polishing pad slowed the flow enough that it might have cause your pump to cavitate. That's why I always advise against using fine filtration media in high flow filters. It's fine when the media is clean, but it's terrible when it starts to get clogged. I just recently removed my polishing pad from my XP3 for this reason. When it starts to get clogged the noise level would go up.