PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for changing tank about needed please

academy
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

I currently have 6 discus in a 300l planted tank that I picked up from devotedly discus in may and they have come on really well, there seems to be 2 two seperate pairs that lay eggs (and protect them for 2 days before eating them) maybe twice a week so I am assuming i am keeping the water clean enough as it stands. They get fed twice a day on beefheart and then either brineshrimp or bloodworm of an evening and 30-40% water change 3 times a week with a jbl 1500 external filter and tetra tec 1200 external filter.

However we are having a lot of work done indoors so temporarily moved the tank out into the conservatory (not ideal I know but it has only been for a week) and aim to move it back in during the next day or so. I want to go bare bottom as I love how crystal clear the tanks normally look (and you dont have bits of plant floating about all over the place). The wife, bless her is dead against it so we have agreed on going for a sand substrate (possibly argos play sand) and some sort of branch/root looking driftwood. I have no experience of using sand but am I correct in thinking that the food waste cant get lodged/stuck in it? Do I have to worry about the sand being turned over? (no idea if this makes any sense but am sure I read it somewhere that either corys or some type of snail should be kept when using sand). Does anyone know of any pics showing tanks with that look? I see one that was stunning before but have since searched and cannot find it.

Also, as a background does anyone know if its possible to fix those 3d effect ones to the outside of a tank? only when I move them back I can only have them out of the tank for a short while so would not be able to fix them to the inside.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of silly questions but when I use the gravel vac and see the amount of gunk that it brings up I just wanted to try something different,

Thanks, any tips or advice appreciated (obviously not the "don't eat yellow snow" type tips!

DonMD
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Many discus keepers like to use sand as a substrate. I don't know about the UK, but here in the states most of us use sand from a swimming pool supply store. It's sand intended for pool filtration, is very clean, hard silica, and is relatively inexpensive, compared to most substrates on the market.

It's gets a little dirty over time, but it's easy to vacuum. Good luck.

academy
10-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks for that, going to give the sand a go

discuspaul
10-19-2010, 10:35 PM
If you want to have a look at a tank using that white silica pool filter sand, check mine out:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul