PDA

View Full Version : 3 of 6 discus ailing

lens
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
I picked up 6x 3" discus on Labor Day. I had a nitrite spike a few weeks later due to overfeeding, but adding some Prime and feeding better seemed to solve the issue. Right after the nitrite spike there was an ich breakout, so I raised the temp to 88 and that seemed to take care of it. The black discus (really a blue snakeskin) ate well at first and then abruptly stopped. He seemed to get his color back a bit and then darken again for a while, now he is nearly black and I fear it is too late for him. This has been going on for at least 4 weeks and today he appears to have some fin damage.

The pair of red pigeons never ate much of anything since bringing them home six weeks ago. I mostly feed the beef recipe (which they have never touched) but started giving them frozen bloodworms once a day and they might eat a couple every other day or so. They aren't growing at all.

What should I do for these ailing fish? I have 3 other discus that appear to be thriving and growing like weeds in the same tank.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The red pigeons have been headstanding about 45 degrees as pictured (and worse) frequently and have never really eaten much of anything. They also tend to stay up at the top of the tank somewhat hidden.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I ran a course of Metro per Carol's instructions to combat some flaggelates in one of the other fish and that seemed to work like a charm (started eating again, no more stringy white excrement) but did nothing for the red pigeons.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
55 gal
2 months
6 discus, 10 cardinals, 5 corys, 1 clown loach, 1 pleco

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
50% daily/2 months/very thin gravel layer/yes

6 Parameters and water source;
- temp: 86
- ph: 8.0
- ammonia reading: 0
- nitrite reading: 0
- nitrate reading: ____
- well water: no
- municipal water: yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
All the fish other than the clown loach and pleco were added on 9/6 (Labor Day). Other than that I only have artificial plants and decor that were added on the same day or before.

Skip
10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
couple of things..

clown loach tend to be BOISTEROUS compared to discus and can bring them alot of stress.. that one that is dark.. is not going to grow much more. he has HUGE EYES>. compared to his body. and so did a couple of others what i could see..

which fish were added first.. the discus or pleco/loach? you were not clear..

Eddie
10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
The dark fish and the others around him are definitely in bad shape. Internal issues are the culprit here and everything else is following suit. I'd deworm them first using levamisole.

Eddie