PDA

View Full Version : screwy situation

discusmoose
10-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Has Anyone ever witnessed this ?
Im relaxing, watching my 265 gal, there are 14 large adult discus in there. They are all my missmatched singles from growing young and letting them pair off, so there are no matched pairs.
Anyway, I digress.... Im watching and notice a albino tourq. and a marlboro red spawning on a gnarled piece of driftwood that takes up most of one side.
I sat down on the carpet with some iced tea for a front row view, BOTH were taking turns laying eggs, Now I have had 2 females "spawn" before, but here is the wierd part, a larger red checkerboard pigeon swam over and fertilized the eggs (he is deffinatly a male, his tube is way out) ! , weather he is fertile is a question, but, I have had them switch partners in a community tank, But never breed with 2 females at the same time ! He is guarding the area from the other discus in the tank, but the 2 "girls" (for sure as I can see the tubes) are fine there and with each other !
If they continue as a trio Id be shocked, but they are "group spawning in turn".
it will be awesome to watch, definatly a new one on me.
Doc "B"

joshua 74
10-19-2010, 03:39 AM
thats really cool!

DiscusLoverJeff
10-19-2010, 11:15 AM
That is a most impressive situation you have there. Could you people on this website be any luckier? I ask again, could you all be? Lol.

My pair spawns and in 24 hours, no more eggs.

keep us posted on their progress as this situation can turn out really nice for you.

Pictures maybe????

Congratulations

diveshooter
10-20-2010, 12:30 AM
This will be an interesting thread to follow. Hopefully all 3 will show good parenting skills. Post pictures!

jceyip
10-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Video is even better.

discusmoose
10-20-2010, 04:45 AM
2 are still Guarding the eggs and fanning. There is a TON of eggs there.
The other female seems to have lost interest.
Few white eggs others look good, The pair is removing the white ones.
still hopeful, but , its a first spawn all around.
Doc "B"

LizStreithorst
10-20-2010, 11:07 AM
It happens sometimes. I've had it happen. As you have seen the male and a female will eventually choose one another, and one will be left out. Good luck with the spawn.

Problemman
10-20-2010, 01:35 PM
This is neat but I bet the amount of babies are going to be way to much workfor just to parents. We will see.would live to see some pics off the trio though

nc0gnet0
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
My money is on them getting eaten......A woman scorned............

dxiong5
10-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Interesting situation - I read about something similar in the latest issue of TFH magazine. Keep us updated on this spawn.

discusmoose
10-20-2010, 11:54 PM
as of about 10 minutes ago,
the "pair" has moved about 100 (aprox) to the underside back corner of the driftwood, they are wiggling.
There are many scattered white eggs and a few fry left in the spawn site, but are quickly being eaten by other fish.
The pair is guarding the moved fry, and are not going back to the spawn site.
My guess is there were about 180-250 eggs laid. most appear to have gone bad, they were pretty spead out.
it takes a contortionist to see them where they are now.
The 2nd female is out of the picture, feeding and doing her own thing.
Doc "B"

Problemman
10-21-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm guessing they will make it though

ShinShin
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Not quite the same, but I had 2 females laying in 2 different locations, with one male swimming between the 2 locations, fertilizing both spawns.

Mat

Problemman
10-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Shinshinthat would be funny to watch

discusmoose
10-28-2010, 01:26 AM
pr still guarding and swimming with the male and 1 of the females, They are netted off from other fish. Just a little bigger and Ill move them. they are definatly 2 different spawns, (2 females anyway).Other female hs taken up with a green turk (for now)
Doc "B"

Kingdom Come Discus
10-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Sounds like you are having a blast with that 265.

I will talk to you later this morning, much later.

Have a great day,