PDA

View Full Version : Can I refreeze food???

BODYDUB
10-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Is it safe to refreeze my frozen mix (beef heart, brine shrimp, flakes, red worms) throughout the day ? Or can I just keep it in the fridge for that day then start over the next?
Thanx

JeremieMcD
10-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I would say yes becausei refreeze my food blends when I make medicated food, for example I'll let the medcine soak into the blood worms in the refrigerator then re freeze it after the meds soak into the food, works for me , do not let it sit in room temp to long,

Altum Nut
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Bodydub,

The blood worm as mentioned appears to be ok.
However, I find that we prepare our home mixes and try to get all the air out when packaging prior to freezing. If mix thaws and you refreeze it, it appears frost builds up and is more likely to get freezer burn.
We don't refreeze meats for human consumption.
Just my thought,

...Ralph

DiscusLoverJeff
10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
As someone with a culinary degree, you never re-freeze any meat products whether for fish or human because the bacteria count can multiply rapidly.

Something to read:

Frozen food defrosted or thawed in the refrigerator may be refrozen. However, the bacteria in food can multiply even at low temperatures. Refrigerating food will not stop bacterial growth: just slow it. So do not refreeze food that has be defrosted for some time even if it has been refrigerated the whole time.

Freezing meat will cause a loss of quality as the ice crystals break cell walls. Freezing, defrosting and refreezing will make this loss of quality much greater, so be aware that refrozen meat (cooked or raw) will be of lower quality than once frozen meat. Also remember that freezing does not kill off the bacteria, so bacterial growth will pick up again once thawed.

It may be better to freeze the thawed meat after it has been cooked.
Refreezing meat isn't a good idea. But if you must, the meat should not have been old the first time it was frozen, it should have been thawed under refrigeration and then frozen again shortly after being thawed. Realize that the quality of the meat will be negatively affected. The flavor will likely degrade and the meat will be drier and tougher when cooked.

It's important to remember that a lot of store bought meat has already been frozen and thawed once (it will say "previously frozen" somewhere on the label). If you buy meat, take it home, throw it in the freezer, then thaw and refreeze it again later the meat has then been frozen three times.

Skip
10-21-2010, 02:58 PM
STOP SCREWING AROUND IN SD and make US SOME creme brulee!!!! ;)

*i fixed typo! ;)

Altum Nut
10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
STOP SCREWING IN SD and make US SOME creme brulee!!!! ;)

Hahahahaha
Skip...your the best.
You and Rodrigo have the best one liners.

...Ralph

Eddie
10-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I would not, too many bad stories on here about it. ;)