PDA

View Full Version : Need expert help with strange puzzle...

nc0gnet0
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok this will be a bit winded so bear with me.......

I have 3 pairs of fish in involved in my current scenario/puzzle. Pair 1 is a Ogon Yellow/White + ARSG. Pair 2 is an Alenquer cross (solid type) and a Red turq. Pair three is a new pair that I just received from Kenny (actually all the fish came from Kenny with the exception of the turq) consisting of a PE and a LSS (contest winner).

Ok Pair one has had a succesful spawn and the fry are 3 1/2 weeks old. Perfect parents.

Pair two have been spawning together for 8+ weeks and recently I have been getting over a 95% hatch rate. However, somewhere between wigglers and 1st day of free swimming, the fry get very weak and die. They do attach, but don't seem to remain attached. This has happened the last 4 spawns, and its not the parents eating them or lack of effort, I can just see the fry are weak. My protocol is after the pair lay the eggs and they settle in, I remove 50% of the water and add meth blue. I then add in fresh water and top of the tank giving me a 1/2 recomended dose of MB in the tank. I do 30-40% water changes everyday and only very light feedings until wigglers, then no feeding. My tank temperature has been set at 28.2C until the last spawn.

Pair three reside happily in a community tank (125 g) with 7 other adult discus. I have only had them about three weeks and they have laid three times (actually they are about to lay again). There eggs never make it if left in the community tank.

Ok now is where it gets interesting and what most of you are thinking up to this point is thrown out the window.

I removed the OYW+ARSG pair from thier fry last friday and into a 29 gallon breeder. That same day, the Alenquer+turq pair layed eggs, in which I treated with meth blue same as always. I had talked with Al regarding my issues with the the turq pair and he suggested two things. One, raise the temperature of the tank after the spawn, and two, possibly see if the OYW+ASRG pair would foster them. So, on the day after the eggs where layed, I removed them from the turq pair and placed them in with the OYW pair and screened the eggs. Also, this tank had no MB.

Now, to make things really interesting, it just so happened that on the day that I removed the eggs from the turq pair, the PE+LSS pair layed eggs in the community tank. As I fed the community tank and watched a red melon sneak over and start eating the eggs while the PE+LSS pair were distracted,, I thought what the hell, and removed these eggs from the community tank and placed them in with the Alenquer pair and screened them. My only real intent was to see if any wigglers would form, thus confirming the pair.

Luckily, both pairs bonded well with there foster eggs. I again got a great hatch with the AQ/turq eggs (in the OYW tank). Wigglers were fine. On day 2 1/2 they went free swimming and began to attach to both parents (even the albino :D). However, by the end of the day, same scenario, one by one they started dropping like flies.

Now back to the Turq pair with the PE eggs. I got a smaller hatch with those eggs, not suprised considering the current in the community tank. But I would say about 50 wigglers. They went free swimming at the 48 hour mark and have attached as to be expected. While still on day one, I can see a noticeable difference with these fry and there energy level. If these fry go on to stay healthy, what is the problem with the Alanquer/Turq fry. Is it possible they are just genetically not a good match? Opinions? What should I try next to get a succesfull cross with this pair?

brewmaster15
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Rick,
Given the results of the fostering, I would say it looks like a case of poor genetics on the pair as far as compatibility... the fault could be in either fish of the pair or neither one...another words if you split the pair up, either one could be fine with a new mate..

If you want to try and nail it down....take pair one... your best pair...split them and pair them with the opposite of pair 2..... You know pair one is fine...so if either of the two of them fail to produce when you re-pair them...it will help determine which of the 2 discus in pair 2 was the problem genetically.... You may find though that neither are, because the issue may get hidden by the new genetics...

so basically if you have a problem with the fry after re-pairing you get an answer...if you don't have a problem....you still are left with a question....but at least you know you can outcross and get good fry.

hth,
al

nc0gnet0
10-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks Al,

That is what I was thinking, that or one of the two was immature, but even that did not make sense. At least I know that I have two pairs willing to foster. Funny how things work out, had I not switched the eggs like I did I could have been chasing my tail for quite sometime. Is this incompatability rare? Or is it that it goes undetected more often then not?

brewmaster15
10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks Al,

That is what I was thinking, that or one of the two was immature, but even that did not make sense. At least I know that I have two pairs willing to foster. Funny how things work out, had I not switched the eggs like I did I could have been chasing my tail for quite sometime. Is this incompatability rare? Or is it that it goes undetected more often then not?

HI Rick,
I don't think anyone really knows that.. in this case it may be they both carry a recessive gene for something that makes the fry weak...or maybe the either one of them has a genetic problem...Its all guess work thats this is even whats behind your results here.. I've had pairs that just didn't work out...break the pair and re-pair everyone works like clockwork...go figure.

What I do know is that discus are like any other living thing,,,and when they come together to breed things don't always work out....happens with fish, livestock, plants, and of course people. Our Genetics all follow the same rules.:)

Glad the fostering idea worked for you though...got to love those instincts!
-al