PDA

View Full Version : Osaka 260 Discus Tank

billko
10-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Folks
Some pics of my Osaka planted Discus tank.
Billy

KEWX
10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMueller777
10-23-2010, 08:17 PM
sweet tank man.. what are its dimensions? Plants? Fish inside?

Jennie
10-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I like the way the wood was set in first 2 pics better. Nice tank!

AngryBird
10-23-2010, 10:34 PM
260 gallon???? Nice tank.

Eddie
10-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Real nice tank, would be super nice with all one strain but thats just how I roll. :D

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Eddie

Sharkbait
10-24-2010, 01:41 AM

Litres :) So 75 gallon.

I wish Osakas came that big.

Kingdom Come Discus
10-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Hi Folks
Some pics of my Osaka planted Discus tank.
Billy

What's the dimensions on that bad boy? Very nice.

billko
10-24-2010, 04:36 AM
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweet tank man.. what are its dimensions? Plants? Fish inside?
Thanks for the compliment. :)
It's only 70 odd gallon and the 260 is litres, the tank houses 6 Discus, lemon, cardinals, rummynose tetras, various corys, bristlenose and otocinclus.
Plants are just easy stuff like vallis, crypts, anubias, java fern, various swords etc and a floating plant (frogbit)

The tank has changed quite a bit since first set up and i have moved things around a few times.
I just never settle on one look for the tank and changing things makes it interesting for the fish.
I had 2 pairs out of my 6 Discus and things were getting heated in there and after moving things around the last time, things seem to have calmed down alot and the Discus seem alot more tolerant of each other.
Although i liked the tank in the first pics, i think i will leave things the way they are for now as i have peace in the tank and don't want to go messing it up.

260 gallon i wish, (apologies 260 litres 70 odd gallon :confused:)

Real nice tank, would be super nice with all one strain but thats just how I roll. :D

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Eddie
Hi Eddie
I've not been keeping Discus that long and was attracted to all the fancy types and colours etc, i wanted them all :D
I agree with you now though and if stocking again i would go for a single strain.
My next single strain will be wilds though.

Litres :) So 75 gallon.

I wish Osakas came that big.
So do i Sharkbait :D

What's the dimensions on that bad boy? Very nice.
It,s only 75 gallon and not the 260 gallon i wished it was: :(

Billy

billko
10-24-2010, 05:11 AM
A few more pics of the Osaka in an earlier scape.
Billy

Eddie
10-24-2010, 05:47 AM
No worries, I understand, its the evolution of every hobbyist. They like all sorts of colors and types and then evolve into the strains they like most. I also like wilds and domestic wild offspring. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Sharkbait
10-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi Eddie
I've not been keeping Discus that long and was attracted to all the fancy types and colours etc, i wanted them all :D
I agree with you now though and if stocking again i would go for a single strain.
My next single strain will be wilds though.

Hi Billy,

It seems that you and I have the same goals...and the same type of tanks. I've got the Osaka 320 though - but it really isn't that different.

Looking forward to seeing your tank grow and develop :)

-Aaron

3dees
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
nice Billy. I had the same problem when I started my tank. could'nt decide which strain to get because they are all beautiful. I know I did'nt want a mixed tank. so glad I decided on wilds.

Harriett
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Me too, it leads your eye always back into the tank, like a good painting should. The last pic of the different scaping lacks that quality; no offense intended there. I really like the other layout and your whole tank looks very vibrant and happy--nice job, Billy, and thank you for sharing the photos!
Best regards,
Harriett

inmisawa
10-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Great tank! I love it when people post pics, more ideas for me to steal :D

billko
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
No worries, I understand, its the evolution of every hobbyist. They like all sorts of colors and types and then evolve into the strains they like most. I also like wilds and domestic wild offspring. ;)

Take care,

Eddie
It would be nice though Eddie to have loads of tanks to keep all those different Discus.
I remember when i was going to add two more Discus to my set up.
That was the hardest thing as the choice was really good at the stockist i used for my fish.
I couldn't make my mind up and wished i could get the lot.
Buying two was difficult so i ended up buying three which wasn't much easier.
I think about the ones that got away :)
Billy

Hi Billy,

It seems that you and I have the same goals...and the same type of tanks. I've got the Osaka 320 though - but it really isn't that different.

Looking forward to seeing your tank grow and develop :)

-Aaron
Hi Aaron
The 320 is a nice tank and the tank i wanted but the wife didn't :( :argue: :)
Billy

nice Billy. I had the same problem when I started my tank. could'nt decide which strain to get because they are all beautiful. I know I did'nt want a mixed tank. so glad I decided on wilds.
You don't have a problem now 3dees, because your Tefes and tank at the moment are stunning. :)
Billy

Me too, it leads your eye always back into the tank, like a good painting should. The last pic of the different scaping lacks that quality; no offense intended there. I really like the other layout and your whole tank looks very vibrant and happy--nice job, Billy, and thank you for sharing the photos!
Best regards,
Harriett
Hi Harriet
I appreciate your comments and constructive criticism is good.:)
The tank does change alot and the plants became addictive just like the Discus.
The tank ended up more planted than i initially intended but i did like that scape alot though.
I tried to bring more hardscape to the tank using wood and losing the plants as the tank was too heavily planted for me and i was trying to give the fish more space.
Billy

Great tank! I love it when people post pics, more ideas for me to steal :D
Don't you dare steal my ideas,:D
Seriously i like seeing pics of other set ups also so i can, er ,so i can steal some ideas.;)
Billy

Herbicidal
10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Beautiful fish and aquarium! :thumbsup:

inmisawa
10-28-2010, 11:10 PM
You know what they say, "Imitation is the best form of flattery." :)

billko
10-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Beautiful fish and aquarium! :thumbsup:
Thanks for your nice comments :)
Billy

You know what they say, "Imitation is the best form of flattery." :)
It is isn't it :D
Billy

SpankyMR2
10-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Beautiful. I like all the different colors of discus. That is what I am doing with my planted tank. I mostly have strains of blues and greens with one yellow strain and one orange/red strain. One strain would be more soothing, but I like to mix things up. Your tank is wonderful. Its for your enjoyment.
Patti

billko
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Beautiful. I like all the different colors of discus. That is what I am doing with my planted tank. I mostly have strains of blues and greens with one yellow strain and one orange/red strain. One strain would be more soothing, but I like to mix things up. Your tank is wonderful. Its for your enjoyment.
Patti
Thanks Patti :)
I do like alot of different varieties and colours and would love to stock alot more different types, but a huge tank would be needed.
After seeing a tank with 6 adult single strain Discus together recently it looked stunning and kind of changed my views a bit.
When starting out though i think it's difficult to go for a single strain when so much other types are available.
Billy

billko
10-31-2010, 12:23 PM
This is the latest pics of the set up as it is just now.
Billy

Harriett
11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Billy,
I have found that my taste in scapes and in individual plant preferences has changed as much as my choices in strains of discus....I used to go for a taller wilder looking auquascapes. That required a lot of upkeep and pruning, etc...I looked for bigger bulkier wood, as well. The newest incarnation of my planted discus tank has lighter looking branchy wood, and just crypts and lower growing swords in a sort of meandering aquascape that only grows to about 25% of the height of the tank--the wood pops above the plants here and there...the discus have gone from a cacaphony of colors to more classic single strain tanks and now, looking at wilds...and biotopes--don't know if i am capable of NOT planting an adult discus tank and just doing wood and sand, but will find out shortly!
Best regards,
Harriett

randyblktl
11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
very nice tank! i'm just started getting into discus, hopefully i can make my tank as nice as this.

billko
11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Billy,
I have found that my taste in scapes and in individual plant preferences has changed as much as my choices in strains of discus....I used to go for a taller wilder looking auquascapes. That required a lot of upkeep and pruning, etc...I looked for bigger bulkier wood, as well. The newest incarnation of my planted discus tank has lighter looking branchy wood, and just crypts and lower growing swords in a sort of meandering aquascape that only grows to about 25% of the height of the tank--the wood pops above the plants here and there...the discus have gone from a cacaphony of colors to more classic single strain tanks and now, looking at wilds...and biotopes--don't know if i am capable of NOT planting an adult discus tank and just doing wood and sand, but will find out shortly!
Best regards,
Harriett
Hi Harriet
My tank has changed alot and had many different scapes.
I got carried away a bit with the plants and had to remind myself i was keeping Discus also.
I have tried to keep a balance with plants and space for the fish.
Alot of larger plants like Amazon swords have been removed and i also like to use the branchy type wood in the tank.
My aim is also to keep wilds but probably will keep them in a bigger set up than i have at the moment.
This will not be anytime soon but at least it might give me time to lose the plant addiction. :)
Not easy going minimal you know in the plant department.
I have seen some great wild biotopes on this site and know this is the look i want in the future.
Regards
Billy

very nice tank! i'm just started getting into discus, hopefully i can make my tank as nice as this.
Thanks for the compliment on the tank Randy.
I'm sure your set up will be nice also.
Loads of great set ups to be seen here on this site and lots of ideas to steal ;)
Good luck with your Discus and nothing beats keeping Discus you know. :)
Regards
Billy

Harriett
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Billy, me too, all of that. I believe I am going to dedicate one tank as my big deal planted tank, and I am going to go for biotopes otherwise--just made that decision. Future tense of course. Right now just keeping my skeleton crews until we sell the house; several tanks have been broken down and will stay broken down until then! There's just no sense in doing a future planted tank for me at this point unless it's pretty big, I am spoiled by the room in the 180 which is still my planted discus tank.
My paring down plan may of course go to hell if Cary can line me up some yellow pups in De-troit city. But that's the only contingency I would entertain.....I am hoplessly a goner.
Best regards to you,
Harriett

billko
11-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Billy, me too, all of that. I believe I am going to dedicate one tank as my big deal planted tank, and I am going to go for biotopes otherwise--just made that decision. Future tense of course. Right now just keeping my skeleton crews until we sell the house; several tanks have been broken down and will stay broken down until then! There's just no sense in doing a future planted tank for me at this point unless it's pretty big, I am spoiled by the room in the 180 which is still my planted discus tank.
My paring down plan may of course go to hell if Cary can line me up some yellow pups in De-troit city. But that's the only contingency I would entertain.....I am hoplessly a goner.
Best regards to you,
Harriett
We can all plan ahead Harriet and that is what i'm doing. I have my ideas what i want in the future and will just have to see if it happens.
I will need to take the hobby outdoors if i want to expand and a fish house is what i hope to get going at some point.
I don't intend to breed Discus at this time, but would like a few show type tanks, for Wilds, Asian and German Discus and keep them in there own set ups.
I'm waiting a bit to see if we will move house again before i start the project.
One minute we are not moving, the next we might be. :confused:
Wish the wife would make up her mind as i've a fish house to build. :D
Regards
Billy

Harriett
11-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I wish you the very best with your dream fish house, it sounds fabulous! I want to keep a few big tanks and that's it, done. I have had as many as 8 tanks in the house going at once and was overwhelmed with the work of it, since I work longer hours at my job also....so I sold off a bunch of fish and I am good with 4 tanks. 2 big and 2 smaller.
Best regards,
Harriett

billko
11-08-2010, 05:41 PM
I wish you the very best with your dream fish house, it sounds fabulous! I want to keep a few big tanks and that's it, done. I have had as many as 8 tanks in the house going at once and was overwhelmed with the work of it, since I work longer hours at my job also....so I sold off a bunch of fish and I am good with 4 tanks. 2 big and 2 smaller.
Best regards,
Harriett
Hi Harriet
8 tanks sounds like a dream come true for me. :)
Time to wake up as it's not going too happen anytime soon. :D
I would imagine it was alot of work for you.
4 tanks still sounds good and 2 more than i have.
My son has no interest in fish, but i got him a tank anyways (an excuse for me to set up another one :D) and until i get the fish house running that's all i will have for the time being.
The fish house will not be too big, but will hopefully will hold 4 or 5 decent sized set ups to help with my Discus addiction. ;)
Regards
Billy

auraball
01-27-2011, 06:40 AM
beautiful tank :)

eranaubs
01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Great inspiration and I can't wait to get my plants into my discus tank as well. How has your water change regimen been with all the plants. I am also with harriet and want to keep mostly low growing plants to allow the hardscape to dominate the tank look