PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me

cyberx
10-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi to you all..i'm a new member here..and i would like to ask you guys for few Question here. the --1 Q--is i just set up my new tank(75 gal) with the merineland C-360(http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=1998&mid=3226)
i just set it up only 12 days from now. but since 3 days ago..the tank water became cloudy with greed colour.i also did W/C(75% W/C) already 3 time in 3 day but still doesnt help much.

--2 Q-- is,would you think that,this filter system i had is good for discus tank or not?

--3 Q-- is,i have the T8 twin light...and i turn it on all day long..so would you think that maybe i shoulnd turn it on all day long?

--4 Q-- is,After that 2 of my fish woundlt eat anything and like to hide when i came closer to them.

Well...i hope you guys could able to understand my broken English ...and i do really need for the big help.....thankyou so much...........John Phang
USA Maryland

75 Gal Tank
merineland C-360 filter system
T8 twin light
Tem is 85'
total of Ten 3'' discus

jimg
10-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Your tank has to go through a cycle first.you can get some tetra safe start or dr Timms one and only and hope it works!
you should not have any fish in the tank before that unless you plan on doing 100% water changes 2 times a day. it is cruel to put any fish through a cycle.
The filter is fine, but you have to realize it works on a biological level.

The best advice is to go online and search about cycling an aquarium.

largewilliam
10-29-2010, 06:35 PM
It has always been my understanding that you need a fish to help cycle the tank. The waste from the fish starts the cycle. Water changes are key but you still need a fish. Am I miss informed? Let me know.

Jennie
10-29-2010, 06:40 PM
you can start a cycle buy buying shrimp from the market and throwing it into the tank or using ammonia.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycling.php

jimg
10-29-2010, 06:51 PM
It has always been my understanding that you need a fish to help cycle the tank. The waste from the fish starts the cycle. Water changes are key but you still need a fish. Am I miss informed? Let me know.

The 2 products I mentioned will start your cycle, but you need to feed the bacteria. The way I do a new tank is use one of the products I mentioned and add just enough ace hardware industrial strength ammonia to get a reading of about .25 it only takes a slight ammonia reading to feed bacteria.Or you can just use ammonia and wait 7 weeks. Or you can use the products along with a couple fish and hope for the best for them! Did you look through older posts here about cycling?

Eddie
10-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I've actually cycled plenty of filters using Stability or Tetra Safe Start. During the time fish are in the tank and the use the these products, NO water changes should be accomplished. You will show ammonia/nitrites but the product is handling it. The fish were always safe and sound, just don't change any water until the cycle is complete. I had a bad bottle of Stability recently that wouldn't start the cycle so its important to monitor the readings to verify the cycle has begun.

Eddie

cyberx
10-30-2010, 03:00 AM
I've actually cycled plenty of filters using Stability or Tetra Safe Start. During the time fish are in the tank and the use the these products, NO water changes should be accomplished. You will show ammonia/nitrites but the product is handling it. The fish were always safe and sound, just don't change any water until the cycle is complete. I had a bad bottle of Stability recently that wouldn't start the cycle so its important to monitor the readings to verify the cycle has begun.

Eddie

oh i see...hey eddie..i just saw one of your fish tank picture...your tank water is crytal clear...how could you do that???mine will be cloudy in the next day....so i always keep W/C about 40% of the water....would that be too much % of W/C?
BTW Eddie...as i mentioned before..i had the 75 GAL tank..and i'm using the merianeland C-360 consiter filter system...and i'm thinking to add the aqua clean 70 Gal hanging type filter system..would that be too much only in one 75 GAL tank???and how could i make my water look like yours???

AND thx for you guys idea........:o:confused: