PDA

View Full Version : White puffy feces., discus still eating

Mark.arguelles
10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi all,

I have an albino pearl diamond I was watching today and noticed he had a puffy white feces coming out of him. He is still eating and he is not hiding, he is still active and playing with the other discus, which is why i was surprised to see the white feces.

I haven't treated him with anything yet, I do have a 10 gallon if needed but no extra filter that is already cycled. I wanted to see what everyone thought first and am hoping since he still looks ok he wouldn't need any intervention. Im attaching some pics to help show the feces and the fish.

I did have another apd that had white feces that I couldn't save. I tried to qt him and treat with metro but he couldn't survive the treatment. Any help would be really appreciated!

http://tapa.tk/mu/61e9e364-d7dc-3ee2.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/61e9e364-d7f2-aa83.jpg
http://tapa.tk/mu/61e9e364-d7ff-2e35.jpghttp://tapa.tk/mu/61e9e364-d808-e97d.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Pardal
10-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Disease Questionnaire - please complete
Fill the disease questionary.
also what did you feed your fish lately.
frequency of WC. in other words provide more info.
a lot of knowledge in the forum that sure can help you.

Mark.arguelles
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for your response, I will fill out the questionnaire.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

First noticed last night that my Albino Pearl Diamond had a puffy white string of feces as noted in the pictures above. The fish had been eating and acting regularly as far as I had noticed, although today I see that he is not attacking the food like he usually does. I am afraid he may have an intestinal infection of some kind.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

White fluffy feces. No clamped fins. Color looks normal. No visible bloating. Not hiding from other fish. Still seemingly active.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

No meds tried yet. Would like everyone's opinion first.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

90gallon, 4 months old. The Albino Pearl Diamond is about 3.5-4". There are 8 discus total, running from 3.5-4.5". There is also a school of 10 rummynose tetras.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

WC 75% every other day. Sand bottom with some driftwood, 3 crypts. Air bubbler running 24/7. Two filters, Rena XP3 and Cascade 1500.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84-85

- ph 7.4

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading most I've ever seen is 5ppm.

- well water no

- municipal water yes, ph is stable overnight, I do water changes straight into the tank. The water comes out with 0 ammonia reading. Use SAFE straight into tank when WC.

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

None.

I feed a mixture of foods, NLS pellets, Kensfish pellets, beefheart flake, beefheart homemade mix, blood worms, ocean nutrition discus flake.

As said, I have a spare 10gal just for an occasion that one of my discus got sick. I can QT him if need be, and can order meds online from a sponsor here. The filter is not seeded in the hospital tank so how often would i have to change water to keep it safe for him.

Thanks everyone for your help in advance. Me and my discus appreciate it!

Mark.arguelles
10-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Bump for help

Eddie
10-27-2010, 12:17 AM
If the fish is still eating, I'd recommend feeding a medicated flake. Angel Plus sells 3 types of medicated flake and I'd get all three. I can't see the photos from my job. If the poo is really thick and fluffy, than its probably bacteria related.

rickztahone
10-27-2010, 12:29 AM
If the fish is still eating, I'd recommend feeding a medicated flake. Angel Plus sells 3 types of medicated flake and I'd get all three. I can't see the photos from my job. If the poo is really thick and fluffy, than its probably bacteria related.

+1 on flakes since it's still eating, plus the others will get wormed at the same time. when i had poop like that i had to tread with Levamisole, but i'm not advising you to do that since i can't confirm that it is the same scenario. white poop can be quite a few things actually.

Eddie
10-27-2010, 05:21 AM
I'm able to see the pictures now since I am home. At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned. Might try to feed a diet of frozen or live brine shrimp to help the fishes digestive track.

Eddie

Mark.arguelles
10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. The discus seems to be only eating bloodworms now, it spits out flake food, which it wasn't doing before. I ordered metro powder and prazipro yesterday before I saw these replies, would it be ok to soak the worms in metro or prazi and feed this way? Would it be better to quarantine or treat the whole tank? Which med would you suggest I try first? thanks again for your help, I really don't want to lose this fish if I can help it since we caught it early enough.