PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Discus and Size (just your opinion)

Tito
10-26-2010, 10:21 AM
So just looking for everyone's general opinion. Don't want this thread to go any further than opinons. I'm sure the topic of size has dozens of threads with in depth discussions.

So what is your general opinion of the average size of an adult Domestic strain Discus?

IMO - 5.5"

William Palumbo
10-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Touchy subject as stated, but I'll start. I have not seen as many "giant" ones as I would see many years ago. I am sure it's from in-breeding. I feel genetics, not power-feeding, is what separates a "giant" Discus from an average one...Bill

DiscusLoverJeff
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
The largest discus I ever seen was about 8" from a pet store in Chicago 20 plus years ago, possible a brown. It was not pretty in color, but it shape was simply amazing, almost full roundness to it and very thick in size.

Tito
10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
LOL

Ok guys - we've veered off course here.

I was hoping to just get a response like.....

average size in my opinion is _______.

Again...I'm more interested in just a GENERAL opinion of what you think the AVERAGE size of a domestic Discus is.

Not interested in the largest Discus - I'll leave that for another discussion. I never liked watching Magnum PI.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I see we have, sorry about that. The average domestic discus size that I see is between 5.5 and 6" (possibly 7" max) for full adults. I think tank size has something to do with growth for discus though. So the higher the tank and longer (maybe 90 gallon or more with a depth of 20" or more) would determine the size factor providing they are not over crowded.

Tito
10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I see we have, sorry about that. The average domestic discus size that I see is between 5.5 and 6" (possibly 7" max) for full adults. I think tank size has something to do with growth for discus though. So the higher the tank and longer (maybe 90 gallon or more with a depth of 20" or more) would determine the size factor providing they are not over crowded.

Cool.

I have averaged out the group of Discus that I have grown out in my 125. And I have found their average to be 5.5".

I'd be interesting to see how this thread grows based on the input from members here and what their average size turns out to be.

Dutch dude
10-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Ooh well,...I'm regulary starting some delicate debate so let met tell you flat out my opinion. :)

In my opinion a normal size would be 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 inch TL. Most smaller discus have had set backs in growth and show deformaties that get along with that and the oposit for larger discus that often show odd proportions. Of course there are exceptions and some 5 inch discus and 7 inch discus that look great but imo the best looking discus are in the mentioned range.

Of course we all like good sized discus but imo there is way to much focus on large size in stead of good shape, proportions, colors and paterns. Eye size is an other thing. Thats the drawback of those odd rules that are set for discus championships, forcing breeders to fit those rules.

So IMO 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 TL is a good size that can be considered as normal.

Tito
10-26-2010, 11:26 AM

= 5.75"

John_Nicholson
10-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Before you go on you need to specify standard length or total length.

-john

Dutch dude
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Your right John. I measure in TL.

Tito
10-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Good point!

Let's go with mouth to tail. That's how I measure my fish.

What's that called TL?

Larry Bugg
10-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Saying average domestic leaves a wide open playing field to me. I would be more interested in phrasing it as maybe hobby raised domestic. My opinion is most of us will not usually reach the size of say a Stendker adult discus.

IMO the average hobbist will attain a average size of 5.5.

Eddie
10-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Saying average domestic leaves a wide open playing field to me. I would be more interested in phrasing it as maybe hobby raised domestic. My opinion is most of us will not usually reach the size of say a Stendker adult discus.

IMO the average hobbist will attain a average size of 5.5.

I agree and size doesn't matter Tito! LOL

John_Nicholson
10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
TL is from the mouth to the tail ENDS
SL is from the mouth to the tail BEGINS.

-john

Offpath
10-27-2010, 01:46 AM
I had a related question. I've seen a number of posts by members of this form stating roughly that they feel any fish that they've raised that doesn't reach ~6" is a failure. I'm assuming they mean TL?

If so, I have 2 that *just barely* succeeded last I measured, and 6 that are still growing. =) So I guess I'll contribute my guess/opinion as 5.5" on average.

Eddie
10-27-2010, 02:03 AM
I wouldn't say that a fish under 6 inches TL is a failure, thats my opinion anways. The main objective is proportionality and shape. Not everyone is looking to grow monsters. Sure, they can be more impressive but its not a failure to have fish under 6 inches.

Eddie

Tito
10-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Seems like that 5.5 TL number is starting to pop.

Eddie
10-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Seems like that 5.5 TL number is starting to pop.

I have plenty of fish that are 5-5.5" TL and I'm very satisfied with how they developed. ;)

hedut
10-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Last time I grow mine average 6" TL for one year discus and some still growing even reach 7":D:D. I saw some fish here 8,5" - 9" from 3G discus in Singapore and I'm looking forward to grow 9" :p:p.

All as Eddie said: water is the key :D:D:D;)

Jennie
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Who care's how big they get, as long as it's a beautiful specimen. I agree with Eddie

Tito
10-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Last time I grow mine average 6" TL for one year discus and some still growing even reach 7":D:D. I saw some fish here 8,5" - 9" from 3G discus in Singapore and I'm looking forward to grow 9" :p:p.

All as Eddie said: water is the key :D:D:D;)

Yea - but Singapore water may have something American water doesn't.

Water is key and location of water as well.

Cause to me - it just seems like these large specimens are grown out somewhere other then the USA.

Eddie
10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Yea - but Singapore water may have something American water doesn't.

Water is key and location of water as well.

Cause to me - it just seems like these large specimens are grown out somewhere other then the USA.

Its actually the amount of water they change. Entire volume of the tank multiple times a day. ;)

Tito
10-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Its actually the amount of water they change. Entire volume of the tank multiple times a day. ;)

Sorry man - gonna need Scientific Empirical data for that....

that's llike saying there is a God dude - that's faith not science.

Growing fish to a large size should not be based on faith, it should be scientific.

John_Nicholson
10-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Going TL a male should be at least 6 inches and really 6.5
Females should be at least 5 and really 5.5

-john

Eddie
10-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Sorry man - gonna need Scientific Empirical data for that....

that's llike saying there is a God dude - that's faith not science.

Growing fish to a large size should not be based on faith, it should be scientific.

Water chemistry isn't scientific, of course it is! LOL

Eddie
10-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Going TL a male should be at least 6 inches and really 6.5
Females should be at least 5 and really 5.5

-john

Yeah John but thats not fair, everything is bigger in Texas. ;)

Jennie
10-27-2010, 08:54 AM
so they say:)

Tito
10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
so they say:)

I didn't know that everything was bigger in Texas....

I just thought that the stars were bigger..

The stars at night,
Are big and bright,
Deep in the heart of Texas,

Edit: Ok I just re-averaged using all figures given so far.

= 5.725

Keep in mind some have posted a range. It would have been better to just give one size that you think is average in your tanks.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I wonder what they put in that water over there in Singapore?? Not to mention what they pay for water over there to do so many water changes.

John_Nicholson
10-27-2010, 10:19 AM
"Keep in mind some have posted a range. It would have been better to just give one size that you think is average in your tanks. "

I have 30 or 40 adults currently and I am to lazy to measure them all......I don't know how many I have had since I started this hobby but it has been a hell of a lot so a range is the best that you are getting from me....LOL.

-john

John_Nicholson
10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah John but thats not fair, everything is bigger in Texas. ;)

It pains me to say this but my wife might disagree..........

LOL.

-john

Eddie
10-27-2010, 10:30 AM
It pains me to say this but my wife might disagree..........

LOL.

-john

LMAO, so funny. :D

Tito
10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
John you're a riot man!

well you gave me a male range of 6 to 6.5 so that's 6.25 for you. LOL

TonyAPBTx
10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
John you're a riot man!

well you gave me a male range of 6 to 6.5 so that's 6.25 for you. LOL

We are still talking about discus right? :D

fishorama
10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
LMAO... As for my 8 discus I'd say 5.5 avg with a range of 5-6

Tito
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
We are still talking about discus right? :D

You sick Lad! LOL

There goes that 5.5" again!

Man we just can't get rid of it!

Fishplants
10-28-2010, 11:20 PM
This is a very interesting discussion, especially to an outsider looking in. Firstly, here in NZ, we strive to measure our Discus from nose to base of tail ie Standard Length.

Here in NZ we are not particularly good (relatively and generally speaking) at growing discus large. The most our fish get to is approximately 12cm SL (4.72"). This is due mainly to the relative lack of knowledge and skill, and a testament of the small market we operate in.

We pay a lot for our fish and they are often not that good quality, due once again to the small market. Commercial breeding in NZ is very limited and those that try often don't last long.

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that size is not everything, there is too much of "if it ain't over 12cm SL then it is not a good fish". As long as they are coloured well and have good shape, then who cares what size they are (within reason).

I have to say that I am very envious of the fish I see on this forum, not because of their size but because of their shape.

cheers