PDA

View Full Version : Discus still hiding after two months!!! :(

imzkola
10-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Hi,

I have had my discus fish in the tank for almost 2months now and they are still hiding! only at feeding time they come out to eat but even then i have to stand really still and make no noise at all.

when the pump is on and there is no food they will hide all day long. they still all have stress bars but are showing more colour.

is this normal? or can i do something to make them feel more safe and comfortable?

i have a 25 gallon tank with 4 discus...

Eddie
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
4 discus is not a good number. They thrive in groups because it makes them feel secure. If you have things in the tank for them to hide behind, they are gonna hide. Also make sure your water isn't the culprit.

Skip
10-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi,

I have had my discus fish in the tank for almost 2months now and they are still hiding! only at feeding time they come out to eat but even then i have to stand really still and make no noise at all.

when the pump is on and there is no food they will hide all day long. they still all have stress bars but are showing more colour.

is this normal? or can i do something to make them feel more safe and comfortable?

i have a 25 gallon tank with 4 discus...

you didn't say what size your fish are..

the tank is too small (depending on their size)

get larger tank.. and get 2 more.. they like more numbers.. it gets them more brave..

Eddie
10-27-2010, 07:27 AM
the tank is too small (depending on their size)

get larger tank.. and get 2 more.. they like more numbers.. it gets them more brave..

I agree, larger tank like a 55 and add 2 more fish, after quarantine that is. ;)

Skip
10-27-2010, 08:26 AM
:crazy:
i am suprised my post almost made sense.. since i was just barely waking up.. and typing in the dark.. :D

DiscusLoverJeff
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
You did not mention what type of lighting you have? maybe your light is too strong and they are keeping in a place that is darker?

As mentioned by the experts, a bigger tank is needed along with more fish. many people who love discus want them sometimes so bad that they will put them in tanks too small for them just so they can have discus. But the harsh reality is, unless you are breeding discus, nothing under a 55 gallon tank will suit their needs.

You also did not mention what your water parameters are.

PAR23
10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
One other consideration, if it is not done is to paint the back of the tank and and bottom (or place a piece of styrofoam on bottom) to make them feel more secure. All this assuming your water parameters are in check.

kaceyo
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Lots of great suggestions here but knowing the size of your discus is nescessary, along with water params and basic tank setup (can they see through the bottom, is tank by a window or door, decorations etc)