PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a bulkhead ?

korbi_doc
10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Ok, I've never done this one before & I don't want any leaks...not going to use it right away, so have to cap it off....it came with only one rubber gasket..which side does the gasket go on, inside tank or outside?? Also, should I use any silicone around the opening, or plumbers tape?....is there a special piece for the inside PVC? .... & what do y'all do? TIA...

Dottie

ZX10R
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Ok, I've never done this one before & I don't want any leaks...not going to use it right away, so have to cap it off....it came with only one rubber gasket..which side does the gasket go on, inside tank or outside?? Also, should I use any silicone around the opening, or plumbers tape?....is there a special piece for the inside PVC? .... & what do y'all do? TIA...

Dottie

Rubber gasket goes inside and the nut should be outside. No need in using silicone or plumber tape unless the gasket it bad or something. Tighten the nut good and snug don't over tighten or you can smash the gasket out.

korbi_doc
10-28-2010, 09:52 AM
:D Thanks Z!!

Dottie

Moon
10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Rubber gasket goes inside and the nut should be outside. No need in using silicone or plumber tape unless the gasket it bad or something. Tighten the nut good and snug don't over tighten or you can smash the gasket out.

I've always put the gasket on the outside. The reason being the nut for tightening is on the outside. The tightening process will squeeze the gasket in place. Just hand tighten the nut and there is no need for anything else. I have done this on 20 tanks and none have leaked.
HTH

ZX10R
10-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I've always put the gasket on the outside. The reason being the nut for tightening is on the outside. The tightening process will squeeze the gasket in place. Just hand tighten the nut and there is no need for anything else. I have done this on 20 tanks and none have leaked.
HTH

So you put the gasket and nut together on the outside? If so you are very lucky you haven't had any leaks.

Yboat
10-28-2010, 10:57 AM
thats a understatment.

Crockett
10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
HTH

I agree with ZX10R, the rubber gasket should go in the inside of the tank as that’s where the seal is taking place when you tighten. The rubber gasket acts as a seal /cushion between the bulkhead and the glass, and as you tighten it will form a seal to prevent water from escaping from inside of the tank. If you put the rubber gasket on the outside, then I have to also say you are very lucky that there have not been any leaks. I also put a bead of tank silicone on the outside before I put on the nut; this just gives that extra seal. Probably not needed, but I have always done this, because I need that extra comfort that that there will be no leaks, as I have a 175 gallon. Also one must be careful not to over tighten the nut as the bulkheads tend to be very susceptible to cracks

Crockett

Kingdom Come Discus
10-30-2010, 02:02 AM
I agree, with ones who say the gasket shoud go on the inside. I have over 60blulk heads and none leak with the gasket on the inside. However, I bought a bunch of tanks from a LFS going out of business sale and the gaskets were all on the outside. Some of those leaked so I changed them and now they don't. This link may make you more comfortable. http://www.jehmco.com/html/bulkhead_fittings.html

Hope this helps,

Moon
10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
The reason I put them on the outside is that my water is very hard and the gasket rubber becomes brittle over time and cracks. When they go on the outside this problem is overcome.
All 20 of my tanks have been in service for 2 years with no leaks whatsoever.

Kingdom Come Discus
10-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I see, that makes sense and as long as you don't have leaks why change.

Thanks for following up, I will remember that,

korbi_doc
11-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Wow, thanks everyone, didn't know it would be a controversial subject, so glad I asked.....the young man who is helping me also stated today he places'm on the inside, so that's the way I'll go....but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here huh?....lookin' forward to these tanks being up & runnin'...soon I hope....;)

Dottie