PDA

View Full Version : Bought a house, lost a discus and my stunted runts are the first to spawn

mlw
10-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Well,
it has been a while since I have posted. We closed on our new home in September. Since then I had four discus pair off. Hoover paired off with Eve and Dorey paired off with Patches. Monday morning I found Eve laying on the floor in the front of the tank, looks like she jumped. She and Hoover never really hit it off well and fought a lot. I also found a clutch of eggs on a piece of driftwood being carefully guarded by Patches and Dorey. Dorey and Patches have spawned three times. Tonight marks the third time they have laid eggs. The first two times the eggs were eaten by the time I got home from work.

With the loss of Eve. Patches and Dorey have moved into the spot Hoover and Eve claimed and have laid eggs on the back glass So fingers are crossed they will at least get to free swimming.. Still trying to talk hubby into letting me breed a few in a spare room in the basement.

That is about it. Still unpacking and have yet to find my camera, jewelry or my crock pot. Will update more when I have the chance. Hopefully with pictures.

Keith Perkins
10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
WELCOME BACK!!! Sorry to hear about your jumper, that's one tragedy I've managed to avoid somehow. Not that I've never forgotten to close a tank lid. Basements were made for fish tanks, heck that's what all those water faucets and drains were put down there for. :D Another 29 gallon tank won't be any more work, and you won't see your husband any less if you put tanks in the basement, really. :D:D Good luck with the argument, I mean discussion, and I hope you end up with some great looking babies out of your pair.

Justice
10-29-2010, 02:20 AM
Well You have certainly had a mixed bag of luck.

Sorry to hear about Eve commiting suicide. :(

Good luck on the others though and CONGRATS on Your new house. :balloon::balloon::balloon:

Jennie
10-29-2010, 07:59 AM
sad indeed. There isn't a single millimeter of a spot open for a fish to jump on my tank. See this tragedy way too much here:(

mlw
10-29-2010, 10:05 PM
WELCOME BACK!!! Sorry to hear about your jumper, that's one tragedy I've managed to avoid somehow. Not that I've never forgotten to close a tank lid. Basements were made for fish tanks, heck that's what all those water faucets and drains were put down there for. :D Another 29 gallon tank won't be any more work, and you won't see your husband any less if you put tanks in the basement, really. :D:D Good luck with the argument, I mean discussion, and I hope you end up with some great looking babies out of your pair.

They are egg eaters Keith. Third clutch to disappear. Talked to my son at 4pm and there were still eggs; by the time I got home at 5pm they were all gone.
They keep trying so I guess eventually they will get it right. Looks like Hoover is over Eve and seems to have paired off with Adam who I thought was male. They are now cleaning a piece of driftwood on the opposite side of the tank.

There is definitely a 29/30 gallon in my future. I am in a birthday club at work, think I will plant the 29 gallon seed and see what gift grows.

mlw
11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I guess fourth time is a charm for them. I have wigglers. They scared me, thought they ate the eggs again because they have moved them twice already. I have about 60 wigglers right now. Dad is getting dark and slimey. Yaaaay! I am going to get a 30 gallon and see if I can raise and sell a few.

The other "pair" has yet to do anyting except clean, shake, shimmy and chase each otehr in between lip locks sigh:(