PDA

View Full Version : Fry Dying?

fryguyzzzz
10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I have recently had a couple pairs that have laid eggs, the eggs are fertilized and they hatch but.....the fry wiggle for a day or so and then start to fall off the spawning site and die. But a couple spawns earlier the fry are fine. Water is all good...Its kinda got me puzzled. Any ideas?

William Palumbo
10-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Wish I could help, but you are not alone with this problem. I have at times had that happen, and as you said, the pairs were successful before. No changes made in routine, it happens...then it's OK. Discus, go figure!...Bill

Eddie
10-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Maybe the fry are weak. What foods do you feed the parents?

fryguyzzzz
10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I am feeding a 50/50 mix of beef heart and raw prawns.

Eddie
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I am feeding a 50/50 mix of beef heart and raw prawns.

Anything else added to it or just the meat/prawns?

fryguyzzzz
10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Anything else added to it or just the meat/prawns?

Eddie
Here is the mix that I make...

10 lbs each BH and Raw Prawns (50/50 mix both put through a grinder once)
1 lbs of frozen chopped spinach (cooked until soft)
3-4 heads of garlic (minced)
Liquid Vitamins (as needed)

kaceyo
10-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Try giving the tank and equipment, including cone, all a good cleaning and wipe down. Sometimes bacteria buildup will cause problems and a good cleaning is all that's needed. Of course daily wc's for a few days to remove what's sloughed off helps too.

Eddie
10-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Try giving the tank and equipment, including cone, all a good cleaning and wipe down. Sometimes bacteria buildup will cause problems and a good cleaning is all that's needed. Of course daily wc's for a few days to remove what's sloughed off helps too.

I'd roll with Kacey's suggestion. Your food should be fine but it could be fouling the water, causing high bacteria levels.

moik
10-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I had a pair do that as you desribed exactly..I figured it was bad/weak genetics due to bulldog genes or bacterial issues...I have PP them and and did everything else to clean the tank up ,but still the issue returned..So I split the pair up and repaired them with other fish and no problems..I still do not know what it was to this day for sure..