PDA

View Full Version : stanley has a hole in his head

lpiasente
10-30-2010, 09:57 PM
As it says Stan has a hole in his head. He isn't bothered by it but it is very deep looks and pink. Should I just do extra water changes and keep an eye on it or add some salt? If I add the salt I have whiptails cories and some peppermints. Should I move these out? I think I remember reading that the catfish can't tolerate salt.
Thanks
Leanne

Eddie
10-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Is it from a gash? Can you get pictures?

lpiasente
10-31-2010, 01:33 AM
it's not a gash it is a perfectly round hole. It looks like someone has got a matchstick and held it there and it has burnt through. It is that size. There is a small scrape above the hole as well. There is some driftwood that he has possibly had a crash with. What is worrying me is how deep it is. I wonder if it is a small scratch that has a bit of an infection in it???? I just tried to take a pic but it is that small and he won't stay still. I noticed it last night and it doesn't seem to be any worse. If it was a scrape on one of the kids I wouldn't worry but these fish arrrrrrrrgh. :)

Kingdom Come Discus
10-31-2010, 01:45 AM
Most of the hole in the head wounds I have seen are not perfectly round on the head but elongated except on the side of the head. They seem to be round on the gill covers sometimes though. This may help. http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/hith.shtml

Good Luck,

lpiasente
10-31-2010, 01:48 AM
I don't think it is hole in the head, it is a wound I just wasn't sure if I should add some salt because it was so deep.

Kingdom Come Discus
10-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Salt can't hurt as long as you don't over do it. One cup per hundred gallons is what I use for injuries and two cups per hundred gallons if something is real stubborn. Make sure it is pure salt of course.

Good luck and let us know how the fish responds please,

lpiasente
10-31-2010, 02:44 AM
Thanks a heap . What about the catfish will they be ok?

Kingdom Come Discus
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Can't give advice on that one. I would guess it is ok, but better be sure.

Thanks,

Eddie
10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Catfish do not tolerate salt well.

Kingdom Come Discus
10-31-2010, 11:16 PM
That is good to know,