PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up pepper in White butterfly

ctzeh
11-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Dear all, i was just wondering if there is any strains besides a clean WB discus that i could pair up with my current WB that would result in cleaner WBs.

I have heard that some people have used rown discus to cross with PB to remove the pepper. Is that true?

Also i saw from a thread by Forrest that he has a soon to be completed strain of WB without PB. How do you guys think that could be achieved? Is it possible to remove PB genes from a PB line of fish? Always thought that PB was a dominant gene.

Thanks for any advice.

Rod
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Dear all, i was just wondering if there is any strains besides a clean WB discus that i could pair up with my current WB that would result in cleaner WBs.

I have heard that some people have used rown discus to cross with PB to remove the pepper. Is that true?

Also i saw from a thread by Forrest that he has a soon to be completed strain of WB without PB. How do you guys think that could be achieved? Is it possible to remove PB genes from a PB line of fish? Always thought that PB was a dominant gene.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, pb is dominant, and actually that makes it easy to remove. It's the recessives that are difficult to remove as they hide and reappear. With a dominant, no hiding. The dominant gene either is, or is not. No hiding, no reappearences.

HTH

Rod

ctzeh
11-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Yes, pb is dominant, and actually that makes it easy to remove. It's the recessives that are difficult to remove as they hide and reappear. With a dominant, no hiding. The dominant gene either is, or is not. No hiding, no reappearences.

HTH

Rod

Hi Rod, thanks for your reply? So what can we do to remove the PB from future generations of discus assuming we want to maintain the same colour but just without the pepper?

Rod
11-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi Rod, thanks for your reply? So what can we do to remove the PB from future generations of discus assuming we want to maintain the same colour but just without the pepper?

I don't think it is possible to remove the pb from a strain and not alter the color. The colors of the white butterfly imo are largely linked to the pb, and by removing it we are left with a cobalt/blue turk type discus.
My guess is Forrest will use a different gene as the base, likely the golden gene, or the snow white gene. Possibly even mask the pb gene with the albino gene, that would make for a very clean looking white butterfly.