PDA

View Full Version : New tank - New Discus - Start of a Journal -

discuspaul
11-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Hi folks,
Recently set up a seeded, planted 75 gal. Osaka tank, & slipped in a group of Forrest HB Red Snakeskins I got from April. They're just youngsters - barely 3.0", but eating like pigs 3-4 X /day, & starting to put on a little "beef", after just 2 weeks.
Can't wait to see their true mature colors develop over the next few months, when I'm told they will get deeper red throughout their body, darker blue finnage, and the body bars will have almost disappeared - we'll see - & I'll post again in a few months to show all of what, if anything, has transpired, if you're interested..
Have a look-see - link:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/1RedSnakeSkins
Paul

Eddie
11-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Nice snakes, will be nice to see them grown out. All the best!

Eddie

Second Hand Pat
11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice, have a whole tank picture.

discuspaul
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Pat,
I'll take one soon & add it to the album.
Paul

Dudley Eirich
11-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Very nice snakeskins! I have some 2" to 2 1/2" blue leopard snakeskins that I am growing out. I hope mine look as nice at that age and size. They are just now starting to get some blue coloration around the outside of the body and some decent red around the fins. Your pictures are great. Would you mind sharing something about the camera, lighting and settings you used?

discuspaul
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Dudley,
Seriously, I have very little experience with cameras & picture-taking.
I'm using a Pentax Optio A 30, & shooting on 'Automatic'; ' Night Scene' setting, refocusing on each shot, depending on distance away. Does that answer your question.
Good luck with your SS's - would love to see pics now & as they develop.
Paul

discuspaul
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
For sh Pat:
Here'a a link to an album of full shot pics of the tank:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/2RedSnakeSkins
Apologies for the poor photography (keep getting the flash reflection in the shots), as well as the slight tank water cloudiness - these were taken just before the usual W/C - I generally have pretty crystal clear water.

Dudley Eirich
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Paul,
Thanks for the information. Were you using tank light or did you use any external light? I think your lighting for the planted tank is much stronger than what I have. I have a barebottom tank with one 40 watt fluorescent for lighting. With lower lighting, it is difficult to keep the fish in focus if they move at all. I can use a flash, but then the colors all seem wrong. If I get some decent pictures, I will post some.
All the best with your fish. By the way, your tank looks terrific! It makes me think that some day I might want to try a show tank. Right now I'm having fun growing out about 17 babies. We'll see what the adults look like. I would love to get at least one fertile pair out of these and (successfully) raise at least one batch of fry.

discus_novice
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
so nice discus you have:).sir i have a question.why do you keep only one species of discus?is it best to keep only one sp. of discus or mix different sp.?

discuspaul
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Answer for Dudley:
Just tank lights - nothing more. They're 2- T5 HO -less than 2 watts/gal. That's enough light to grow plants well in this tank - with root tabs in the sand & occasional dosing with Flourish Comprehensive & Excel.
Need any more info? Would be glad to provide.

discusnovice:
In the past, I have tried different strains/various colors of discus together, and just simply wanted to try a single strain tank, for a change of pace. I like it - & will probably enjoy it even more when the fish grow out for a few months, & get their more mature coloration.

Second Hand Pat
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
For sh Pat:
Here'a a link to an album of full shot pics of the tank:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/2RedSnakeSkins
Apologies for the poor photography (keep getting the flash reflection in the shots), as well as the slight tank water cloudiness - these were taken just before the usual W/C - I generally have pretty crystal clear water.

Thanks Paul, very nice tank and thanks for adding the tank pictures. Is your t5a 4 foot with 2 lights@54w? I have that on my 100 gallon. What bulbs are you running in your light?

discuspaul
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Pat -
Yes, I'm using - 2 - 54w - T5 HO - 36" long - they're called Life-Glo - can't recall who makes them. (The tank is an Osaka 70+ gals. - only 42" wide X 24" high X 20" deep, I believe.)

bonsai dave
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Paul tank is looking great. Keep up the good work.

discus_novice
11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
oh ic.your tank really looks fine...

Hopeful
11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Your setup is beautiful. I am hopeing that I will be able to have success with a planted discus tank, but first I have to figure out how to keep them alive and happy. It has been a challenge for about a year now and i feel no closer to success than when i started. But I am hopeful.:)

discuspaul
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Best of luck, hopeful
I'm here to help if you need any info anytime along the way.
Paul

April
11-06-2010, 01:16 AM
your tank is beautiful. great pics. can i have my discus back? lol. they look great. very happy calm discus. they should grow big as they are doing very well.

Hopeful
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Thank you discuspaul, i have posted a start on the problems that I am having in the water works section. If you have a chance to take a boo at it I would appreciate your help:)