PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Face Red Melon looking for love

Tito
11-02-2010, 03:46 PM
So what can I pair a Yellow Faced Red Melon with - that would make a nice match and produce nice fry?

This is mostly wishful thinking - yall know how I feel about breeding but it would at least be nice to know the options.

Moriarty
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not so sure you can choose to pair these fish as it relates to them spawning.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, but I think these fish either choose their own mates, or they remain single.

William Palumbo
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Force pairing is possible, and done often. Tito, what do you have in mind, or on hand to cross with her?...Bill

Moriarty
11-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Force pairing is possible, and done often.

Thanks for correcting me.

I just did a quick search here, and it looks like there are several threads on the subject of "forced pairing" for me to read up on. Thanks again.

William Palumbo
11-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Obviously, not all forced pairings work. It is better when they pick their own mate. In typical Cichlid fashion, forcing them can lead to CONSTANT fighting...Bill

roclement
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Tito, pm Bobtools, he may have a fish for you.

Rodrigo

Tito
11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

well...if I were to spawn her it would really be just for the fun of it and a spare time type of thing - not like a real project like my Leopards. But I wanted to know what could you pair a Melon like mine with - surely she is a pigeon although there is not a single pep of pepper on her whatsoever. So I figured my choices would be limited - what - another Melon I guess??

Another fish I have is my Apricot Rainbow (by the way - it seems like DM is teh onyl one that has this name) it must be a tangerine or some type of pigeon based yellow - but again - this fish has not one trace of pepper on it.

I wanted the two to pair up but they will never do it - the Apricot absoluetly hates the melon. He actually goes over to eat her eggs as soon as she lays them. He likes to spawn with a CHeckerboard Turq but I would imagine that the fry would be Frankensteins.

seanyuki
11-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Try crossing with solid color fish.....ie Snow White:)

Jennie
11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
what about a yellow crystal??

Eddie
11-02-2010, 09:17 PM
A red melon is pigeon based so another solid type pigeon or pigeon would be my choice. Something like a marlboro red, flamingo, and a as DL mentioned, a yellow crystal. A yellow fish and a red melon might be an interesting cross.

Jhhnn
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I think pigeons are best crossed with other pigeons, or with albinos, so as to avoid peppering... Snow white might work, too- dunno.

Jennie
11-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Well don't know how strong the genes are on the melon, but I like the thought of that yellow with red halo..

Tito
11-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Well these two are the only non-blue based fish in my tank so I'll hold on to them for future use. As my Leopard fry grow out I will know for sure how many will be keepers. If I got so lucky and I have a nice little crew to work with I will more than likely grow them all out in my 125 and take the Rainbow and the Melon and place then in a 29 gallon show tank with a n nice piece of wood and cherry shrimps!:D