PDA

View Full Version : Discus Name Chaos!

SNap0283
11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
OK OK so i know run of the mill local fish shops name discus whatever they want trying to appeal to people. Im used to seeing Candy Apple Red discus and Sky Blue Gem discus so largely i ignore the names placed on them.

But i notice certain names coming up over and over again from various reputable dealers and web sites. So chances are they are different strands and have different names for a reason but since i havnt seen full grown specimens in person its hard to understand some of the differences. So anyone care to explain what makes a Red Turquoise different from a Brilliant Turquoise and what makes those different from a Red Scribbelt?

Jhhnn
11-03-2010, 07:32 PM
OK OK so i know run of the mill local fish shops name discus whatever they want trying to appeal to people. Im used to seeing Candy Apple Red discus and Sky Blue Gem discus so largely i ignore the names placed on them.

But i notice certain names coming up over and over again from various reputable dealers and web sites. So chances are they are different strands and have different names for a reason but since i havnt seen full grown specimens in person its hard to understand some of the differences. So anyone care to explain what makes a Red Turquoise different from a Brilliant Turquoise and what makes those different from a Red Scribbelt?

brilliants have broad turquoise stripes sometimes blending into areas of solid turquoise. their background body color is brown. red turquoise can have broad or medium stripes on red background body color, sometimes breaking up into spots rather than lines. checkerboard turqs are a pattern variant of red turqs. red scribbelt is a brand name/ particular pattern of red turquoise developed by stendker.

Nice pics of brilliants & checkerboards in Kenny's nov shipment postings, and pics of red turquoise in his past offerings. Hans has pics of red scribbelts, i'm sure...

joshuajames
11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
i have seen fish labeled red turq that look blue.and i have seen blue turqs that look no different then a red turq.at jumbo sizes. cracks me up when someone asks me..what kind of fish is that? i say its a red turq. they say...its blue.lol
off subject a little... what is altum? as in altum turq?altum flora?altum carnation?
i see ultum carnations that basically look like a red turq. altum?...

Tito
11-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Man I hope this thread gets hot!

Tito sits back with the popcorn!

SNap0283
11-03-2010, 09:49 PM
wooo! ive never created a thread on any forum for anything that got hot...
:argue:

I actually sorta hope this one doesnt. i know there is a lot of debate and mislabeling that goes on. The types i mentioned are fairly common ones used by most if not all big time breeders, so i assume there is an actual difference between them and its not a case of people just naming things what they want and creating new names for already named strands. I dont want that debate to take place here, im just looking for a bit of clarification on true strands and what the difference is. Exactly like what Jhhhh said (thanks for the answer) brilliants have a brown base, red turquoise has a red base. If anyone has more to add to that great, but i think that pretty much answers my question!

Ok ok if you want this to turn into that other debate then go for it ive got my answer

Jennie
11-03-2010, 10:00 PM
lol snap, you gotta get Tito. :D

Eddie
11-04-2010, 07:00 AM
The difference is the breeder! LOL One man's cobalt is another man's brilliant. LOL

pcsb23
11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
The difference is the breeder! LOL One man's cobalt is another man's brilliant. LOLActually I completely disagree here. A traditional brilliant turk had a definite halo, cobalts do not. Also there was patterning on the body of the brilliant, there should be none on the cobalt.

Unfortunately a lot of the traditional strains have become poor morphs of each other and the hobby is the worse for it.

Both are a variant of the striped turquoise discus though.

Tito
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
So is there a difference between a Cobalt and a Blue Diamond?

pcsb23
11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
So is there a difference between a Cobalt and a Blue Diamond?Yes, a "proper" BD has no bars anywhere and is basically a solid blue discus. The very best have almost an iridescent sheen and red eyes that look like fire. A cobalt will have bars, and definitely visible through the eye and peduncle. Also cobalts may have stripes on their face.

I have never owned BD's as I don't like them, but have attached a pic of a cobalt I used to own.

Skip
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
aww... did this thread get edited?! . i think i missed something.. :(

pcsb23
11-04-2010, 09:52 AM
aww... did this thread get edited?! . i think i missed something.. :(no, not been edited why?

Skip
11-04-2010, 10:04 AM
no, not been edited why?

well.. i was wondering why tito was getting popcorn.. to watch arguement.. but i didn't really "see" anything like that..

however.. i am hungover.. so it is kind of hard for me to focus my eyes.. much less try to read.. AND comprehend what i read.. :D

Tito
11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
well.. i was wondering why tito was getting popcorn.. to watch arguement.. but i didn't really "see" anything like that..

however.. i am hungover.. so it is kind of hard for me to focus my eyes.. much less try to read.. AND comprehend what i read.. :D

LOL

I'm anticipating a heated discussion. So far no flames!

pcsb23
11-04-2010, 10:23 AM

however.. i am hungover.. so it is kind of hard for me to focus my eyes.. much less try to read.. AND comprehend what i read.. :Dhehe, go get a coffee :bandana:

Skip
11-04-2010, 11:00 AM
hehe, go get a coffee :bandana:

daddy needs a nap (4 hrs sleep is no bueno!) and more water :vomit:

kaceyo
11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
IMO, a brilliant turq has a much brighter, more metalic look to it than a standard turq. A RT simply has red striations between the turquoise striations and the striations are more distict than with a standard turq. A red scribbled (or checkerboard etc etc etc) is just a red turq that has the striations broken up into a various patterns.

prat
11-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.pds.ph/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=859

Eddie
11-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Actually I completely disagree here. A traditional brilliant turk had a definite halo, cobalts do not. Also there was patterning on the body of the brilliant, there should be none on the cobalt.

Unfortunately a lot of the traditional strains have become poor morphs of each other and the hobby is the worse for it.

Both are a variant of the striped turquoise discus though.

I agree with you Paul but thats why it gets so blurred, people putting out fish and calling them something they definitely are not. ;)

Tito
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree with you Paul but thats why it gets so blurred, people putting out fish and calling them something they definitely are not. ;)

but do I posibly see some smoke.......:D

Eddie
11-05-2010, 07:55 PM
but do I posibly see some smoke.......:D

No smoke my friend, its the truth. Its not just with turqs, its with red fish, pigeons, albinos...some breeders call their fish different than another. ;) For example, what in the "H" is a red spotted leopard? There is no such fish, there is a leopard and thats it. Then there are golden leopards, albino leopards.

Jhhnn
11-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.pds.ph/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=859

Thanks for the link prat- it's a keeper.

Apparently I was mostly right with what I said on the first page... well, nobody's jumped me, anyway...