PDA

View Full Version : Wood and aquascaping for wilds

Dave B
11-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm going to be ordering my wilds any minute now and this weekend I'll have a chance to shop through a pretty huge selection of wood and plants for the tank setup.

I have a 4x2x2 120g and it's set up with temporary stuff now. I want to completely redo it though for the discus. It has a blue background, so the first item on the list is figuring out how to either paint that black or get a natural/3D one that will accommodate the center overflow. I want to ask about the scaping, though, particularly the wood.

My favorite tanks are Heiko's Lesson (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&Scale=514&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=141) and this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJiKGCryFw), for different reasons. Both are simple, planted, and brightly lit. I love them.

But I know that this is not ideal for wilds, which want cover and shade and roots/branches to swim under.

I'll someday do a blackwater biotope that's 100% accurate, but right now I want to strike a balance between natural and showy. This tank is in my primary living space.

I think I can get great color out of the right bulbs even putting 40w over this 120g. So the dimness is not something that concerns me. I'll set it up so I have several options anyway.

But I have no idea how great tanks like Mats' with the thin branches hanging down from the top get put together. What kind of wood is that? More importantly, how is it arranged? Is it just very careful stacking? Balanced over top of the overflows? Tied to the top?

Are there any good tricks to create some cover/shade other than those plants that just float on the surface? Right now I've got a 36" fake plant (in the 24" height) that come up over a big fake stump and floats up top, and that works... but fake plants are ugly and this one is especially unnatural. I have visions of a lowercase r-shaped branch that goes out over the middle and has plants on it, but in my head those are anubias, and anubias don't fit the amazon, right?

I'd love to see any pics you might know of that illustrate some tips/tricks to getting the wood set up, or show nice blends of properly organized wood and swords, etc.

Here are two pics of the tank now... the first has the 80w of light over it, the 2nd just 40. (That blue really just makes it obnoxiously bright either way, though. It has to go.)

William Palumbo
11-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Dave, that gnarly looking wood is called Mazanita. There is a sponsor on here who sells some sweet pieces. Pieces can be screwed together to form certain designs. I like a LOT of wood in my wild tanks, tannin stained water, and low light. The only plants I would like to use would be floating ones...Bill

William Palumbo
11-04-2010, 11:12 PM
The branches I use are from a big shrub in my backyard...Bill

Dave B
11-04-2010, 11:19 PM
AH, OK, I've seen lots of that for sale. When he lists the individual pieces it's hard to use your imagination to come up with them all being together.

Previously I only knew Manzanita from a Dead song, heh...

So in that third photo, how is that clump of it anchored to the upper right?

That tank with the stained water and everything is exactly what I'm after downstairs. Maybe a bit thicker/more twisty with the wood (like Mats' centerpiece) is a bit more my style... Perhaps I'll end up putting the wilds down there and do it just right.

I guess for upstairs I'm looking for ideas on how I can get a nice colorful show tank while still maintaining some elements of the proper natural look.

Dave B
11-04-2010, 11:19 PM
The branches I use are from a big shrub in my backyard...Bill

Ooh, I like that big corner pile you've got there...

William Palumbo
11-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Dave. That is what the tank looks like now. I pretty much lumped most of the wood/branches to that side to give the illusion of a riverbank. Also, is where my big AquaClear is, and my Hydrosponge, so I get a lot of flow thru the wood, to keep dead space to a minimum. I would like to get some Manzanita myself for my next tank. To have the tank top "open" would be cool, and a lot more you can do with it. But you have to figure in heat loss...humidity...and possible jumpers...Bill

DiscusBR
11-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I created a thread called "Aquascaping with Manzanita driftwood" in the "Planted/Show Tanks and Biotopes" session that has some interesting aquascaping ideas:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=82887

It would be great to see more ideas and pictures.

William Palumbo
11-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I myself, like the "natural" look. Composition and some "Fung Shway" work to a degree, but I don't adhere strictly to it. I am not into "manicured" tanks, where everything has to be just right. Wild is wild. But to each his own...Bill

Dave B
11-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I myself, like the "natural" look. Composition and some "Fung Shway" work to a degree, but I don't adhere strictly to it. I am not into "manicured" tanks, where everything has to be just right. Wild is wild. But to each his own...Bill
Some day, when I have a giant room for ten thousand gallons of water, I'm going to have a massive paludarium that's 100% true to nature. Every stick, plant, fish, and light time will be 100% perfect.

For now, though, I've got to balance show/looks/artisticness with nature. I realize that nothing I do, no stock combo I make, etc will be perfect, but I try to stick to it - ie, fish from the same region at least, proper amounts of light, food, caves, etc- as closely as I can. Wife acceptance and looking good in the kitchen/family room comes into play as well. Downstairs, not so much.

William Palumbo
11-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey Dave I hear you on wanting a nice display in the living quarters. My tanks were the same way(nice) when I had them upstairs as well. Now everything is in the basement, so I am free to do my thing! I've had some sweet Paludariums before, but never with Discus...yet!...Bill

Dave B
11-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Hey Dave I hear you on wanting a nice display in the living quarters. My tanks were the same way(nice) when I had them upstairs as well. Now everything is in the basement, so I am free to do my thing! I've had some sweet Paludariums before, but never with Discus...yet!...Bill
I can't remember if it was MFK or somewhere in one of the Senske's galleries, but I've seen this absolutely incredible room-sized paludarium with discus semi-recently. It was amazing.

I don't know a damn thing about non-fish amazon animals, but boy is it impressive.

lee1
11-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Certain species of sword plants will grow tall and cast lots of shade. I'm currently looking for a extra tall amazon sword. The previous ones I had only grew 12 inches tall.

William Palumbo
11-05-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm going to try some Wisteria and/or Watersprite for floating plants. I have had them in tanks in the past and I liked the look/effect it had...Bill

Dave B
11-05-2010, 01:43 AM
The plants 3dees uses look good too. They have some substance to them.

his tank is the same shape as mine too. Great inspiration. Now if only I could lose this stupid center overflow...

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Dave, found this while checking out your first post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGleTattRo&feature=related

I want this in my livingroom.

Dave B
11-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I've seen the photos of it finished but never the ones in progress.

I feel bad saying this, but I kind of liked it better before it got heavily planted. I love that piece of wood! All I can think of is the pre-plant setup with about 50 eartheaters and more discus than I could count. And perhaps an Arowana for the top.

teow12
11-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Look and this one :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/teow12g?feature=mhum#p/f/5/mQvCttWASD0

William Palumbo
11-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I feel the same way too Dave. I liked the wood only look...Bill

Dave B
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Haha, so screw Manzanita branches... Where can I get a U shaped branchy log that will fit in a 4x2 tank? :)

(Actually a piece like that would be awesome downstairs in my 7x2....)

William Palumbo
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
You'll have to go to the Forest Preserve with an axe and saw! Manzanita will be fine for our smaller tanks...Bill

DiscusLoverJeff
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
That is an amazing personal tank. Put that on my Christmas list!

Figure about $50,000?

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I liked it better without the plants also.

Darrell Ward
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree. It's a great tank, but Amano, or whatever his name is, thinks every tank has to be stuffed full of plants. It makes the tank go from natural looking, to "garden" looking. My fanasty is to buy that tank from him, and rip out those weeds, throw them on the floor, and stomp on them while he watched! :D

Skip
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
do you treat the wood from your shurb/bush before you put it in your tank?

William Palumbo
11-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I agree. It's a great tank, but Amano, or whatever his name is, thinks every tank has to be stuffed full of plants. It makes the tank go from natural looking, to "garden" looking. My fanasty is to buy that tank from him, and rip out those weeds, throw them on the floor, and stomp on them while he watched! :D
LOL Darrell. Can I help?...Love also how the trend now is to put a "landscape" in a aquascape. Nothing says "natural" like looking in a tank. and seeing Hills, mountains, a path, and even a waterfall! Maybe I should break out those Roman ruins I had, and really make it look terrestrial!...Bill

mwdw
11-18-2010, 06:13 PM
seen pics of your tank many times bill. always impressed with how natural looking it is. really like the back ground. good job.

William Palumbo
11-18-2010, 06:29 PM
seen pics of your tank many times bill. always impressed with how natural looking it is. really like the back ground. good job.

Thanks...I'm going to shortly get started on a new decorated "project", using a homemade 3-D background and other "natural" elements. Just need to gather some more supplies...Bill

mwdw
11-18-2010, 09:55 PM
like to see that. going to start on a project myself after christmas.rescaping my 150 tall. wanting to use floating plants and vals. need to do research on required lighting first.

William Palumbo
11-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Cool!...I really like the tall tanks. I think the Discus look best in them. Plus, I feel you can get more creative doing a Bio-tope style tank...Bill

3dees
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm with you Bill. as beautiful as some of those tanks are, I can't understand why anyone designs a tank to look like a mountain landscape. I've done some diving in my younger years and I have never seen a little road going thru the forest.

Eddie
12-13-2010, 11:47 PM

LMAO!

Discus-n00b
12-14-2010, 02:05 AM
LOL rip out those weeds. I agree. Some planted tanks look great don't get me wrong, but I got into aquariums for the FISH not the plants. Like going to a steakhouse and ordering rabbit food! Just ain't right!

Melissa
12-14-2010, 02:43 AM

LMAO DARRELL!!!,!,

+1 on that for sure!

Jennie
12-14-2010, 07:37 AM
I think Bills tank is the best looking wild tank..I'd go with that look if your going wild. The planted tanks are beautiful but the maintenance must be enormous

plecocicho
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
No, better:
setup a nature hightech aquarium full of plants, film it and add a cheasy classical music. Than add few hungry Uaros to it and film it with some slayer music. Now that would be fricking metal.

Jennie
12-14-2010, 08:51 AM
lol
No, better:
setup a nature hightech aquarium full of plants, film it and add a cheasy classical music. Than add few hungry Uaros to it and film it with some slayer music. Now that would be fricking metal.

NanDiscus
12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Darrel's point is quite articulate, but I guess it would be fair to mention some discus strains to stomp on as well. My mate just calls those 'tamagochi'.

Nandi

Dave B
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
HAHAHAHA.

I do appreciate a good planted tank. But as an owner of Uaru, holy cow would that be funny. This has to happen. Even if it's just a tiny tank with some leftover plants that don't matter.