PDA

View Full Version : Twice in one Week?

DiscusLoverJeff
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

My pair of Blue Diamonds laid a generous amount of eggs Saturday and ate them on Sunday. Then, in less than a week, they laid another generous amount last night. Is this normal for a pair to do?

This time though I covered the eggs from being eaten with a screen to see what happens. The pair are from Hans by the way.

John_Nicholson
11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
I once had a female BD that laid eggs 4 days apart. Normally it is about a week.

-john

DiscusLoverJeff
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I figured 7 to 10 days as the average cycle, but not 5 days apart.

Just when you think you know your discus, you don't!

nc0gnet0
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Most often, if the eggs are layed less than 5 days apart, you have two females. Not to say that this is an absolute, but I would guess it to hold true 95% of the time. I have a pair that lays eggs every 6 days, another every 8.

William Palumbo
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking two females as well...Bill

Ruffy
11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
my pair of leopards laid eggs like discusloverjeff's 4 days apart also....... but the second batch was fertilized and I had wrigglers so is that considered a pair?

DiscusOnly
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a pair of Pigeon SS from Hans that laid eggs 3 days apart.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79566

Both batched turned white and a few more subsequent batches as well. The pair is now a proven male/female with frys.

John_Nicholson
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Most often, if the eggs are layed less than 5 days apart, you have two females. Not to say that this is an absolute, but I would guess it to hold true 95% of the time. I have a pair that lays eggs every 6 days, another every 8.

I eould say the percentage is closer to about 75%.

-john

SNap0283
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I guess Hans' fish really like to spawn!

DiscusLoverJeff
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
These were a proven pair, so hopefully they just received good feedings and good water and were just a bit friskier than normal.

BOBT00LS
11-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello Jeff. I would have to think its not out of the ordinary since I have an Albino Blue Diamond pair that lays every 5 days like clockwork and they are a proven pair.

Bob

DiscusLoverJeff
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow thats great Bob!

Have you had success with the fry on those?

nc0gnet0
11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I eould say the percentage is closer to about 75%.

So a pair laying eggs every 4 days is 75% likely to be two females? Interesting. I would have thought it to be higher based on my limited expierance.

Hopeful
11-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I read somewhere that they will lay every week for a period of time(untill they have wigglers) twice a year. This is what i read not what i know:)

BOBT00LS
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow thats great Bob!

Have you had success with the fry on those?

Hey Jeff. The pair is young, getting better at it every time, larger tighter clutches and I witness the male fertilizing although there is alot alot of competition with them to get to the cone to do their job. As I mentioned they get to wigglers and even when screening the cone they push into the nylon screening to reach the wigglers. Im know that in time they will get it right but the loss of Albino blue diamond clutches has put me in the position to attempt artificial rearing on their next spawn which is due to occur tomorrow. Even if they get past eating the wigglers then the next hurdle is attachment so I figured what do I have to lose by attempting this if they are going to eat them anyway. If I can successfully raise them artificially Ill save alot of time and fry. I have 13 other ABD's that will be pairing soon so it will be good practice.

Bob