PDA

View Full Version : Spawning

aussiefish
11-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi all
How can you tell if 2 fish have paired up if they are in a tank by themselves ??
I have watched fish pair in my community tank, and watched them defend an area in it. I have a female that has spawned and raise 3-4 batchs, I have removed the male about 3 months ago and then put in another mate (unconfirmed sex) the see if they would pair and spawn. But i dont know if they have. Is there any way to make them spawn so i can determine if the new mate is male or female ??

Eddie
11-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi all
How can you tell if 2 fish have paired up if they are in a tank by themselves ??
I have watched fish pair in my community tank, and watched them defend an area in it. I have a female that has spawned and raise 3-4 batchs, I have removed the male about 3 months ago and then put in another mate (unconfirmed sex) the see if they would pair and spawn. But i dont know if they have. Is there any way to make them spawn so i can determine if the new mate is male or female ??

Putting an unkown sex with a known sex isn't really a good practice. If the unkown sex turns out to be female, you'll be back pedaling if they bond and spawn together. If you are unsure of the sex, its always best to let a group form their own pairs. :o