PDA

View Full Version : Now thats how you do a water change

joe98ss
11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
My buddy sent this to me wow it would be nice to have a setup like that lol. Not sure if anyone posted this before I figured I would post it. Thanks, Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWMnPZKJWaE

cobsterrr
11-06-2010, 06:37 PM
no need for aqua safe?! :p

rickztahone
11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah, its been posted but its always nice to see it again

Dave B
11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe it's just that the people are small, or the perspective, but those fish look like they're the size of dinner plates.

Jennie
11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
nothing like wading in fish poop

discus_novice
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
changing water in this way can be stressful to those discus.but they have really some adult discus which adapt that condition.then it is fine...

Kingdom Come Discus
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
This is why my wife hates fish. Their floor looks like the floor in my den a few times a year when something malfunctions, mainly me!!!!

Jennie
11-06-2010, 09:27 PM
ya, but you don't wade around barefoot in it right?? LOL
This is why my wife hates fish. Their floor looks like the floor in my den a few times a year when something malfunctions, mainly me!!!!

Kingdom Come Discus
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
You are right there. LOL

Eddie
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Yup, thats how they should be done. I see some of the tanks have BN plecos for cleaning the glass. Since I dont, I wipe down every surface as the water drains. ;)

Jennie
11-06-2010, 09:43 PM
you draining yours out on the floor Eddie??

Eddie
11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
you draining yours out on the floor Eddie??

Not straight forward at my feet but out the front door onto my porch. ;) I don't have a set-up like that, not yet anyways. :D

discus_novice
11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
:)

roclement
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
When lawrence posted this video the first time, it was a real eye opener about how "delicate" our fish really are...! :)

Rodrigo

Disgirl
11-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Looks like my kitchen floor did a few hrs. ago when I spilled half a bucket of fish water on the floor! Good thing I have lots of old towels.....
Barb:D

seanyuki
11-06-2010, 11:07 PM
This is an old post.....water changes.....just sharing.....videos 1-4:)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71883&highlight=water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLBzgSzzis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYeC7Ayj_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQzZHwnO3I4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr9fa66X1JU

Eddie
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Similar to the way I scrub my tanks but I never wring out my sponges in the tank first. I wring them out under tap and only about 3-4 days apart.

Tito
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I dont want to start any trouble - but someone said the size of dinner plates.

This is how we get the 8" Discus.

They don't look like the size of dinner plates to me. They look a like smaller than a dinner plate.

seanyuki
11-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Just a figure of speech....saying dinner plates = ......very big discus.....my dinner plates at home is over 10 ins.....I am pretty happy if my discus can grow to 8 ins lol:)

I dont want to start any trouble - but someone said the size of dinner plates.

This is how we get the 8" Discus.

They don't look like the size of dinner plates to me. They look a like smaller than a dinner plate.

lpiasente
11-07-2010, 12:18 AM
those fish are just beautiful.thanks for the video I haven't seen it before

Discus-n00b
11-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Similar to the way I scrub my tanks but I never wring out my sponges in the tank first. I wring them out under tap and only about 3-4 days apart.

Thats basically what I do each time in that video. Not quite as fast or intense lol, but same process. And while one is filling back up i'm going ahead and wiping the next one down. Well oiled machine!

No big siphon tube on the end for me either, just a straight piece of tubing gives better suction. I sometimes have to push my fish out of the way like he does too, they are to curious or hungry! :D

Eddie
11-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Thats basically what I do each time in that video. Not quite as fast or intense lol, but same process. And while one is filling back up i'm going ahead and wiping the next one down. Well oiled machine!

No big siphon tube on the end for me either, just a straight piece of tubing gives better suction. I sometimes have to push my fish out of the way like he does too, they are to curious or hungry! :D

Yup. they've learned that if they get in the way...they get F'ed up! LOL

PAR23
11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah......my lawn would love all that nitrogen filled water

DiscusKev
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Woah did I not see that video before (secret to spotless tank). Maybe I should make a video on that haha :D

Eddie
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah......my lawn would love all that nitrogen filled water

Yup, my palm trees LOVE it and my banana tree is taking over my house and the neighbors!

j_li8
11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Yup that is one fast water change. I would like to use it to water the plants but carrying a 5 gallon bucket up and down some stairs just isnt logical to me. When I had a tank downstairs I would dump a bucket into the plants here and there.

jball1125
11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Couple of states would be wiped out of their water supply after a week or two of that routine. LOL.... the water is being put back in at such high pressure I'm surprised it doesn't kill some of the discus. Even when the tanks are almost filled you can still see the water pressure against the bottom front glass.....

Tito
11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
the water is being put back in at such high pressure I'm surprised it doesn't kill some of the discus. Even when the tanks are almost filled you can still see the water pressure against the bottom front glass.....

This is something I noticed as well and I immediately began to think about how folks are so tender with their Discus....

But it just goes to show being tender with your fish has more to do with a "pet-owner" relationship then a functional requirement.

As we can see - when it comes down to business and mass production - the fish are handled like a product in a manufacturing plant on one of those "How they make it" docus on cable TV. Obviously the fish are not harmed.

jball1125
11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
This is something I noticed as well and I immediately began to think about how folks are so tender with their Discus....

But it just goes to show being tender with your fish has more to do with a "pet-owner" relationship then a functional requirement.

As we can see - when it comes down to business and mass production - the fish are handled like a product in a manufacturing plant on one of those "How they make it" docus on cable TV. Obviously the fish are not harmed.

Your right Tito... whenever I go to Wattleys hatchery Gabe always picks the fish right out of the water and displays it in his hand for me so I can see any imperfections. He does it without even thinking about it, yet when I net a fish at home I treat it like it will fall apart at nothing.....

Jhhnn
11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I suspect that what we don't see in the videos is that producers suffer a small % of loss in their stock as a result of their methods. For them, it's acceptable and comes with the territory. They're also culling in an ongoing fashion. Losing one fish here and there isn't a big deal when you have hundreds, and produce more in an ongoing fashion. Losses are expressed as percentages.

For hobbyists, granularity becomes a bigger issue, because losses are measured one fish at a time. We can't have a 2% loss if we only have 8 discus, for example. The minimum loss would be 12.5%, one fish...

Large breeders also don't keep more than a small % of their stock, their breeders, for an extended period of time, so the cumulative effects of small traumas over time aren't an issue for them...

John_Nicholson
11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
"cumulative effects of small traumas over time aren't an issue for them."

I don't see any trauma happening. That is not hurting those fish at all. If you stuck you hand in the water would it hurt you? You might not like it so you would just more your hand. The fish do the same thing. It is no big deal.

-john

PAR23
11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Yup, my palm trees LOVE it and my banana tree is taking over my house and the neighbors!

I wish we had palm trees here in NY.....Instead we got snow this morning:(

Tito
11-08-2010, 12:30 PM
"cumulative effects of small traumas over time aren't an issue for them."

I don't see any trauma happening. That is not hurting those fish at all. If you stuck you hand in the water would it hurt you? You might not like it so you would just more your hand. The fish do the same thing. It is no big deal.

-john
+1

Eddie
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I wish we had palm trees here in NY.....Instead we got snow this morning:(

G-damn, that blows! I still have to run the AC in the house. :o

seanyuki
11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Lol Eddie....the AC for you or for the fish:p.....what the temperature in Nihon these days?...still hot.

G-damn, that blows! I still have to run the AC in the house. :o

Eddie
11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Lol Eddie....the AC for you or for the fish:p.....what the temperature in Nihon these days?...still hot.

Not too high, around the 80s with the humidity. ;)