PDA

View Full Version : to blue eyes or not to blue eyes...

discusmoose
11-07-2010, 02:34 AM
I thought about posting this in the rate my discus section, but, it really is not about one discus.
Blue Diamonds/blue diamond bulldogs, eye color,
We have a pr of BDB's with Red eyes, and a pr without.
my beloved Royal blue diamond bulldogs (almost purple) have redish purple eyes (ok, they are a oxblood color.) WHAT is the corect color , or are both right? and should the eyes be larger(not huge) in "bulldogs'?
Second, What is the actual standard that defines "bulldog" ? ours are very short body and very tall, with slightly larger eyes. We have this in Red diamond bulldogs, Yellow diamond bulldogs, white diamond bulldogs(solid color albinos ,pink eyes)and orange flame bulldogs. Yet I see many short bodied just "diamonds" as well as "bulldogs" that are long bodied, My guess is a quality issue, but what are the facts?
Just curious for other opinions, I hate to continue to cull the long bodied ones out !
Doc "B"

lpiasente
11-07-2010, 02:45 AM
mmm they sound nice what about some pics

discusmoose
11-07-2010, 04:58 AM
I honestly am embarassed by my poor photo skills, I also havent messed much with posting pics, some of my garbage pics are in my album in my profile,
My big issue is differentiating the bulldog strain, in some cases its drastic others its just a tall short body. That and the standard for eye color.
Aquarium USA just did a "primer" in their yearly issue and it was more confusing then helpful when it came to colors and standards.
The beginner strain identifier on this web site is great, but I wanted more info.
I have noticed some of my discus purchased as one name actually are something different. an example was some super eruptions that appear to be panang eruptions , and others.
I wish hobby breeders would keep to like colors and strains, the mix up of "mutts" is getting crazy !
Thats why the sponsors on here are so important, You will get what you order.
Doc"B"

pcsb23
11-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Blue diamonds should have red eyes, fire red eyes at that.

As for bulldog strains, my views are well documented so I wont go there.

roundfishross
11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Andrew soh says a few things about bulldogs in his books ;)

Jhhnn
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Some blue diamonds have ruby red eyes, even oxblood as you describe, while others have carrot orange eyes. Depending on who you ask, either is acceptable, with the ruby red increasingly favored.

Bulldogs are the great divide among discus keepers. Love 'em or hate 'em, there's not much in between. I'm not really sure that there are standards for bulldogs, other than them being easily discernable from traditional discus, even from high bodied strains like altum flora...

If you're getting standard discus shapes among your bulldog fry, they can be thought of as throwbacks, marketed as such. Otherwise, buyers may not be pleased to find bulldogs among the fry produced by such fish.

I'm personally disinterested in bulldogs, but whatever floats your boat...

discusmoose
11-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Thank you All,
I have looked at "Bulldogs" on a few sites, and on here, the huge forehead and radical heads dont seem to fit my "bulldogs",
All the "bulldogs" we have came in as juvies from 1 supplier in Germany, They look to be more "High bodied" diamonds then "Bulldogs" pictured here and elsewhere.
I just keep debating with myself as to weather these are poor Quality "Bulldogs" or throwbacks, or just high bodied diamonds.
I think the latter.(and am darned glad of that. even though they were supposed to be bulldogs, Im glad they are not)
Thanks again,
Doc"B"

discusmoose
11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k509/Discusmoose/labfish059.jpg

This is a awful pic but it shows tyical body shape of our "Bulldogs, This small male actually has gold eyes that in my opinion are oversized,
I hope this gives you a idea what I was asking about
Doc "B"

discusmoose
11-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Im just impressed I got the pic to post !
sorry out of focus and dirty glass, and over exposed, Im no photographer.The only camera I have is a Iphone
Doc "B"

mikeos
11-08-2010, 03:55 AM
The ideal for BD is red, the redder the better.

The ideal only really applies to show fish though, for others its what you like.

bulldogs .....well I'm with paul.:)