PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a temp and/or PH contoller?

DiscusBR
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I will start a 75 gallon tank to keep 5 high-quality wild discus. I am starting a new job, which will require that I travel frequently (mostly 3-5 day trips, but sometimes I will be out for 3 weeks!). I will have someone stop by to do water changes and check the tank during these trips, but I am considering investing in equipment that will help keep things in good shape. As I said in a thread in another section of the forum, I am considering a temp controller for two 150W Jagger heaters. One option is Jehmco’s Pro-Heat controller #D58. Does anyone use it and/or have experience with it? Also, does anyone use a controller that can also monitor and correct PH when you are on vacation? Or that is not really necessary? Do I need to worry with PH dropping to dangerous levels when I am out of town? If I do, can anyone recommend a temp AND PH controller that will not be terribly expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Yboat
11-08-2010, 07:49 PM
unless yoiu are using CO2 for plant growth there is no reason to have a PH controler.

Jennie
11-08-2010, 09:12 PM
can't answer on the ph controller but temp controller answered here
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=696293#post696293

DiscusOnly
11-08-2010, 10:02 PM
As stated earlier, you don't need to monitor your pH unless you are injecting CO2.

I personally use a Neptune Aquacontroll III for my planted tank. It gives me the ability to monitor the temp,ph,light and practically anyting that uses power. I have it hooked up to my home Internet so that I can control it via a web browser or Iphone. It's actually set up so that it will alarm me when certain criteria are met (such as low/high temp or pH).

I plan to add a wireless web cam to it in the near future so that I can turn on/off to monitor my house an tank remotely.

DiscusBR
11-09-2010, 12:26 AM
As stated earlier, you don't need to monitor your pH unless you are injecting CO2.

I personally use a Neptune Aquacontroll III for my planted tank. It gives me the ability to monitor the temp,ph,light and practically anyting that uses power. I have it hooked up to my home Internet so that I can control it via a web browser or Iphone. It's actually set up so that it will alarm me when certain criteria are met (such as low/high temp or pH).

I plan to add a wireless web cam to it in the near future so that I can turn on/off to monitor my house an tank remotely.

I will not have CO2 injection and thererefore it seems that I don't need to worry with PH. The idea of having a sophisticated controller and monitoring your tank though the Internet is cool :computer: :fish:. But the Neptune Aquacontroll III costs about $300 dollars :shocked: Does anyone recommend cheaper alternatives?

Jennie
11-09-2010, 07:32 AM
That's so cool Vlam!:)

discuscraze
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
That's so cool Vlam!:)

You have to see this tank ... it is breathtaking. And the spot he has chosen seems to have been designed for the gorgeous tank.

Justice
11-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I will not have CO2 injection and thererefore it seems that I don't need to worry with PH. The idea of having a sophisticated controller and monitoring your tank though the Internet is cool . But the Neptune Aquacontroll III costs about $300 dollars Does anyone recommend cheaper alternatives?.You asked about a less expensive temp controller, Kens fish.com has these two: HC-0800 HEATER CONTROLLER $21.15 & HC-0810 DIGITAL HEATER CONTROLLER $33.45 .

BTW: The 0810 also has a large Digital Readout of the Tank Temp and has a High and Low Temp Alert. So you get a, Temp Controller-Thermometer-Hi/Lo Temp Alert all rolled in one. Nice for the price.

http://www.kensfish.com/finnextitaniumheaters.html

DiscusBR
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
You have to see this tank ... it is breathtaking. And the spot he has chosen seems to have been designed for the gorgeous tank.

I want photos:bounce2:

DiscusBR
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
You asked about a less expensive temp controller, Kens fish.com has these two: HC-0800 HEATER CONTROLLER $21.15 & HC-0810 DIGITAL HEATER CONTROLLER $33.45 .

BTW: The 0810 also has a large Digital Readout of the Tank Temp and has a High and Low Temp Alert. So you get a, Temp Controller-Thermometer-Hi/Lo Temp Alert all rolled in one. Nice for the price.

Thanks for the info!

Jennie
11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Got Pics????? I need pics, where are the PICS!:D

Jhhnn
11-09-2010, 11:12 PM
You asked about a less expensive temp controller, Kens fish.com has these two: HC-0800 HEATER CONTROLLER $21.15 & HC-0810 DIGITAL HEATER CONTROLLER $33.45 .

I use the hc-0800 models w/ jager heaters. I calibrate and set the jagers to ~88F, use the finnex to regulate the temp at a lower setting. The calibration on the finnex controllers isn't spot on, but it's easy enough to compensate, and they hold steady... I use Ken's stick on ATI thermometers exclusively, and have a Thomas Scientific spirit thermometer for when I get nervous... It always tells me that the stick on's are doing their jobs...

Justice
11-10-2010, 02:26 AM
I use the hc-0800 models w/ jager heaters. I calibrate and set the jagers to ~88F, use the finnex to regulate the temp at a lower setting. The calibration on the finnex controllers isn't spot on, but it's easy enough to compensate, and they hold steady... I use Ken's stick on ATI thermometers exclusively, and have a Thomas Scientific spirit thermometer for when I get nervous... It always tells me that the stick on's are doing their jobs...

Sounds good!