PDA

View Full Version : very very shy discus

pocketgod763
11-08-2010, 11:08 PM
hi there so i pretty new at discus keeping as im posting here in the noob thread.. so about a month and 1/2 ago i went to my lfs and without thinking i bought 2 pb discus about 3", took them home and left them in my 10 gallon, then went on the net and read a little bout the fish i just got.. i then went out got an 29 gallon, put the fish in that tank and got 4 more discus from a local breeder, 1 yellow, 2 bd and 1 snow.. all about 2-3".. was going to keep them in the 29 until i get my 90 gallon or until they are a little bigger. but then out of no where one of the blue one got white spot and die like 2 day later after treatment. then another blue one got it but i was able to save him. i still dont know what cause the white spot. cuz when got them they all are very heathy and my temp was at 84. now for the main question u see the thing is they are very very shy i mean super shy.. i know these fish are shy but never thought like this.. i can't even look at them, i left the light off most of the time hoping that would help.. everything esle is fine.. water is good, wc alot. its been about 2 month now and they still are just as shy as the day i got them.. alway hiding behind some plant i put in, dont eat at all until i leave the room, but they do eat tho.. plz help what is wrong here.. oh and the tank is setup in my bedroom..

Eddie
11-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your fishes. Maybe a little more information on your set-up would help others to find out what might be going on.

What type of filtration are you running?
Was the filter cycled?
Are there other fish in the tank?
What type of set-up, gravel planted tank or bare bottom?
What is your water change routine?
Are you using straight tap?
Do you have chlorine or chloramines?
How do you condition your water, which type of dechlor?
What are your water parameters from tap and what are they from the tank?

It sounds like the adding of new fish might have caused the outbreak of disease and maybe the fish are still ill. Are there any symptoms of disease such as; turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds.

And lastly, what medication did you use for the white spot issue?

Eddie

pocketgod763
11-09-2010, 09:03 AM
my tank was not cycle for I have used that turbo thing I got online. Does not need to be cycle when using it. I have been using this with all my other tank with no problem. Water is mix 50/50 tap and ro. ph is 6.5 0 everything esle used internal filter from Tera, it's an bare button tank

Eddie
11-09-2010, 09:12 AM
my tank was not cycle for I have used that turbo thing I got online. Does not need to be cycle when using it. I have been using this with all my other tank with no problem. Water is mix 50/50 tap and ro. ph is 6.5 0 everything esle used internal filter from Tera, it's an bare button tank

Is there a reason for using RO? Also what water conditioner are you using?

Skip
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
what is WC alot?! how much do you pull out.. how often?

roundfishross
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
if your water is very soft(not ebough buffering capacity)it can cause ph crash. I have had a tank get really shy when the ph crashed,fish that would otherwise beg for food are suddenly slaming into the glass to get away.
The ph had droped into the 3's when corrected the fish acted normal again.

hth

pocketgod763
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
thanks for the reply I wc about 25% every other day with water I keep in some 36 gallon trash mix of ro and tap. Reason for using ro is cuz my tap ph is really high in like 8.5 or so. but I don't really know if it's bad or not. I used prime, As for the cure I used API general cure. so is there something I did wrong cuz I feel I probably did? Any info would help thanks

Skip
11-09-2010, 03:24 PM
discus just prefer Clean water first.. before PH.. my ph is about 8.2. they are just fine...

Eddie
11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
thanks for the reply I wc about 25% every other day with water I keep in some 36 gallon trash mix of ro and tap. Reason for using ro is cuz my tap ph is really high in like 8.5 or so. but I don't really know if it's bad or not. I used prime, As for the cure I used API general cure. so is there something I did wrong cuz I feel I probably did? Any info would help thanks

No need to use RO and if you switch to Safe instead of Prime, you will save TONS of money. API General Cure is Metro and Prazi so it really depends on what you meant by white spot. It may have helped.

discus just prefer Clean water first.. before PH.. my ph is about 8.2. they are just fine...

Ditto

AirCapital
11-10-2010, 01:21 AM

what is a turbo thing? you are not talking about a uv are you?

pocketgod763
11-10-2010, 08:26 PM
oh the turbo thing is call FritzZyme TurboStart 700. very good stuff for quick cycle, my cycle in like 3 days for so.. im looking into the ph thing to see if its cuz of that..

DiscusRob
11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
sorry all, don't get mad at me,

Can we say snake oil, no tank will cycle no matter what you add to it in less than 5 days.:(:(:(:(

catgoldfish
11-10-2010, 10:25 PM
oh the turbo thing is call FritzZyme TurboStart 700. very good stuff for quick cycle, my cycle in like 3 days for so.. im looking into the ph thing to see if its cuz of that..

Not sure what this thing is? How in the world does it cycle water in three days? It adds beneficial bacteria? I thought that bacteria takes weeks to happen.

PAR23
11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
sorry all, don't get mad at me,

Can we say snake oil, no tank will cycle no matter what you add to it in less than 5 days.:(:(:(:(

+1

pocketgod763
11-11-2010, 01:49 AM
i dont know guy.. its live beneficial bacteria that shipped via overnight, need to be refrigerated. it work, well for me that is:p. here the site http://www.fritzpet.com/turbo-start-700/ this thing is real good stuff but very pricey. :angel:

pocketgod763
11-11-2010, 01:55 AM
this is what the site say FRITZ-ZYME #7 & #9 & TURBO START™ #700 & #900 contain high concentrations of the naturally occurring nitrifying bacteria. These products greatly reduce the natural cycling time of the aquarium. It may naturally take up to 60 days to convert all the ammonia to a non-toxic form; the addition of FRITZ-ZYME speeds up the cycle by as much as 60%, so that the cycle is done in less than 20 days. TURBO START is a super-concentrated version of the famous FRITZ-ZYME formulas. Incredibly, with the addition of TURBO START, systems can be fully cycled in less than 5 days. These products have also been used after the initial cycle to radically drop lethal ammonia & nitrite levels in record time. TURBO START is habitually used by many national aquariums, aquaculturists, zoos, research facilities, Sea Worlds™, thousands of retail stores and aquarium hobbyists. a buddy of my told me about this cuz he was working part time in sea world when i visit him so i try it and it work..

Skip
11-11-2010, 02:22 AM
enough about the snake oil..

its been 3 days.. what is update on your fish. have you done anything to correct the situation... :alien:

pocketgod763
11-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok so I did an 80% wc with just tap water and not mix with ro. Waited 24 hr, test ph at 8.2 now. I got my fish in my 10 gallon and they are out everywhere, I then slowly put them in my tank. they seem to be out swimming more now so I guess is the ph?

Skip
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
thats all you can do.. just give them good clean water.. keep us updated..

PAR23
11-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok so I did an 80% wc with just tap water and not mix with ro. Waited 24 hr, test ph at 8.2 now. I got my fish in my 10 gallon and they are out everywhere, I then slowly put them in my tank. they seem to be out swimming more now so I guess is the ph?

Glad to hear they are better......I would still recommend checking your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates levels.:)

DiscusRob
11-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Glad to hear they are better......I would still recommend checking your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates levels.:)

+1, that snake oil did not and will not provide a safe stable env. for any fish