PDA

View Full Version : save eggs

koifish
11-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm new member and new in discus hobby . I have a pair discus laying eggs for couple times but the parents fish ate their eggs. How do I stop them from eating their eggs. I want the parents fish raise the babies.

Dudley Eirich
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I have formed a barrier out of plastic mesh used for covering rain gutters to prevent them from clogging with leaves. It has holes about 3/8" inch square (1 square cm). It is big enough for the parents to see the eggs well, but not allow them to get close enough to eat them. The plastic can be shaped and peices sewn together to cover just about any shape of breeding substrate. The shape you will need will depend a bit upon the type of substrate they are laying eggs upon. Is it a breeding cone, a clay pot, a slate, a PVC pipe? I found that once the eggs got to the wriggler stage, the parents were much less likely to eat them.

PAR23
11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm new member and new in discus hobby . I have a pair discus laying eggs for couple times but the parents fish ate their eggs. How do I stop them from eating their eggs. I want the parents fish raise the babies.

Are they a young pair? Let them work it out. They will get it right. Have patience.;)