PDA

View Full Version : WCs, Everyone's favorite subject.

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
OK Guys, I am getting my 100 gallon ready for some of Dale's fry come end of November. It is almost BB and has some DW. I will be creating a divider out of egg crate to confine them to one end of the tank so they do not swim their little hearts out.

So question is how often and what percentage of water should I change. There will be 10 fry at 2 inches. Other tank buddies are a handful of rummy nose, cardinals and three cories.

The tank is a 100 gallon oceanic with a 15 gallon sump. It has been suggested to do a 75% WC every third day. I can do a 100% WC every other day. I do have to aerate my water and add some RO to reduce my GH.

I know a smaller tank is recommended for fry growout by this is what I have. Thanks in advance.

Altum Nut
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Congrats and hope they come in nice and healthy.
I myself am hoping to get the Solomon's fry from Dale in January.
The plan to get a smaller grow out tank would have been preferred but you have to use what you have on hand.
I would diffidently go with the 100% every other day because you still have 100g tank with other fish even though you have the divider.
I hope you have a large water storage barrel or other.

Good luck with them Patricia.
...Ralph

Eddie
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
OK Guys, I am getting my 100 gallon ready for some of Dale's fry come end of November. It is almost BB and has some DW. I will be creating a divider out of egg crate to confine them to one end of the tank so they do not swim their little hearts out.

So question is how often and what percentage of water should I change. There will be 10 fry at 2 inches. Other tank buddies are a handful of rummy nose, cardinals and three cories.

The tank is a 100 gallon oceanic with a 15 gallon sump. It has been suggested to do a 75% WC every third day. I can do a 100% WC every other day. I do have to aerate my water and add some RO to reduce my GH.

I know a smaller tank is recommended for fry growout by this is what I have. Thanks in advance.

Thats a pretty big tank for the little ones but the divider will help. Just be sure to wipe down and siphon the side that the babies are on. You could probably get away with 50% every third day but don't let too much collect on the babies side. Don't reduce your GH, your fish will grow stronger/healthier in higher GH water.

Eddie

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Eddie, Dale wants the GH to be 150 or below. GH out of tap is 179 so I'm not lowering it by much.

Eddie
11-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Eddie, Dale wants the GH to be 150 or below. GH out of tap is 179 so I'm not lowering it by much.

Alright, if the breeder recommends that. 150 to 179 is not that big of a difference. Keep us posted on their growth. ;)

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks Eddie, will do.

Jhhnn
11-09-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't have enough experience to say for sure, but I'm not really sure that partitioning is necessary or even desirable, other than for the convenience of the keeper. It might help them in finding food, although no discus I've ever owned have had any trouble doing that... Having a large volume of water is definitely beneficial all the way around, however. Water quality deteriorates much more slowly, so mass quantities of food can be provided w/o negative consequences if siphoning and water changing keep pace.

As I understand it, young fish are more sensitive to changes in pH and temperature, so making very large water changes needs to be mindful of that. The 4" fish I've obtained from Kenny have thrived on observing the 1 discus per 10 gallons rule of thumb, and daily 1/2 to 2/3 changes with conditioned, aged, and aerated water, so I suspect smaller fish would as well. The pH never changes enough to matter, and leaving a substantial amount of tank water behind evens out any temperature difference, although I do my best to keep it close. Water quality hasn't limited feeding at all.

Your small charges will need increasingly large quantities of food if they're to grow out well, surprisingly large quantities once they get to be 4" and larger...

My best grow out results so far have come in a converted reef tank w/ wet/dry trickle filter. The discus are uniformly quite large, and have never shown the slightest indication of illness of any kind...

I'm contemplating some of Dale's Solomons, myself, maybe some of the solomon X inanu... well, that's if Kenny doesn't get my money first, coming up with something I just can't resist... he has a way of doing that...

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Congrats and hope they come in nice and healthy.
I myself am hoping to get the Solomon's fry from Dale in January.
The plan to get a smaller grow out tank would have been preferred but you have to use what you have on hand.
I would diffidently go with the 100% every other day because you still have 100g tank with other fish even though you have the divider.
I hope you have a large water storage barrel or other.

Good luck with them Patricia.
...Ralph

Hey Ralph, I getting the Japura RSG. I saw the parents and was hooked. I have done a lot of looking. Those Solomons will be some serious eye candy. Have fun with those. I will be using a 100 gallon horse rubber made trough for water storage. I have an unused one and have moved it to a side room beside the garage. Will be using a mag drive 7 to push the water to the tank and a python to drain the tank so I'm set. BTW I generally go by Pat for informal communications.

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Thats a pretty big tank for the little ones but the divider will help. Just be sure to wipe down and siphon the side that the babies are on. You could probably get away with 50% every third day but don't let too much collect on the babies side. Don't reduce your GH, your fish will grow stronger/healthier in higher GH water.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, I am planning on siphoning and wiping down a couple times a day. Also seems like a good idea to have two dividers so a clean one can be placed in the tank and the other can be pulled out and cleaned.

Eddie
11-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks Eddie, I am planning on siphoning and wiping down a couple times a day. Also seems like a good idea to have two dividers so a clean one can be placed in the tank and the other can be pulled out and cleaned.

Sounds like a plan! If the tank is too large, small juveniles will not feel secure, its a fact. The partition will make this work. Once they grow out some, easy to just scoot the divider down and eventually remove it. All the best with everything. ;)

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't have enough experience to say for sure, but I'm not really sure that partitioning is necessary or even desirable, other than for the convenience of the keeper. It might help them in finding food, although no discus I've ever owned have had any trouble doing that... Having a large volume of water is definitely beneficial all the way around, however. Water quality deteriorates much more slowly, so mass quantities of food can be provided w/o negative consequences if siphoning and water changing keep pace.

As I understand it, young fish are more sensitive to changes in pH and temperature, so making very large water changes needs to be mindful of that. The 4" fish I've obtained from Kenny have thrived on observing the 1 discus per 10 gallons rule of thumb, and daily 1/2 to 2/3 changes with conditioned, aged, and aerated water, so I suspect smaller fish would as well. The pH never changes enough to matter, and leaving a substantial amount of tank water behind evens out any temperature difference, although I do my best to keep it close. Water quality hasn't limited feeding at all.

Your small charges will need increasingly large quantities of food if they're to grow out well, surprisingly large quantities once they get to be 4" and larger...

My best grow out results so far have come in a converted reef tank w/ wet/dry trickle filter. The discus are uniformly quite large, and have never shown the slightest indication of illness of any kind...

I'm contemplating some of Dale's Solomons, myself, maybe some of the solomon X inanu... well, that's if Kenny doesn't get my money first, coming up with something I just can't resist... he has a way of doing that...

Thanks Jhhnn, It was been recommended by several folks that a smaller area is better for the little ones so they did not use all their energy swimming the entire tank.

This tank is also a reef tank. It has two overflows with a 15 gallon wet/dry. I have to aerate my water for 12 hours to handle the ph swing from 7.4 to 8.2. I also ensure the temp between the tank and new water is not more than 2 degrees difference.

Tough choice between Dale and Kenny. I have drooled over Kenny's fish also. :D

tbone83
11-21-2010, 07:14 AM
look up grow out tank tech
and u will see the lighjt

ShinShin
11-21-2010, 02:04 PM
If you can do 100% everyother day, do it.