PDA

View Full Version : Messy messy messy!!

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Well if you haven't had the pleasure of accidentally busting a tank full of water and fish yet...let me forewarn you....its not fun..:(:mad::mad::mad: In my case 45 gals of water, 20 angel fish, 4 plecos, and substrate pretty much cover the basement floor when you accidentally put a 2 X 4 straight thru it! Amazes me how fast a tank goes from 45 gallons to 0 gals with gravity on its side and a 12 " diameter hole.:(

I'm just glad my fishroom is an unfinished basement...if it had been an upstairs tank...i'd be in the neighbors doghouse as we don't have one.

Nothing like chasing down fish after the proverbial flood.

-al

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60766&d=1289372571

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60767&d=1289372571

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60768&d=1289372571

aix1
11-10-2010, 03:08 AM
That does not look like fun at all... Did the fish survive?

hedut
11-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Could you share how could end like that? Sorry for your loss

2075turner
11-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Ouch Al

Hope all your fishies are okay.

patrick richard
11-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Buddy,

You did one heck of a job. If you just wanted a bigger tank, there's better ways to go about it. I do feel sorry for you, I remember when I forgot to shut off the fill valve to my storage tank. I could have just let the fish swim around on the floor. I forund out that I sealed up the fishroom preety well. I had over 4" of water in the room. I guess your just going to have to put one of your spare tanks in its spot.

Patrick

DerekFF
11-10-2010, 03:23 AM
In light of this mess Al, I was wondering if you ever have, or if you havnt, could you post some pics of your fish room? Ill probly never make it out to your house for a meeting, like many of us would wish to, but could you show us your operation? Or if youve done this already on the forum could you give me a link to where i can see them? Thanks!

m.ingram
11-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Sorry Al but im glad its you not me as if that happened to me there would be alot of cheap fish and accsessories for sale as my better half wouldnt let me set up again after that. Hope all your fish are ok .

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Its all good everyone... all fishes recovered... and I just finished replacing the tank...I have to re-seal a 45 for the space but for now a 30 long will do....

Hendri..long story but I was doing some work and was using the 2x4 to hold up some wood.....it didn't hold.:) and went crashing into the tank near it. I should have seen it coming but its late and I was multi-tasking again.

In light of this mess Al, I was wondering if you ever have, or if you havnt, could you post some pics of your fish room? Ill probly never make it out to your house for a meeting, like many of us would wish to, but could you show us your operation? Or if youve done this already on the forum could you give me a link to where i can see them? Thanks!
Derek, I've posted many photos over the years here... but truthfully theres not much to see....I don't really have an operation here...I run about 2500 gals of water....nothing fancy as far as a hatchery... Tanks, water, fish...no drilled plumbing and mechanical wonders ...no central systems... just tanks and tanks everywhere I can fit them....filled with everything from discus to other cichlids and to reptiles and amphibians...

I guess if you want to be bored..you can read my spotlight here...
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60206

and visit my website... Ctdiscus.com

and lastly go thru the Northeast discus assocation threads... many have been here...

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76958&page=9

hth,
al

Eddie
11-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Ouch, that had to suck Al. Sorry to hear about it. Glad the fishes recovered and glad to hear that you didn't get hurt either.

Take care,

Eddie

Rod
11-10-2010, 07:06 AM
I've come close a few times, but never quite that bad..lol. Glad the fishes are ok. :)

Thats the problem with gravity, it sucks. :D

Take care mate

Rod

mmorris
11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Ahhhhh, so that's why the carpenter, coming tomorrow to build my racks, wants me to move some of the tanks. :p

Jennie
11-10-2010, 08:55 AM
ouch Al! Glad the fish are all ok

Tofe
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Buddy, it is 2:00am in the morning, you and the fish should be sleeping :D:D

Glad to hear you recovered quickly, the water will dry up quickly just throw a few more logs on the fire;)

Brian

John_Nicholson
11-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Rookie...

-john

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Buddy, it is 2:00am in the morning, you and the fish should be sleeping :D:D

Glad to hear you recovered quickly, the water will dry up quickly just throw a few more logs on the fire;)

BrianYep... I should have been.....at least that was the plan...until I broke the tank at around 12:30 am... didn't get to sleep until 3:30 LOl... and back up at 6:30am.... getting harder and harder to do that!

-al

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Rookie...

-john

Hardly Bud..;). I never said it was the first tank I totaled !:) just the most recent:D thats why I have a backroom with spares.

-al

ashaysathe
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I thought only people makes mistakes not Al. That seems like a huge deal to redo. WOW.. Good Luck buddy and may the force be with you.

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I thought only people makes mistakes not Al. That seems like a huge deal to redo. WOW.. Good Luck buddy and may the force be with you.

Ashay, If making mistakes is human...I've no doubt that I'm one.:) and on that tank...no way I am fixing it...its out for the garbage..I have a spare 45 g I have been meaning to re-seal... It just moved up on the to-do list a few.

-al

dean9922
11-10-2010, 10:21 AM
glad your fish were ok and that you have a spare tank to house them.
I'm sure it was a real mess...take care

seanyuki
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Al.....glad you have cleaned up the mess in the basement.....imagine it's only a small tank luckily not a 210 gallons tank or you'll be still be cleaning up.

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi Al.....glad you have cleaned up the mess in the basement.....imagine it's only a small tank luckily not a 210 gallons tank or you'll be still be cleaning up.

If it was a 210 gallon.....Theres a good chance I wouldn't be `typing this right now.:) I was only a few feet from the tank! If it was a 210 I would have probably had it higher up... 8lbs a gallon X210....roughly `1600 lbs force and broken glass? Now thats scary!

-al

PAR23
11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Derek, I've posted many photos over the years here... but truthfully theres not much to see....I don't really have an operation here...I run about 2500 gals of water....nothing fancy as far as a hatchery... Tanks, water, fish...no drilled plumbing and mechanical wonders ...no central systems... just tanks and tanks everywhere I can fit them....filled with everything from discus to other cichlids and to reptiles and amphibians...

I guess if you want to be bored..you can read my spotlight here...
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60206

and visit my website... Ctdiscus.com

and lastly go thru the Northeast discus assocation threads... many have been here...

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76958&page=9

hth,
al

Glad that you are alright Al. Derek, Al is being modest. I have seen his set up.....it works and he has some gorgeous fish including discus....Would love to have his fish room..:D

Tito
11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
The glass looks terrible. Glad everone made it alright. Just a good reminder to us that our tanks are made out of glass!

Second Hand Pat
11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Al, glad all the fish made it. If this had to happen an unfinished basement floor is the best place to happen.

Ronald
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Ahh Memories hihi,

I know how you feel Al.
About 20 years ago a 500 liter tank burst on me. The front glass just poped out. I was living in Germany in a 1st floor appartment above the basement.
As you said there is nothing like chasing fish on the floor.
Well nothing besides a :mad: Wife hihi

Dutch dude
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi Al,...sorry to hear abouth the swimming pool in your basement.

When I looked at the pictures and also one of the links I came across this beatifull pair of wild looking discus. Are they 100% wild, a cross, F1??? What are they Al? I defenately like those and when watching the picture I start drooling!!!

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29006&d=1193699252

brewmaster15
11-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi Al,...sorry to hear abouth the swimming pool in your basement.

When I looked at the pictures and also one of the links I came across this beatifull pair of wild looking discus. Are they 100% wild, a cross, F1??? What are they Al? I defenately like those and when watching the picture I start drooling!!!

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29006&d=1193699252

wild blue male (solid) X domestic red turq..

I have some adults f1's from that cross here....I'll take some pics when I get a chance Ruurd... unfortunately, I no longer have the parents.

-al

April
11-10-2010, 03:26 PM
geez..well i broke a nice 60 gallon tank yesterday moving it..went off a step with a dolly..and millions of small pieces..all over the sidewalk and road..at least no fish in it.
a waste though.
im amazed that hasnt happend to me all the moving about i do in the shop.

Dutch dude
11-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi Al,

I expected the red turq was a cross wild X red/turq and imo that fish does already have a wild look. I defenately like to see pics of their offspring!

Take care,

Ruurd

Skip
11-10-2010, 03:52 PM
AL.. WOW! thats nuts.. thank goodness they didn't all fall over like dominos! :antlers:

Justice
11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Shame on you! :D

Glad the fish made it :)

discusdaves
11-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Dang man, that one hurts!!! Well allways look at the bright side, at least its only a 40! I had a perfect record, never broken a tank, but I discovered that had changed, somehow, i guess in moving, my custom 300 gallon glass gages tank aquaried a fracture in the front pane!!!! No fun, hope i can repair it....