PDA

View Full Version : Do two males ever pair off?

dpete9
11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone.
I have been a member on this site for a long time now. I got out of the hobby for a few years and now I'm back.
My question is: Has anyone ever heard of two males pairing off?
I have a young pair (16 months) that paired off about 3 months ago, I decided to keep them out of all the others because I liked the coloration of one of them. well anyways for three months now they have been pecking constantly and doing the spawning run over their cone, but no eggs are ever laid (I watch pretty closely) does anyone have any thoughts?

John_Nicholson
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I have seen it happen twice. Both times the sex of the fish was confirmed.

-john

joshuajames
11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
yes they do. i have a male pair that clean the cone together and chase the other fish off all the time. they seem happy together.they wont have anything to do with the females in the tank.i added the females to the tank in hopes to getting a breeding pair but no interest has been shown.they dont make passes on the cone just cleaning it all the time and guarding it.maybe they will switch teams one of these days.or it may be a territory type thing the only thing in the tank is a cone and sponge filters.

Justice
11-11-2010, 02:42 PM
yes they do. i have a male pair that clean the cone together and chase the other fish off all the time. they seem happy together.they wont have anything to do with the females in the tank.i added the females to the tank in hopes to getting a breeding pair but no interest has been shown.they dont make passes on the cone just cleaning it all the time and guarding it.maybe they will switch teams one of these days.or it may be a territory type thing the only thing in the tank is a cone and sponge filters. +1 :(

John_Nicholson
11-11-2010, 02:44 PM
The times that I have seen it they would spawn with females if available.

-john

nc0gnet0
11-11-2010, 07:48 PM
On a somewhat related matter.........

Has anyone ever used a pair of females that paired off as foster parents? Was it succesful?

dpete9
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
How hard is it going to be to introduce a new female in with them?

dpete9
11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
oh p.s. if I had ten posts yet I could show pics of both of them and see if anyone could help me sex them.

snowflake311
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
As far as foster parents go. The only way I could see it work is if the fish are tending to their own fry and you then add more fry the parents will care for the new fry added. As far as adding eggs to a pair I think they would be lunch. Unless the pair is tending to eggs they have and you then add other eggs with a net so they can not eat them. When the eggs hatch you would have to just hope instinct kicks in.

nc0gnet0
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
As far as foster parents go. The only way I could see it work is if the fish are tending to their own fry and you then add more fry the parents will care for the new fry added. As far as adding eggs to a pair I think they would be lunch. Unless the pair is tending to eggs they have and you then add other eggs with a net so they can not eat them. When the eggs hatch you would have to just hope instinct kicks in.

Fostering is done all the time, but I don't know if it has ever been tried with a pair of females...........

vera
11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
I had two males formed pair and shaking like hell and cleaning the spot , they had one female with them in the tank and they kept fighting and bullying her not letting her near their "spawning " spot , so she was in the corner of 300 L planted all the time

dpete9
11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I had two males formed pair and shaking like hell and cleaning the spot , they had one female with them in the tank and they kept fighting and bullying her not letting her near their "spawning " spot , so she was in the corner of 300 L planted all the time
Well that sucks. I really want the one of them to breed he/she is my favorite.
Would it be best to split them up and try to introduce proven females with them? If so, how much longer should I wait (without eggs) before I do this?

vera
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Well that sucks. I really want the one of them to breed he/she is my favorite.
Would it be best to split them up and try to introduce proven females with them? If so, how much longer should I wait (without eggs) before I do this?

if they already 16 months old and 3 months as a pair and making empty passes ..well i would think they r males just my opinion , i think it would work if u separate them and put one of them with proven female

John_Nicholson
11-16-2010, 10:08 AM
if they already 16 months old and 3 months as a pair and making empty passes ..well i would think they r males just my opinion , i think it would work if u separate them and put one of them with proven female

I would.

-john