PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a new aquarium

inmisawa
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone. I've been looking around Southern California for an aquarium and I found a guy that essentially does custom jobs. Tank size aside (which I still can't decide on), I'm working with him on choosing the type of aquarium and I noticed that he offers starphire glass, which I have read provides better clarity. Does anyone else know anything about it or have any advice on starphire glass? Thanks.

Jennie
11-11-2010, 10:11 PM
get the sapphire glass!:)
Hi everyone. I've been looking around Southern California for an aquarium and I found a guy that essentially does custom jobs. Tank size aside (which I still can't decide on), I'm working with him on choosing the type of aquarium and I noticed that he offers starphire glass, which I have read provides better clarity. Does anyone else know anything about it or have any advice on starphire glass? Thanks.

Jhhnn
11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Starphire glass supposedly gives more accurate color transmission, not clarity. Regular plate and tempered glass have a slight bluish or greenish tinge, whereas starphire supposedly has less...

If you're having a custom job, the maker should be able to offer sample viewing with both so you can make a more informed decision. The glass types can be mixed, as well, with starphire only on the front, for example.

Altum Nut
11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
A Starphire glass tank is about double the price but well worth every cent.
You can keep the price down by just getting the front and sides Starfire glass and the back and bottom just regular glass. The end front face corners are seemless and your right about the clarity.
You won't be disappointed if done properly.
Good luck,

...Ralph