PDA

View Full Version : Is meat in the Discus diet really needed?

Crockett
11-11-2010, 07:23 PM

I wrote very extensively about what discus eat in nature and have give a breakdown from what I found in their stomaches for a number of years of research. And one must assume from what they eat in nature, that that is the best for them - although during the dry period they have little choose (and that is why many eat detritus than - as you can see on the results. But discus in nature are almost always very strong and much more resistance than any tank breed discus, that also shows that they must have (find) the right food. Same as your gorilla example (or Pandas, or Lemures, or Coalas, etc.) In addition, as you can see, I have shwon the nutrition in nature from from each one of the three species, and that is different in each one of them. That is (as with your gorilla) why they live where they live, in that particular habitat. With the food available in that kind of water-parameter, as each one of the three is restricted to one kind of water - as shown as well.

You are right in saying that they can eat meat, but they won't get the same benefits. What they eat most in nature you can see and their (wilds) digestive track is definitely not set up more to eat large amounts of meat...

About the nutrional practice in captivity comes a lot in my volume II, hopefully soon (is a monster as volume I...).

All the best and Merry Christmas

Heiko

In regards to the above posted by Heiko Bleher, I wanted to ask that when growing out F1’s from wild parents would it be better to feed them with the natural diet that Heiko refers to in the above. Keeping in mind that the digestive track on these little ones must be very similar to their wild parents. Now I’m not saying this is a fact, just a question, since I have been thinking and doing some reading, as I plan on purchasing some Solomon’s and Cuipeua babies from Dale once they are available again. I realize that the trend currently is to feed wild juvenile F1’s like you would if they were domestics (i.e. with beef heart / seafood mix, flakes etc). But having read what Heiko says about what is best for wilds has got me thinking. All this hinges on the availability of what he is referring that the Discus are eating in the wild. Also I have not read Heiko’s book, so I must do that to get the full story. Just posted this because I thought it was interesting and had me thinking that maybe a natural diet based on what wilds consumed in their natural habitat could boost / enhance growth and be better for the Discus overall.

I also had a question on the Solomon’s; I realize they have the genes to reach massive dinner plate sizes like 8.5 inches. However with the typical beef heart mix and other diets that are popular today, would F1 Solomon’s offspring grow to their max potential size in a tank? Has anyone ever grown a F1 Solomon from a fry to an adult dinner plate size? These are all just questions that came to my mind after reading Heiko’s post above. I know that we all do our water changes when we grow out our fish and are feeding them around the clock, but maybe the missing link to getting them to reach dinner plate size, or get them larger than the average 5 to 6inches, is to mimick the wild diet as closely as possibly. And since Heiko has apparently done the research as to what Wilds are eating which makes them stronger, hardier etc, why hasn’t this diet been applied more often today. I have to read Heiko’s book, maybe I’m taking this way out of context, maybe what wild Discus are consuming is not even readily available to purchase.

Then again maybe this method has been applied and hasn’t produced positive results. Not sure, I’m fairly new to discus, so I may just be bringing up an issue that’s outdated. Then again in the wild, Discus have more room for them to swim and grow to their potential. Maybe that’s the missing link.

Go light on me guys this is my first thread : ) while I ‘m no rookie, I‘m fairly new to the game : )

Dave

DonMD
11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I think that trial and error have shown what works best for feeding tank raised discus. As Heiko suggests that wild fish are heartier than tank bred fish, there may be other considerations than food. Perhaps millions of gallons of fresh water daily? Untergasser also points this out, that all tank fish live in artificial environments, no matter how much water you change. I don't think it's just a matter of diet.

Also, how would you ever mimic the type of diet that wilds eat? I think you answered your own question: what wilds eat is not commercially available. So, just find what your fish do best with, and enjoy! Lots of recipes here on SIMPLY! ! !:p

Eddie
11-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I also don't think there are any people sprinkling tetra bits or frozen/freeze dried foods over there in the amazon. Mimicking their diet could be beneficial but definitely not a requirement, no matter who says it is. LOL

Jennie
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing live insects is on the diet??

Eddie
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm guessing live insects is on the diet??

Among other things, even rocks when food is scarce.

Jennie
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
rocks?? serious?? not seeing the protein in that one?

Eddie
11-12-2010, 10:46 PM
rocks?? serious?? not seeing the protein in that one?

Yeah, its generally not advised but a fish has to do what a fish has to do. :o LOL

goodoo
11-13-2010, 08:58 AM
has anyone seen a wild leopard. Compare it to one in a zoo. No comparison. Size or spirit wise. Captivity is evil . I feel bad sometimes when I look at my fish, And even worse when I look at my budgie.

Tito
11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Many of you are expressing something I've beleived in since keeping pets.

If they're in my home in a cage or tank - then I have done the evil of keeping a creature in an artificial environment. At that point - food, decoration, etc etc is all my preference and not the fish or the animal. But I love creatures and I keep them - try to do the best for them within reason.

Now for controversy! It's also why I scoff at the purist!

Eddie
11-14-2010, 06:18 AM
has anyone seen a wild leopard. Compare it to one in a zoo. No comparison. Size or spirit wise. Captivity is evil . I feel bad sometimes when I look at my fish, And even worse when I look at my budgie.

Nope, never seen a leopard in the wild but I've seen a few tigers. :D

MSD
11-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Seriously, how do you know what the spirit of any animal, in the wild or captivity is? We are projecting our feeling onto animals, they are under less stress then in the wild for sure. Happiness is a human emotion, animals are survival driven. Thats why they don't want yo to feed the bears in the wild, they will stop hunting and depend on the human givers. They have a choice but pick the easy road, like we do too. :)

keef
11-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Lol Eddie - I had a scary encounter with a wild Couger the other day. ;)

keef
11-15-2010, 03:27 AM
But seriously, it's all about compromise, we all keep fish here so all we can do is our best for them. Sure, animals have evolved over millions of years to fit their environment (and their specific niche within it), and the best we can do is to try to mimic that environment as accurately we can. Unfortunately aspects such as the wild Discus diet are currently out of our capabilities to fully replicate, but this is largely why forums like this exist: To help each other via trial and error until we find methods of raising our beloved pets that are as analogous to their specific habitats as possible. In other words, the fact you are seeking out advanced information here on SD means you're a pretty responsible Discus owner, so enjoy keeping Discus and don't beat yourself up about it :)

brewmaster15
11-15-2010, 08:06 AM
But seriously, it's all about compromise, we all keep fish here so all we can do is our best for them. Sure, animals have evolved over millions of years to fit their environment (and their specific niche within it), and the best we can do is to try to mimic that environment as accurately we can. Unfortunately aspects such as the wild Discus diet are currently out of our capabilities to fully replicate, but this is largely why forums like this exist: To help each other via trial and error until we find methods of raising our beloved pets that are as analogous to their specific habitats as possible. In other words, the fact you are seeking out advanced information here on SD means you're a pretty responsible Discus owner, so enjoy keeping Discus and don't beat yourself up about it :) well said...and I agree 100%.

-al

Tito
11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Is processed and fast food a part of OUR natural diet?