PDA

View Full Version : Discus looking very thin

Deadhead
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I have been a long time reader of simply discus, but this is my first post, I am looking for some advice. I have 6 discus in a partially planted 75 with some lemon tetras and a couple of plecos. I change water 2-3 times weekly, 80%. They are fed a mixed diet of prime reef flake, beefheart, bloodworms, and brine shrimp.

The problem I am running in to is that one of them has become thinner and thinner over the last month or so. He has always been a picky eater, ignoring the flake and shrimp, but he does eat the beefheart and bloodworm. I am getting very worried now as he is getting so thin his stomach looks a bit sunk in. He is still eating the beefheart and bloodworms. I hope there is still something I can do. I have been feeding some medicated de-worming flake for the last week, but he does not seem interested in eating it. I do have another tank I could move him to. and have a friend who has alot of other medications I can get access to, just not sure where to start treatment.

If anyone has any ideas on how I should treat this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(forgot to say, most of these are close to adult fish, the one in question is about a 4 inch fish.)

Jennie
11-12-2010, 11:03 AM
have they been dewormed, just saw that yes.. need to post disease Questionaire

Deadhead
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Did not see disease questionnaire, I will attempt to answer as many of the questions as possible.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Problem explained above, discus eating some but getting very thin

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Very thin, stomach seems just a bit sunk in.
Picky eater, only really likes beefheart

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tried deworming flake, every other day for a week+ the rest of the discus will eat it but not him.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
75 gallon, 8 months, mostly adults, 6 discus 3 plecos and some tetras

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

2-3 times weekly, 80% sand gravel mix with plants, water is not aged

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84___

- ph ____7.9_

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water __+__
I cannot find the color card for the rest of my test kit, will attempt to find it later today after I get some sleep, but all of the other fish in the tank are doing fine.
7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Added a few anubias about 2 months ago, added one more pleco couple of days ago, problem was occuring before he was added.

Sorry I didnt put this in original post, next time I will know.

Jennie
11-12-2010, 11:24 AM
yeah, will need rest of readings. my guess is internal parasites but Eddie will be around later to give best advice.. he'll want those readings

Eddie
11-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes, definitely de-worm the whole group. Angel Plus de-worming flakes work great and since your fish take flakes already, you are good to go.

Deadhead
11-12-2010, 11:42 PM
The issue I am running in to there is that the thin one will not eat the flake. I am not sure how to make sure he gets de-wormed?

brewmaster15
11-12-2010, 11:56 PM
The issue I am running in to there is that the thin one will not eat the flake. I am not sure how to make sure he gets de-wormed?

For that one you'll need to use a dewormer thats in the water...Levamisole is a good one....You can get it from David Rose, as vermisol

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=83123

hth,
al

m.ingram
11-12-2010, 11:58 PM
I would worm with Levamisole orflubendazole as you add either of these to the water .