PDA

View Full Version : ? about quarantine tanks

NicotineRush
11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
This is probably a more general fish keeping question as opposed to Discus specific, although it applies either way.

I understand the need for quarantine, but do you all keep a tank setup/cycled/ready at all times?

Thanks
Tom

DiscusLoverJeff
11-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I only setup a quarantine tank a week or so before I get new fish just so I have time to have the proper water conditions. I will also take an established sponge filter from one of my tanks to get the biological functioning going. You want to make sure your water parameters are close to the water they are in ie; temp, ph, tds, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite. This way if you are buying fish, then they have an established home.

If on the other hand you are treating sick fish, then possibly using some of their tank water in a q-tank with new water and then acclimating the fish to it like anything else is a good idea if you don't have the time to have an established tank running already.

But remember, it depends on the sickness whether or not to use the tank water they would currently be in.

Just acclimate them to their new home before putting them in as you know.

dbfzurowski
11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey,
Pretty much what he^^ said.

NicotineRush
11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I only setup a quarantine tank a week or so before I get new fish just so I have time to have the proper water conditions. I will also take an established sponge filter from one of my tanks to get the biological functioning going. You want to make sure your water parameters are close to the water they are in ie; temp, ph, tds, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite. This way if you are buying fish, then they have an established home.

If on the other hand you are treating sick fish, then possibly using some of their tank water in a q-tank with new water and then acclimating the fish to it like anything else is a good idea if you don't have the time to have an established tank running already.

But remember, it depends on the sickness whether or not to use the tank water they would currently be in.

Just acclimate them to their new home before putting them in as you know.

Thanks. I do have the time/space ect... to have a tank established but that would mean I'd need to have minimal inhabitants in it to keep the cycle going. Yes?

DiscusLoverJeff
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Not if you use an established sponge from a different tank. It would help the biological system get going.

Remember though, if this is a discus tank that you are pulling the fish from for example, they should be use to good clean water already if you keep up on the water changes. So establishing a tank would be easier. If it is a new tank, same principal but as mentioned, just start the cycling sooner.

Skip
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks. I do have the time/space ect... to have a tank established but that would mean I'd need to have minimal inhabitants in it to keep the cycle going. Yes?

no.. QT means.. QT. no other fish in there.. imho, even before..

what you do. is have HYDROSPONGE in a in established tank.. going.. so when you set up the other tank..you drop in the sponge AND the new fish! BAMMMM!!! bio filter was already established.. tank ready to go! extra hydrofilters in the tanks ROCK!! incase you want to expanded to another tank. or QT.. works great

AirCapital
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
if you you need a cycled sponge asap for a qt tank angelsplus sells cycled sponges from his hatchery on his site for a few bucks more and once they come to you in the mail you just place them in the new tank let it set for a day and test your parameters and if all is ok you add the fish

PAR23
11-12-2010, 09:09 PM

I always have extra sponge filters running in my established tanks so in a crunch I can just take one out and use it.;)

RudeDogg1
11-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Would this work, if the internal filter your going to use for qt has a thing in the middle of the sponge for putting carbon ect in. If I put in mature substrate pro this would mature the sponge wouldn't it?

Eddie
11-13-2010, 07:56 AM
I have plenty of tanks available for QT/Hospital. Unless you are using seeded sponged from a fishless cycled tank, using media from an existing tank pretty much negates the whole QT process. Hospital tanks need no filtration at all, purely maintained by water changes. I use an airstone and a heater in my hospital tanks.

Ed13
11-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I have plenty of tanks available for QT/Hospital. Unless you are using seeded sponged from a fishless cycled tank, using media from an existing tank pretty much negates the whole QT process. Hospital tanks need no filtration at all, purely maintained by water changes. I use an airstone and a heater in my hospital tanks.
It's like I wrote this myself...though a bit more eloquent:p!!!! Yeah, this is what I do:)

NicotineRush
11-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks folks. I guess my original thinking was..... I'm at the local fish store and come across a 'must have'. Qt now becomes a 'must do', and since the new arrival will be in qt for quite some time, it seems like a good idea to have a setup ready to go.

Wasn't sure how to proceed until the excellent ideas above.

Thanks again,
Tom

rly
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Sorry a bit slow here but you are saying qt/hospital you approach in the same manner ie no flter just water changes from good water source,you do not even establish bio filter.
thanks
Ron

Eddie
11-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry a bit slow here but you are saying qt/hospital you approach in the same manner ie no flter just water changes from good water source,you do not even establish bio filter.
thanks
Ron

In a QT tank, I use a sponge seeded from a fishless cycle. In a hospital, I have no filtration.

Jhhnn
11-13-2010, 11:22 AM
There are 2 schools of thought. Both address the issue of keeping new arrivals away from existing stock until the hobbyist can reasonably determine that new arrivals haven't brought any nasties with them. Using sponge filters from existing tanks does that, while using fishless cycle seeded sponges attempts to protect new arrivals from pathogens that existing stock might harbor, as well.

In an environment with existing aquaria, even the bacteria inhabiting filters established using a fishless cycle likely come from the existing tanks via the atmosphere. I'm breathing the same bacteria as my fish sitting here in my study. Using a fishless cycle definitely inhibits transfer of meta- parasites like flukes and probably protozoans as well. It's the safest bet.

Having said that, I confess to using seeded sponges from my known healthy tanks with new arrivals in quarantine.

tbone83
11-21-2010, 07:09 AM
if your only got one fish then just an air stone and freq w/c every couple of days

sfdiscus
01-19-2011, 12:26 AM
I am planning for wild discus delivery. How small can the QT tank be?

Keith Perkins
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
I use a 10, which is suitable for a single adult discus for QT or a hospital tank. It's hard to answer your question sfdiscus without knowing how many and what size discus your getting. You don't have to follow the 10 gallon rule for a short term QT, but you have to be super vigilant about the water changes if your crowding the tank at all.