PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Newbie Thread

Earthsiege
11-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Good morning everyone.

I found this site through a posting on Craigslist and have been reading anything I can get my hands on, but have yet to figure out how to best work with my situation.

So, the story goes that I had found a breeder on Craigslist that I had seen advertising discus for a couple months. Having never had the time to care for them until now, I thought I would try my hand at it. While I must say I'm excited, I'm a little nervous that the three I have are in a bad situation.

I've got three roughly nickel-sized discus fry that I'm trying to raise in my 100g community tank. I know, I really should have them by themselves until they're bigger, and that was the original plan. What I didn't realize was that the 10g I was going to keep them in for a little while, it's filter stopped working sometime during the week before I got them and the ammonia was sky-high. I couldn't use my 5g either, as that filter had stopped working the weekend before. So I was left with using my 100g. I happened to have a net breeder from my earlier fish-keeping days, so they're currently in that.

Anyways, on to the real issue. So, they're in this net breeder, surrounded by other fish and plants, under my 4x54w T5HO light fixture, and I can't help but feel bad for the little guys. I had thought about putting netting over the top of the breeder and sticking it in a darker corner, but it would make for very difficult feeding, which at this stage happens quite frequently.

What would you guys recommend I should do? I know I've put myself in a less-than-ideal situation, but I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy and know we can work something out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Skip
11-13-2010, 01:55 PM
oh my.. i am not sure what you are asking..

how much did you pay for nickel size discus?

Earthsiege
11-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey. Sorry for not being that clear. Basically, I'm just wondering what I should do to make the situation better for the fry.

And you don't want to know, lol.

Skip
11-13-2010, 02:04 PM
well. .you still have the 10g.. do you think you could get a sponge filter/hydrosponge.. they are about under 15, usually.. and an airpump from walmart is also under 12..

then them in the 10g for now.. but they are really small.. i picked up some fish under 1" but i got 10.. (later picked up 20 more). i am growing them out in 2 30 gallons...

that would help.. but they will get lonely.. do you think you could pick up another 3-4.. when they are that small.. they are very sensitive to water changes and can die quick.. where larger fish are stronger..

***sorry altum.. i forgot about the heater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ** LOL

Altum Nut
11-13-2010, 02:05 PM
In this case, your nickel sized Discus are not going to grow in your current set-up. Set-up your 10g tank for now with a simple sponge filter and very small heater...maybe 50w and use water from your 100g to fill it. Run it for a couple of days and place Discus in. If that is all you have to work with, it's better than where they are now. Just make sure you do at least 50% w/C every day.
Hope this helps.
...Ralph

William Palumbo
11-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Just fill your 10g up with the water from your bigger tank...Bill

tbone83
11-21-2010, 07:08 AM
dont raise young discus in community
try grow out

Jason K.
11-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Just fill your 10g up with the water from your bigger tank...Bill