PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to vBulletin 4

Ryan
11-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Hello everyone,

As you've probably realized by now, the forum got a facelift. Welcome to 2010! I've been putting it off for a year, but we finally took the plunge and upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin -- vB4.

Almost everything is back in place. iTrader is up, banners are up but they do not rotate automatically for now. I will try to work on this later.

A few changes and notes:

UserCP has now changed to Settings and it is in the top right corner of the page. This is where you change all of your options and settings, see your subscribed threads, access PMs, etc. You can also click your username in the top right to see your profile. You may now leave Visitor Messages for people, much like a Facebook wall.

Also, you may have noticed a little filmstrip icon when creating a new post. That is so that you can embed YouTube videos. Just click the button, paste your YouTube link, and it will put the video in your post.

When replying to threads, a single click on the Reply button will activate the Quick Reply box. If you prefer the old method of replying, double-click on the Reply button instead and it will take you there.

If you find anything broken or out of place, please PM me or post here in the thread and I will try my best to fix it or find an answer for you.

Skip
11-14-2010, 03:31 AM
looks great! thanks

Eddie
11-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Nice work! Have to get used to the new breed! :)

ashaysathe
11-14-2010, 08:35 AM
The look and feel is great. Very Nice..

Eddie
11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
I really like having the ability to customize your profile. NICE!!!

Chad Adams
11-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Great job guys. Like the new look.:guitarist:
Chad

PAR23
11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
looks great! thanks

Ditto

Nice work! Have to get used to the new breed! :)

Yeah......It's like a new "strain" of Simply...LOL

wadewc
11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Site looks great! Like the new look!

Wade

cooksa
11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks great! Me likey!

Jason K.
11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
WOW! thought i was in the wrong place for a minute. felt a little scared and lost at the same time...lol. looks good though.:D

roclement
11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Ryan you are the man! Looks great! Thanks for all your work (while we were all having beers at Brew's!) :)

Rodrigo

Ryan
11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Ryan you are the man! Looks great! Thanks for all your work (while we were all having beers at Brew's!) :)

Rodrigo

I figured the best time to upgrade the software was while the boss was distracted. That way, if I broke anything, I could frantically try and fix it before he got back online. ;)

cooksa
11-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I will also say, I co-own a dog forum. We updated a few months ago as well, and it doesn't look half as good as this does. I was severely disappointed, truthfully. We may have to have a chat about converting to vBulletin.

Elite Aquaria
11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Ryan,

The new upgrades look great. Thanks for all you do for our community. Without You and Al I am not sure what we would do to get our discus fix every day.

wgtaylor
11-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Good job Ryan :)
The whole site looks great, like Al said, it's like driving a new car.
Bill

Ed13
11-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Ryan,

The new upgrades look great. Thanks for all you do for our community. Without You and Al I am not sure what we would do to get our discus fix every day.

Absolutely!!!! Thank you and Al for your hard work!!!!

crazycracker
11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
2 thumbs up!!!

Justice
11-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Very clean looking

hironobu
11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
The look is great! I tried to log in every hour yesterday to get the first look. Thanks for your time and effort, job well done!

dan1
11-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the hard work Ryan. This looks so much better.

Thanks again, we all appreciated it very much.

Second Hand Pat
11-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Good job Ryan, looks wonderful.

Disgirl
11-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Good job Ryan! Thanks for all the work you had to do on it!
Barb

vera
11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Well done Ryan /Al !!!

DiscusKev
11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
It look very nice, no wonder why the board wasn't working the other day. I too need to get use to it...good job anyhow

2075turner
11-14-2010, 11:27 PM
I was really wondering where I was for a sec. It looks great. Thanks guys for all the hard work....we all appreciate it 8-)

April
11-15-2010, 01:08 AM
thanks Ryan. you do great work as always.!!!
i like it and i like the way you see the list of all sponsors etc without clicking .

Ryan
11-15-2010, 02:47 AM
thanks Ryan. you do great work as always.!!!
i like it and i like the way you see the list of all sponsors etc without clicking .

Yeah, it does take up quite a bit of room vertically, but I think it's a lot easier to read the list with every sponsor on a separate line. Before it felt like a jumbled mess.

Kenny's Discus
11-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Great work as usual Ryan. Might get some getting used to but love the overall vB4's cleaner look.:)

Thanks for the hard work!

Kenny

DonMD
11-15-2010, 06:30 AM
I'll add my thanks for all the hard work you guys do to keep this site running. Thank you very much!

catgoldfish
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Great job. Love the new look.

Rod:)

John Crawford
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks great Ryan, Job well done.

Regards John..

brewmaster15
11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I figured the best time to upgrade the software was while the boss was distracted. That way, if I broke anything, I could frantically try and fix it before he got back online. LOL! I just saw this one Ryan. ..guess I really was distracted!

BTW...I really am enjoying the new software... still has the new car smell, and I feel like I upgraded my wheels...:)

-al

babakaty
11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Kudos to Ryan and thanks for all y'all do behind the scenes.

vera
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Guys , have a question , it seems after i answer the post i cant find it on a New post list

Jennie
11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
I noticed that too Vera???

brewmaster15
11-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi Vera and Jennie,
When I look at the new post list I see you both there.. when the forums active and there alot posting going on you maybe a few pages back in the new posts real quick...but looking at the 2nd and 3rd pages I see posts from both of you.

There also may be a lag in the actual posting being shown...just like theres a lag when a person logs out and the board still shows them online.
hth
-al

Jennie
11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Not sure what deal is, but will only show up in new post if someone responds after my reply but will show up in each individual topic forum, for example if I click on say disease section or beginner section...there it is.. hope that made sense.. the delay has been longer than 30 minutes...

pcsb23
11-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Not sure what deal is, but will only show up in new post if someone responds after my reply but will show up in each individual topic forum, for example if I click on say disease section or beginner section...there it is.. hope that made sense.. the delay has been longer than 30 minutes...

If what you mean is you don't see your post when you click New Posts (or What's New?) that is correct as your post is not new to you. Hope I have explained that correctly.

Jennie
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks Paul. Got it..just a little different than old way!:)

Ryan
11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Right -- once you open a thread to respond to it, there will technically be no new posts, which is why it doesn't show up. Only once someone replies after you will the board see it as a new post and put it back in your list.

balha
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
very nice. but i noticed that "today's post " is missing. ir was very practical to browse new threads.

vera
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Right -- once you open a thread to respond to it, there will technically be no new posts, which is why it doesn't show up. Only once someone replies after you will the board see it as a new post and put it back in your list.

so where to look for it , where does it go to pls

Ryan
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Vera, once you make a new post in a thread, the board should automatically take you right back to the thread so that you can see your reply.

If people want a way to keep track of threads they are participating in, I would suggest using the Subscription tools available. You can set it so that you are automatically subscribed to each new thread you post in. Every time a new post is made, it will show up in your control panel (you access this by clicking on Settings in the top right corner of the page). If you need to go back through recent threads you've participated in, there is a way to show a list of all your subscribed threads.

"Today's Posts" has been replaced by the "What's New?" tab at the top, under the Simply logo. If you click that, it will show you a chronological list of all new threads/posts starting with the most recent.

vera
11-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Vera, once you make a new post in a thread, the board should automatically take you right back to the thread so that you can see your reply.

If people want a way to keep track of threads they are participating in, I would suggest using the Subscription tools available. You can set it so that you are automatically subscribed to each new thread you post in. Every time a new post is made, it will show up in your control panel (you access this by clicking on Settings in the top right corner of the page). If you need to go back through recent threads you've participated in, there is a way to show a list of all your subscribed threads

Thank u Ryan

Jennie
11-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Vera, the way to see the post you just made is to click on "forum" at top left corner of webpage. That will bring you to the page with individual forums, basics for biginners, disease, planted... click on the section you just posted in, and u will see your post.
to see all OTHER new post, click on "whats new"
I like the old way better too but it is gone..
HTH,
Jen

vera
11-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Vera, the way to see the post you just made is to click on "forum" at top left corner of webpage. That will bring you to the page with individual forums, basics for biginners, disease, planted... click on the section you just posted in, and u will see your post.
to see all OTHER new post, click on "whats new"
I like the old way better too but it is gone..
HTH,
Jen

Thats creative :) Tnx Jen

Pardal
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Great Job!
Looks good.
Julian.

joanr
11-21-2010, 02:55 PM
The new interface is very clean and easy to use. The only thing I noticed was the font size on a 1680 WS LED display was way too small to read. Enlarging the text size in the View/Text Size tool bar in IE did not change the fonts. They must be hard-coded. Anyhow a work around is to go to the Tools/Internet Settings/Appearance/Accesability Tab/ and check the ignore font sizes specified on webpage option. After doing that your Text Size options will work again.

BODYDUB
11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I like the new upgrade, but the only thing I would like added is the old PM display in the upper right corner.

Ryan
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
If you have new PMs, a number will show up next to Notifications in the top right corner. They just changed the name because you can now have Visitor Messages (similar to Facebook wall posts) in addition to PMs.

yim11
11-22-2010, 01:26 PM
On the home page, it says "Welcome to the SimplyDiscus" (see attached), is that supposed to say "Welcome to SimplyDiscus"?

brewmaster15
11-22-2010, 08:42 PM
On the home page, it says "Welcome to the SimplyDiscus" (see attached), is that supposed to say "Welcome to SimplyDiscus"?

Hey Jim,
Thats done like that so that aging members of the forum like myself have additional clues as to where they are.:):D:D:D

-al

Jennie
11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey HEY!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Jim,
Thats done like that so that aging members of the forum like myself have additional clues as to where they are.:):D:D:D

-al

Ryan
11-23-2010, 03:46 AM
It was like that on my other forum, too. vBulletin changed the phrasing in one of their language settings. I've edited it.

Keith Perkins
12-11-2010, 11:18 PM
The new interface is very clean and easy to use. The only thing I noticed was the font size on a 1680 WS LED display was way too small to read. Enlarging the text size in the View/Text Size tool bar in IE did not change the fonts. They must be hard-coded. Anyhow a work around is to go to the Tools/Internet Settings/Appearance/Accesability Tab/ and check the ignore font sizes specified on webpage option. After doing that your Text Size options will work again.

CTRL and the + key pressed together is the fastest way to increase the font size in most applications, and it works here.:)

Jennie
12-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey Ryan, one more problem experiencing aside from multiquote function not working for everyone is the P.M. function. is delayed or doesn't send message at all..
I know you said you were working out kinks on MQ but this another kink