PDA

View Full Version : Head standing, twitching, breathing hard????

ZX10R
11-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Noticed two days ago he was head standing, twitching, and scratching. He did this some friday nothing yesterday but today he is doing it again. This is the only fish acting like this in my tank. Fish was eating as of this morning.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Head standing, floating on side, twitching, beathing hard, scratching

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

nothing yet but will be doing a WC today

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

Tank is almost two months old, 120 gallon tank 30 gallon sump, 14 discus 1 ray all fish and ray have been together for 8 months to a year.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50 gallon WC every 3 days, tank has been running for almost two months, tank is BB, and yes I age my water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84

- ph 7.5

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Added 7 new fish to another tank that is about 6' away from this tank. But nothing has been added to this tank.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Sick%20Fish/Price005.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Sick%20Fish/Price001.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Sick%20Fish/Price002.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Sick%20Fish/th_Price006.jpg (http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Sick%20Fish/?action=view&current=Price006.mp4)

PAR23
11-14-2010, 12:51 PM
What is your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Almost looks like his equilibrium is off.

ZX10R
11-14-2010, 12:55 PM
What is your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Almost looks like his equilibrium is off.

I just realized I didn't check those yet but I will right now. I have had this fish since April and he is one my fastest growing fish. This just started Friday I will get those water reading.

ZX10R
11-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

How do you post a video? I have a short video but the way I thought it worked to post it didn't happen. Fish seems to be acting fine now. I have only seen him doing this Friday and today he acted fine all day yesterday.

mwdw
11-14-2010, 02:43 PM
i have a leopard that is doing the same thing, only thing is mine still eats like a pig. it turns deep purple.

Jennie
11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
my female started to do this when she started to become ill...turning deep colors...pointing upwards when other fish approached..I thought it was a defense mechanism.. Is this fish doing this only when other fish approach it...please observe

ZX10R
11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
i have a leopard that is doing the same thing, only thing is mine still eats like a pig. it turns deep purple.

Mine is not changing color but is still eating like crazy.

my female started to do this when she started to become ill...turning deep colors...pointing upwards when other fish approached..I thought it was a defense mechanism.. Is this fish doing this only when other fish approach it...please observe

I will have to watch but I did notice today when this fish was doing this some of the other fish starting nipping at it. Not agressive enough to worry about. This fish done this for about 30 minutes friday nothing yesterday and about 30 minutes today. I just got done feeding them and the fish is swimming around fine now and did eat.

Eddie
11-15-2010, 07:37 AM
I suspect external parasite, mainly from the twitching, floating on side. Can you pick up some formalin or F&MG? Its possible that something came from new fish. If you treat with F&MG, be prepared for all hell to break lose (mass infection). Pick up some Furan-2 and lots.

Eddie

ZX10R
11-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I suspect external parasite, mainly from the twitching, floating on side. Can you pick up some formalin or F&MG? Its possible that something came from new fish. If you treat with F&MG, be prepared for all hell to break lose (mass infection). Pick up some Furan-2 and lots.

Eddie

GREAT!!!! I hope this isn't the case but I have tons of Furan 2 I will check around for the other stuff just incase. I only noticed the fish acting this way 4 times once Friday and three times Sunday. I age my water but I was thinking this morning Thursday night I did a WC and wiped down the glass. Could something with that have caused this? The fish ate good all day yesterday and this morning and has been swimming around normal today. I have a video clip on photobucket just can't figure out how to post it on here.

ZX10R
11-16-2010, 09:08 AM
I did a large WC Sunday night and so far he is acting normal. I never once seen him acting funny the way he did over the weekend. I will do another WC tonight and just keep a eye on him for now.

Problem #2
I believe my problem started from using the same syphon hose Thursday night on two different tanks. Normally I wash and clean the syphon hose between WC on tanks but I really can't remember doing this Thursday night. My Pearl Pigeon has stopped eating now in my other tank. The Pearl Pigeon is normal color and is not clamping it's fins but is staying in the back and won't eat. I did a WC last night to see if that would help but they still were not eating as of this morning.

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I am starting to feel like I am talking to myself here but oh well!!!!

After several WC the last few nights the fish that was acting strange seems to be fine now. He is not doing any head standing, itching, or floating on his side he is eating very good. I am still keeping a close eye on him and the other discus in that tank for awhile.

Now for my other problem my pearl pigeon in the other tank still won't eat this is the third day of not eating. He is normal color no clamped fins but is staying off by himself. I set-up a 10 gallon tank last night with a large air stone and heater. If he is not eating when I get home I am moving him to the hospital tank and slowly raise the temp to see if this helps. Should I add salt also or just try the higher temp first?

jimg
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I would not add salt raise temp to 88 aerate well lots of wc's see how that goes first

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 10:46 PM
I would not add salt raise temp to 88 aerate well lots of wc's see how that goes first

Thanks, I just moved the fish to the hospital tank and have the temp up to 86 now and will keep raising it until I reach 88-90.

ZX10R
11-18-2010, 08:10 PM
The fish made it less then 24 hrs in the hospital tank at 89 degrees. I am not sure what happened he went from my strongest eating fish to dead in 4 days. I just don't know what went wrong he was swimming around at 11:30 a.m. got home at 5 p.m. and he was gone. I am not a happy camper right now :cry:
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Sick%20Fish/Price.jpg

jimg
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Sorry to hear about him.
I would double check ALL your water parameters.
He may have had an organ failure? who knows sometimes. many things can cause many different symptoms.
I would keep up with a lot of wc's on the tank and watch the others closely

ZX10R
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear about him.
I would double check ALL your water parameters.
He may have had an organ failure? who knows sometimes. many things can cause many different symptoms.
I would keep up with a lot of wc's on the tank and watch the others closely

Thanks, I am not sure if it was cross contamination or my water or something else. I did a WC in both tanks Thursday night one tank had a fish quit eating the other tank a fish that acted like it had external parasites. I did multiple WC in both tanks since and one fish recovered and the other died. I have been watching both tanks very close and all remaining fish seem fine eating good and acting fine. Who knows what happened :confused:

Second Hand Pat
11-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Sean, sorry about you losing this one. Crossing fingers you have no more losses.

ZX10R
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Sean, sorry about you losing this one. Crossing fingers you have no more losses.

Thank You Pat, I hope I don't loose another one I don't think I will they all seem fine now. Always sucks when you loose a fish and not knowing for sure what caused it.

deanne
11-20-2010, 11:32 PM
So sorry about your fish. I feel terrible when I lose one, so I know how you feel.

Jennie
11-20-2010, 11:47 PM
sorry to hear zx10r

Eddie
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear man, keep an eye on the rest and if you see something out of the ordinary, roll with my first suggestion.

Eddie

ZX10R
11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Sorry to hear man, keep an eye on the rest and if you see something out of the ordinary, roll with my first suggestion.

Eddie

I have been keeping a close eye on both tanks and so far no problems. Fish are all swimming and eating fine I have been keeping up with WC a lot just incase there was something going on.

Eddie
11-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Sounds good!

ZX10R
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Sounds good!

Glad to see you back it was kind of quiet without you on here for the last week

Eddie
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I know! Been super busy and then getting ready for this trip. I'm still in travels, in Singapore waiting for my flight to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and then its 10 days of pure PLEASURE in KL!!! Woohooo