PDA

View Full Version : what is that thing with prazipro? - got fungus or something other after treatment????

danjadragonfly
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
hello folks in the discus community,
I am still hanging in there.
But I am in alert state right now. after I did a prazipro treatment my discus came down with .... just a guess some sort of fungus - grayish layer whitish fringed tails.
My blue diamond reacted first? see pict
this was 5 days ago. and the half of my tank followed as well. see pict
first I did formalin and salt - 2 days - did not work at all
second I did tetracyclin and maroxyn - 2 days - seems it does not work
I separated two of the discus and I treated (just for comparison) with kanamycin and maroxy - does not seam to work either.
I have some cleaner fish and clown loaches with my discus - they are not affected at all. Also it does seem to affect not all discus only half of them.
I am really getting desperate now because it's my main tank and I think I tried what I thought should work.
Any ideas?

The forum web update is great, but I could not find the form. The water quality is excellent in a BB tank.
thanks for anybody who can advise me on that.

William Palumbo
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear Dan. I have used PraziPro many times, on adults to fry, with never any problems, especially nothing like what you have. Was anything else in the water when you used the Prazi?...Bill

Jennie
11-14-2010, 11:16 PM
looks like ich on the blues..grayish patches could be slime coat coming off..but I can't tell with pics

Eddie
11-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Looks like external parasite/protozoa and secondary bacteria infection. Prazipro is very ineffective on dealing with parasites. I'd hit them with Potassium Perm at this point, before you start losing fish.

danjadragonfly
11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
thanks so much,
I have done salt dip. do you think that will be effective at all?
I just think taking the fish in and out the tank is quite stressful for them.
I also read somewhere here on the forum to put methyl blue after the PP treatment.
Anyways, what is the ideal treatment?
how many days or only once PP? Any time limit? I read something about 4 hours or more or less?
I am so confused if you search you get so many different advises. I appreciate your advise on long experience with keeping discus healthy.

Bill,
I am not sure what you mean with anything else? I just have a BB tank and one piece of wood which is in there for a long time.
nothing added nothing changed otherwise.
I also have given my juveniles a prazi threat with no side effects. they are perfectly fine.

William Palumbo
11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
I just meant was any other meds already in the tank...Bill

jimg
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
pp bath at 2ppm (1.5 grams per 1000ml 100ml per20 gal.) 4-6 hrs in clean tank. Then into a hospital tank.
Look to me like fungus. but it still would be secondary.

jimg
11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
I believe you should not mix salt with formalin either.