PDA

View Full Version : Upate: RT's eye and the importance of patience and clean fresh water!

Sea Hag
11-14-2010, 11:33 PM
For those that had followed my thread on the awful eye injury and subsequent infection of my RT's eye. After being given the ok to introduce back into the display I decided to hold off a bit and continue with the HUGE water changes and salt. The result has made me VERY happy. I didn't think the eye could get any better than it had, but it did. He now only has a slight cloudiness in part of the iris but the pupil is a nice dark black with no marring. He reacts when facing me sideways with that eye (good eye to the other side) so I'm sure he can see. Not sure on the accuracy of vision but he does have some vision. He is eating much better, just in the way he used to prior to the injury. I think I will go ahead and introduce him into the display in the next few days. Just shy of 60 days in QT, I'm glad I was able to be patient!
I had to share, as this makes me VERY happy.
Some pics:

aalbina
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Wow - amazing! He looks great. I honestly thought that eye was a gonner when I saw your earliest pictures. Great job with this fish!

Adam

Sea Hag
11-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks, Adam. I really thought that eye was history too. I put forth a ton of effort, time, worrying and hair pulling on this one and I'm soooo glad I did!

Eddie
11-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Hell yeah, thats an amazing recovery! Great work!

Eddie

Sea Hag
11-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I have you and Bill to thank, so...THANK YOU!!! Way on earlier in that thread I remember reading "the eyes take a long time to heal" so that's why I decided to tack on a few more weeks in QT. I also wanted him very fiesty at feeding time before he went back into the display. He is now hitting the food loaded syringe hard, which he needs to do, in order to be able to keep up with everyone else in the display. The other thing I learned through this ordeal is that you are right on about the food issue. They can go a long time without eating and still be ok! :-)
I was just updating myself on your Blue pair thread and see that you keep the tank "sideways" versus "full frontal", and all sides are painted but one. This had me thinking I should do the same for my QT/Hospital tank, so while in that tank the fish will feel more secure. Is this a good idea?? Now that I have one successful treatment for injury under my belt I want to perfect the routine, lol.

Hell yeah, thats an amazing recovery! Great work!

Eddie

Jennie
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm impressed Seahag!! great recovery efforts on your part

William Palumbo
11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Looks real good! Fresh, clean water + salt can work wonders at times. The thing I have learned from injuries like that, and in fact in treating most disease, is that it seems to always look/get worse, before it starts to gets better. That is about the time we think the initial treatment is not working...we then bombard the tank with numerous other meds, not giving them a chance to work either....the fish get stressed from all the meds...look worse, and we give up on them. As you learned you can't give up...and have loads of patience!...Bill

joshua 74
11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
thats grate progress. good old salt lol

PAR23
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Awesome Job!!!!! Always rewarding to have a great ending..

kaceyo
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Great job! You gotta have a "wet thumb" to pull a discus through that bad of an injury so well.

Disgirl
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Yes, patience is really good to learn in discus keeping! Congrats on such a good healing from that awful looking injury!
Barb

joanr
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Outstanding result! I thought the eye was history when I first saw it, so happy for you and your turk!