PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to try the foster method?

pinoysport
11-16-2010, 02:53 PM
So im wondering what is the best way to transfer eggs or fry to foster parents?

Do you transfer the breeding site with the spawn on it?

Or do you take out the mom and dad and move the foster parent to the breeding tank with the spawn already there?

Same question for wigglers or fry.. At what stage do you mvoe them? and who do you move? the fry? parents? or foster parents?

Anyone?

John_Nicholson
11-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Cover the eggs on the cone and move the cone in with the foster parent/parents.

-john

Melissa
11-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey that's a good question!

Have you had great success with that method John?
Is it like a 50/50 chance the fosters won't accept the fry? Or do experienced parents usually do well?

John_Nicholson
11-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I have only done it a few times but I have had 100% success. I have used old breeders that were just taking up tank space.

-john

vera
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I have only done it a few times but I have had 100% success. I have used old breeders that were just taking up tank space.

-john

+1

kaceyo
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I've done it the same way John did, moving screened eggs into the fosters tank, always using experienced parents.
The only time it didn't work for me was when I moved the eggs and an experienced female, without a partner ATM, all into a clean tank at once. She neverbacame interested in them except as an appitizer when they went freeswimming.

John_Nicholson
11-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I had an old male that would raise by his self. I have found that the males tend to be better parents. Might not always hold true but it has in my experience.

-john

brewmaster15
11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Cover the eggs on the cone and move the cone in with the foster parent/parents.

-john ditto.

pinoysport
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses. ..... I guess my question is now.. when you mean cover the eggs.... are you saying keep them covered in water when you transport them to the new tank?

kaceyo
11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
No. Screen the eggs to keep the foster parents from eating them right away before their breeding instincts kick in. It doesn't hurt the eggs to be out of the water for short periods of time.