PDA

View Full Version : Stopped eating two weeks ago

mrfishes
11-16-2010, 08:14 PM
I have six red turquoise discus about seven months old in a 55-gallon BB tank. They were good eaters until about two weeks ago when they stopped feeding. :(

Thanks a lot for any advice you may have.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

All six discus stopped eating two weeks ago. Otherwise fish seem fine...they are swimming around like normal, and I may even have a young pair forming. But I worry they may all starve soon.

The cardinals, white clouds, and corydoras are eating fine.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Not eating. I occasionally see them rubbing against things in the tank and quivering. They have occasionally rubbed ever since I got them in July at 3''. The quivering is somewhat new. Also a bit of darting, which is also somewhat new. Haven't seen any poop for a while since they're not eating.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Raised temp to 88, with no effect.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55g active for one year with box filters. Six discus at about 4'' that I got four months ago, five corydoras, five cardinals, three white clouds.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

90% every two or three days and vacuum out uneaten food every day. Water treated with Prime. BB. Water not aged.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _88____

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No

Skip
11-16-2010, 08:17 PM
have you change/added something different to what you feed them?

mrfishes
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Sorry I left this out...

Up until three weeks ago, I fed Sera Discus Granules, Total Reef Flakes, and Hans' Beef Mix. They were good eaters.

Then three weeks ago, I fed Hikari frozen bloodworms. The discus loved it. So much that they stopped eating other stuff after just one bloodworm feeding.

So I fed them only the Granules and Flakes for three days, and they didn't eat it. I caved and fed them bloodworms, and they ate that.

But after a day, they stopped eating the bloodworms, and haven't eaten anything at all since. I've tried the Granules, Flakes, frozen bloodworms, and have most recently also tried frozen mysid shrimp and frozen brine shrimp. The only bit of feeding I have seen is from the runt in the tank, and that has only been a few times in the past two weeks.

PAR23
11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
It is a little odd that you have zero nitrate reading......assuming your tank is fully cycled. Flashing could be secondary to water quality issue.

mrfishes
11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Sorry I fudged that a bit...I have strips that give me a range of nitrate (not exact), and it is at the lowest range.

PAR23
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
No worries....I like the solution test kits....I find them to be more accurate.....I would get some different test kits and re-test your water to exclude it being the issue.....Can you increase your WCs.....maybe 50% daily.

mrfishes
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I have an ammonia solution kit and rely on the strips for the other stuff, but I can get solution kits if that is better.

I can do more water changes but it seems like my water change regimen is unlikely to be the issue since the hunger strike just started two weeks ago while I have been using the same water change regimen for months? Anyway, I will do a water change when I get home--thanks.

As it has been two weeks since they last ate, I am getting worried that they will die soon or eventually, and wonder if there is a disease issue that I should be treating?

Skip
11-16-2010, 11:37 PM
great.. !! you made them into BLOODWORM CRACKHEADS! maybe their tummys hurt.. my starting getting bloated from eating flake and tetra bits (win i didn't soak them for min. 5 minutes before feeding).. they will eat when they are hungry... do they wait for you at the glass?

mrfishes
11-16-2010, 11:47 PM
great.. !! you made them into BLOODWORM CRACKHEADS! maybe their tummys hurt.. my starting getting bloated from eating flake and tetra bits (win i didn't soak them for min. 5 minutes before feeding).. they will eat when they are hungry... do they wait for you at the glass?

LOL bloodworm crackheads! Unfortunately my fear is that they are past the addiction stage and already in the death spiral stage. I WISH they wanted bloodworms like crack! Then at least they would be eating something.

So should I be concerned with the occasional rubbing, quivering, and darting? Do you think I should treat with some medication? I've been hoping that they will eventually snap out of it and start eating, but now I'm starting to worry they will die. How do I know if I should wait it out or treat with medication?

mrfishes
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Oh and yes they are at the glass, but not eating. :(

Skip
11-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Treatment is Above my Paygrade.. sorry

PAR23
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I would probably go ahead with metro treatment at this point...400-500mg/10G for total of 3-5 days.

jimg
11-17-2010, 08:41 PM
If they are flashing ,rubbing and darting sounds like it could be external parasites I would try quick cure or better yet, if you can find it is clout. Also lower temp. a little

mrfishes
11-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok will go get some medicine. Thanks a lot for the advice.

mrfishes
12-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Thought I'd update in case anyone does a search in the future with a similar problem...

Treated with Tetra Lifeguard for five days (followed directions on packet) about three weeks ago, then treated with Jungle Parasite Clear (one treatment) about two weeks ago. About one week ago, there were two fish eating semi-well, then a few days later three, then four, and now five fish are eating. Just one that is not eating today, but I am hopeful that he will start eating soon. Don't know if it was the Lifeguard or the Parasite Clear, or both.

PAR23
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Glad to hear your fish are improving.....