PDA

View Full Version : Nets.... Catching/Relocating

JaVia
11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Okay, so I know nets are frowned upon, but I am not sure what else to use..... I know I can use a clear container but I can not catch crud with that method.

I only plan to use a net to move them to their home from the quarantine tank. So I was curious if you can give me a net that is safer. I am looking for a soft net online, but I am having a hard time finding one.

Also, any other methods used with success let me know! I wish I could be like Discus Hans and just catch them with my hand.
Thanks

Jhhnn
11-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Call John at Jehmco, tell him what you want in a net- he'll do you right. Bigger is better, provided it fits...

Fish are a lot easier to catch in low water, and a lot easier with the top & light removed. It's also easier getting them into their new home with the top & light out of the way, too...

Be prepared to get wet.

JaVia
11-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Oh I know lol. I just chased 4 tetra, one small angel, one small bn pleco, and two corries out of a tank to get my quarantine tank ready and empty.

I move fish alot... Not so much anymore, but I had a few problem fish and they had to get moved into my semi-aggressive tank, what an odd mix in there. One tetra, one gourami, two yoyo loaches, and my two severums, but they actually all get along great.... its odd.

I should not have to many big moves ahead for my fish, so thats a plus.

BODYDUB
11-16-2010, 10:53 PM
What about a nylon net?????

JaVia
11-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Are they pretty safe? I honestly know very little about nets. I know what I am looking for but since I am having to shop online (my stores have NOTHING) so I am not sure what it would be titled, you know? Is a nylon net a softer safer net?

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
This is the net I use 8" x 6" with a 24" handle the net seems pretty soft.

http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/fish/aquarium-supplies/maintentance-cleaning/cleaning-aids-misc-maintenance/ulti-nets/prodUltiNets.html

John_Nicholson
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I have used the normal old green standard nets for about 35+ years without any problems. Fish are tougher then you think.

-john

moneyLaw
11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
If you have a petco or petsmart (I forgot which one I got it from) around you, they have a blue net with steel rod (I am not talking about regular blue net) that is way softer than the regular (cheap) nets, you might want to check it out. When I was using a regular net, sometimes, the fish got tangled in the net, never happened since I started using that blue net.

scottthomas
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Any net that is big enough is fine. As John said already, The fish are not that fragile. Some of them let me pick them up by hand but I use a net in case they jump.

JaVia
11-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys. I got a 8x6 nylon soft net last night it should be here in about a week, yay