PDA

View Full Version : White tissue sticks out past gill plate. What is this?

Double Up
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
White tissue sticks out past gill plate. It is white and ruffled. Any ideas? I have been trying to get a good pic but am having trouble.

brewmaster15
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Its a thickening of the gill covering and unfortunately is not treatable in most/all cases...Its thought by some to be caused by chemical burns either acute short term ones when the fish is young or possibly by prolonged exposure to irritants like formalin, PP, etc. It usually becomes evident as the fish gets older. Generally its not life threatening, but is unpleasant to look at.

Others on the forum have reported it...I've seen it personally here as well.

hth,
al

jball1125
11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
One of my old Turks has this. I have never treated him with any meds so I think it might have happened when he was younger at the breeders hatchery. Regardless he is still very healthy and has no trouble keeping up with the rest of my big boys. He tells the ladies its a battle scar...

Moon
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I also have an adult red cover with this issue. He is a little smaller than his siblings and tends to pump his gills a little harder than the others.
This could be because the gills are not fuctioning as efficiently as the others.

Double Up
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Its a thickening of the gill covering and unfortunately is not treatable in most/all cases...Its thought by some to be caused by chemical burns either acute short term ones when the fish is young or possibly by prolonged exposure to irritants like formalin, PP, etc. It usually becomes evident as the fish gets older. Generally its not life threatening, but is unpleasant to look at.

Others on the forum have reported it...I've seen it personally here as well.

hth,
al

Thanks Al !,
She is an older fish(5-6yrs) she seems fine and her gills inside are nice and red. I wonder if this comes with old age?

Double Up
11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
thanks for the replies everyone! just wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious.