PDA

View Full Version : very shy and always hiding discus, please help

jayson
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
I'll make this as short but as detailed as possible. I started off with 5 discus and 4 angels in a 75 gallon tank. They used to be very active and friendly, not shy, wasn't hiding. Then i introduced a piece of drift wood 2 weeks ago, they were fine, still no changes in behavior, not shy nor hiding. Just a few days ago (on sunday) i brought home another 5 discus all around the same size, they were still fine. First day, they got to know each other, the new ones were a bit shy, as new to tank. Second day, they all were fine and active, not shy or hiding. THEN, yesterday (tuesday) I brought home 8 small plants, and planted them in the tank spreaded around. NOW, since yesterday, ALL OF THEM are shy and hiding all day either behind driftwood or plant. Seems like the new 5 discus are adapting a bit better, moving around and not hiding as much, but the old 5 discus... are ALWAYS hiding, runs when I come by to feed, they hide, shy, dark, most of the day. Barely comes out for feeding time like they use to (they use to go crazy when it comes to feeding time and always runs to the top when they see me and ask to be fed). OK. I hope that's detailed enough. any inputs would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP. I'm still keeping up with the water changes. everything still normal. feeds like 7 times a day with a good variety that they always used to love. Any help???? please?

jayson
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
By the way, everything else is normal as usual. Tested water, parameters looks good, temp is good. 84 F.

Skip
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
how big are your discus? do you have Gravel? 7 times a day is ALOT..

jayson
11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
all are about 2-3 inches. yes the tank has gravel. water changes every 2 days, but will try to do every day 30%. what's ur recomendation on daily wc? percentage? I've been getting mixed reviews about feeding, some say 6-7 some say 4-5.

jayson
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
in case i forgot to mention any useful info: i have 2 hang on back filters marineland, both combined filters up to 125 gallons, white gravel. Once again, I didn't change any of this at all so i can't imagine this to be the reason why they behave this way. The ONLY changes were the ones i listed above (first post). hope this clears up the picture, and situation.
thanks

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I didn't read were you did a QT on the new discus or plants. If that is the case then the worse is yet to come. I believe I have read 2-3" 6-7 times a day feeding is K.

vera
11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I didn't read were you did a QT on the new discus or plants. If that is the case then the worse is yet to come. I believe I have read 2-3" 6-7 times a day feeding is K.

+ 1 , did u quarantine new 5 Discus ?

jayson
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
what quarantine? what is that? cuz i didn't do it to any of them all 10. the first 5 were ok.... and no not the plants. but what exactly is quarantine... shittt

jayson
11-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I washed the plants and roots well, bought them from petsmart. washed off all that gel stuff and cleaned it before i put them in. but what is quarantine?????

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
what quarantine?

Well sounds like you are about to find out. Any time you get new fish in or basically anything you are going to add to your tank you should always QT them first. This is to make sure they are not sick or a carrier of some parasites or bacteria that they can give to the other fish. And as I have found out lately never mix sources of fish if you buy your discus from sponsor A you can't buy discus later from sponsor B and mix them. I learned my lesson also I had 8 discus added 2 more without QT so I would have ten. Well after a month I only had 3 left the new ones brought something into the tank.

vera
11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Quarantine is usually a 20 gallon tank with heater and sponge filter where new Discus are placed for a period of 4 weeks to observe for disease and to treat , if needed , prior mixing them with existing stock

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Here you need to read all this it explains QT procedures everyone does it a little different but you will get the point

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions...

jayson
11-17-2010, 02:32 PM
ok.... this is scary....

CARY_GLdiscus
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?83765-Does-getting-discus-from-different-sources-really-affect-there-growth

ZX10R
11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
ok.... this is scary....

It was for me back in January when I did the same thing. Here is my first post on here and what happened to me. Read it may give you some ideas or points of what might happen soon.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?77464-Have-lost-half-my-discus-need-help!!!!&highlight=

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?83765-Does-getting-discus-from-different-sources-really-affect-there-growth

That is one good thread who started that :D