PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to feed fry automatically?

DonMD
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I've got a couple serious mating pairs in my display tank. I'd love to set them up in their own 29g breeder tank, but unfortunately I'm out of the house for at least 11 hours every weekday.

If they do spawn, is there any way to automatically feed the fry while I'm not at home ? ? ?

Skip
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
yes.. eddie said to us GOLDEN Pearls from Kensfish. .he puts them in autofeed while at work.. they have different sizes...

John_Nicholson
11-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Just feed morning and night and they will do fine.

-john

DonMD
11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe I can set up some bbs for the mornings and evenings, and put the Golden Pearls on a auto feeder for a couple times in the middle of the day . . . I'm definitely going to have to do something because now I've got two pair laying eggs in my 125g!

Melissa
11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Very cool Don!

I do BBS and Golden Pearls too... I'm home most days but i figure a varied diet would be good for them. So i'm sure it would work fine using an auto-feeder!

A tip.... when ordering GP's you should get multiple micron sizes at once considering you'll probably be ordering them online (Hopefully from a SD Sponsor!) amd you'll save on shipping... after like the first week free-swimming they switch from the 50-100 micron size to the 100-200 micron golden pearls....i didnt think id need a larger size so soon when i ordered the gp's initially and was ordering more within days :-/ Oh well!

Good luck!

Justice
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I use Golden Pearls 100-200 Microns, (and later 300-500 Microns), these I mix with crushed ON Prime Reef Flakes and AngelsPlus Beef Heart Flakes, (I later add crushed Meat Eater Flakes) I crush the flakes in a ZipLoc freezer bag. I then pour in an equal amount of Golden Pearls and load these into a salt shaker to dispense.

This has worked well for me anyways.

John_Nicholson
11-19-2010, 08:48 AM
If you are a NADA member you can get a discount on BBS and Golden Pearls at brineshrimpdirect

-john

DonMD
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Very cool Don!

I do BBS and Golden Pearls too... I'm home most days but i figure a varied diet would be good for them. So i'm sure it would work fine using an auto-feeder!

A tip.... when ordering GP's you should get multiple micron sizes at once considering you'll probably be ordering them online (Hopefully from a SD Sponsor!) amd you'll save on shipping... after like the first week free-swimming they switch from the 50-100 micron size to the 100-200 micron golden pearls....i didnt think id need a larger size so soon when i ordered the gp's initially and was ordering more within days :-/ Oh well!

Good luck!

I use Golden Pearls 100-200 Microns, (and later 300-500 Microns), these I mix with crushed ON Prime Reef Flakes and AngelsPlus Beef Heart Flakes, (I later add crushed Meat Eater Flakes) I crush the flakes in a ZipLoc freezer bag. I then pour in an equal amount of Golden Pearls and load these into a salt shaker to dispense.

This has worked well for me anyways.

If you are a NADA member you can get a discount on BBS and Golden Pearls at brineshrimpdirect

-john

Thanks Melissa, Joe and John, I am definitely getting animated to take this on. I just have to figure out how to work in the extra time into my schedule.