PDA

View Full Version : Digital Thermometers

rich_one
11-18-2010, 02:08 PM
What do you all think of digital thermometers vs. the glass one that go in the tank? Is there any specific brand that is more recommended than another? Thanks!

-Rich

jimg
11-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I have used both I think the glass ones are more accurate. I know a lot of people use the cheap digital ones, but when I had about 7 of them, they all read way different! I guess it's like a lot of ph meters too, as long as you have a stable reading, it shouldn't matter if it's off a little. I have a $350..00 hanna meter and it reads the exact same as a $10.00 walmart acutemp so it all depends on if you picked a good one!

rich_one
11-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Ah. I figured. No need to get too fancy. Glass it is.

Jhhnn
11-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I really like the liquid crystal ATI stick-on thermometers from Kensfish. 86F, 30C, is conveniently located dead center. In normal temp rooms, they agree quite nicely with a quality spirit thermometer obtained from Thomas Scientific, guaranteed accurate within 1/2 degree Celsius.

The technology and manufacturing methods behind them are quite remarkable, providing a highly accurate and durable instrument... very inexpensive, as well.

Justice
11-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Another case of "it don't have to cost a fortune or be elaborate to work well", take Hamburg Matten Filters for example.

Ed13
11-20-2010, 08:07 PM
I really like the liquid crystal ATI stick-on thermometers from Kensfish. 86F, 30C, is conveniently located dead center. In normal temp rooms, they agree quite nicely with a quality spirit thermometer obtained from Thomas Scientific, guaranteed accurate within 1/2 degree Celsius.

The technology and manufacturing methods behind them are quite remarkable, providing a highly accurate and durable instrument... very inexpensive, as well.
Normal temp room? So is there a room temp that will make them less accurate?

Jhhnn
11-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Normal temp room? So is there a room temp that will make them less accurate?

I'm not really sure, but I suspect that cold rooms might create a significant temperature differential thru the glass, causing the stick-on liquid crystals to read a little low. They might also read a little high in a hot room, say where the room temp has risen faster than the water temp. Some contributors have kept discus in tanks in their garages in hot climates where the room and water temp rise during the daytime, subside at night. The tank temp will always lag behind changing room temp because of thermal mass...

I just felt like I needed to qualify my remarks, because I've not experienced either condition. The ATI liquid crystal thermos are definitely quite accurate in normal home environments, in my experience.

Ed13
11-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm not really sure, but I suspect that cold rooms might create a significant temperature differential thru the glass, causing the stick-on liquid crystals to read a little low. They might also read a little high in a hot room, say where the room temp has risen faster than the water temp. Some contributors have kept discus in tanks in their garages in hot climates where the room and water temp rise during the daytime, subside at night. The tank temp will always lag behind changing room temp because of thermal mass...

I just felt like I needed to qualify my remarks, because I've not experienced either condition. The ATI liquid crystal thermos are definitely quite accurate in normal home environments, in my experience.

I've always felt they were inaccurate, guess it's due to the room temp being high.

pcsb23
11-21-2010, 06:22 PM

The technology and manufacturing methods behind them are quite remarkable, providing a highly accurate and durable instrument... very inexpensive, as well.I have found similar in the UK, cost pennies and are accurate enough. My fish room is usually around 27C (80f) and they read ok.

Darrell Ward
11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
I have found similar in the UK, cost pennies and are accurate enough. My fish room is usually around 27C (80f) and they read ok.

Same here. I've used these things for years. The ones that read to 105 F are great for discus tanks and other SA fish where you want temps. in the eighties. I've found these in the reptile section of pet stores, and at Ken's Fish and JEHMCO. The "normal" ones found in pet chain stores in the aquatics dept. generally only read to 84 F.

jimg
11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I just got 8 of the ATI stick-ons. They do read low every one reads 82 when the expensive meter reads 84.2 and a $9.00 walmart digital reads 84.

Larry Bugg
11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
This is what I use. Love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017L9Q9C/ref=oss_product

jimg
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
This is what I use. Love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017L9Q9C/ref=oss_product

I will get one. cost less than a probe for my hanna! nothing worse than a meter that is off!

alpine
12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I gave up on digitals, mercury plain ones and stick ons and just use an infrared pistol like thermometer in my fishroom,
Roberto.

leeishom
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
yea, id rather have a infrared unit. especially with multiple setups. in the long term, basically covers the cost of having digital therms.

nc0gnet0
12-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I use a digital temperature controller that I get from ebay for only a small amount more than most people pay for a digital thermometer. Once calibrated, very accurate and I have piece of mind over a heater sticking on and cooking my fish. A quick glance at any of my tanks and I know the temperature immediatly, no fumbling around looking for where I left my infrared, no broken glass thermometers in my tank, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-/280596325795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4154d825a3

Can't say enough good things about these little devices. I have eight so far and not a single problem yet....knock wood!

Jhhnn
12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I just got 8 of the ATI stick-ons. They do read low every one reads 82 when the expensive meter reads 84.2 and a $9.00 walmart digital reads 84.

When was the last time you sent in the expensive meter to be calibrated? And what is the claimed accuracy range?

Just sayin'...

The stick-ons aren't accurate unless firmly attached to the tank or immersed in it...

As you noted- they all read the same! which is something you won't find in any other batch of aquarium grade thermometers, electronic or spirit type. Samples from entirely different lots manufactured years apart will also read the same from a decent supplier like ATI.

The underlying technology is truly remarkable, allowing for very accurate instruments used in all kinds of industrial processes- pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food, plastics- you name it...

richgrenfell
12-04-2010, 04:08 AM
I use an infrared as well.

RWD HERO
12-17-2010, 12:45 AM
I use a digital temperature controller that I get from ebay for only a small amount more than most people pay for a digital thermometer. Once calibrated, very accurate and I have piece of mind over a heater sticking on and cooking my fish. A quick glance at any of my tanks and I know the temperature immediatly, no fumbling around looking for where I left my infrared, no broken glass thermometers in my tank, etc.

Can't say enough good things about these little devices. I have eight so far and not a single problem yet....knock wood!

Will this work with 2 heaters?

jimg
12-17-2010, 06:53 AM
When was the last time you sent in the expensive meter to be calibrated? And what is the claimed accuracy range?

Just sayin'...

The stick-ons aren't accurate unless firmly attached to the tank or immersed in it...

As you noted- they all read the same! which is something you won't find in any other batch of aquarium grade thermometers, electronic or spirit type. Samples from entirely different lots manufactured years apart will also read the same from a decent supplier like ATI.

The underlying technology is truly remarkable, allowing for very accurate instruments used in all kinds of industrial processes- pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food, plastics- you name it...

Hanna meter is good to .8deg accurate
The hanna hi9126 meter is brand new. I also checked them with another hi9126 I have that is 2 years old and a glass floating therm and a walmart digital. All were within a half deg from each other the sticks ons were from 1.5 to 2 deg. no mistakes here!
To me it doesn't matter if they read the same, they are wrong. the ambient temp must effect them too much. If I want to know my temps, I want to know it not guess within a couple degrees, that's why I usually rely on expensive meters. Many claim their cheap tester are fine, but few check them as I do. still get what you pay for!

nc0gnet0
12-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Will this work with 2 heaters?

Yes